• This topic has 127 replies, 91 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • How many beers would you drive on?
  • zippykona

I would do a pint with a meal over the course of an evening.
    Was at a function and someone refused a 4th bottle of Peroni [330ml] as they were driving. I would have thought 3 bottles had put them over the limit already.
    Just got me thinking what is legal in the real world and what people think is acceptable.

scotroutes

Zero.

Well – I might drive later in the evening if I had a pint at lunchtime.

Edit: I used to do much, much worse. Now I’m older and (supposedly) wiser 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

*opens beer and hobnobs*

mattbee

3 Peroni would have me phoning a taxi.

nathans77
    Free Member

Can you change the title to include the words Audi S3 as well please?

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s a tough one to judge as there are so many variables. Personally, these days I just have none if I’m going to drive. Not for any sanctimonious self-righteous reasons, more because I’ll generally want another if I’ve had one. Also, if you’ve not had any, the police can’t use the smell of booze on your breath as an excuse to breathalyze you.

3 Peroni wouldn’t touch the sides.

bamboo
    Free Member

4 pints is my max

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*opens beer and hobnobs*

Weirdo. Bet you don’t like mayo either.

Vern0n
    Free Member

Two, but that’s two too many

ricky1
    Free Member

Well if you have a smash after one bottle you will be a drink driver in my eyes and probsbly the eyes of the law,if you kill someone after 1 beer whilst driving you will have killed someone drink driving,no limit is the limit,these people that say ” I can drink 10 pints and not feel drunk” are just making excuses that will get them into a lot of trouble one day,the way the police are and the law these days I wouldn’t chance a half,some others will come out with ” well this unit is equivelent to such a thing” it’s all chance,and I think the fact that everyone questions drink driving is an answer in itself.

Cougar

Well.

“Legal” is measured in alcohol levels in the bloodstream rather than consumption, so there’s no hard and fast rule on what goes in as there’s too many variables.

Peroni’s about 5% isn’t it? So a litre of the stuff would be 5 units, and an average person processes around 1 unit an hour. Had they drunk it over the space of five hours, or fifteen minutes?

Bolting a pint down your neck in the space of your lunch hour and then driving back to work might well put you closer / further over the limit than sipping a few slowly over the course of an evening.

postierich
    Free Member

Couple of pints 4% brew and a couple of packs of peanuts to soak it up! my usual after night ride ritual!

Jamie
    Free Member

Weirdo. Bet you don’t like mayo either.

I love mayo.*

*On my nips.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

And by mayo…

thegreatape
    Free Member

One pint

bruneep

zero for me. I’ve seen the aftermath of many a RTC where person who has claimed to just had “1 or 2 drinks”

Jamie
    Free Member

And by mayo…

…I mean salad cream.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Half a shandy is my limit.

So I’m a zero when it comes to driving.

philbert31
    Free Member

No more than 1 pint of Guinness, and I always try to make sure I’ve got a bit of time before id need to drive. Someone will be along shortly to tell me how Im a disgrace…. 🙄

mudshark
    Free Member

One pint unless over a long evening then two.

titusrider
    Free Member

Half pint ok, one pint if i have a couple of hours and a meal

will usually decline entirly if I’m driving anyone else around with me

scaredypants

I don’t drink at all if I’m intending to drive that day. Don’t ever drink enough now for the next day to be an issue

I probably would drive with a couple of beers in me if there was a VERY good reason, but those are bloody hard to think of just now. I suppose someone really ill and with no prospect of an ambulance in the immediate future but not very realistic, I hope.

Drove pissed when I was 18 once – so drunk at a party that a load of mates convinced me to drive them home (about 7 in a mini. I was sleeping at the party, so went back after). Still ashamed of that now

bruneep

will usually decline entirly if I’m driving anyone else around with me

eh?

So its ok to drive into another driver or pedestrian?

I just don’t get why people risk it?

MrNutt
    Free Member

none. because the two shouldn’t ever mix.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A couple with food.

Seems to be less sanctimony than usual for this topic.

matt_outandabout

None.

If there was a meal and a few hours, I might have had one pint or glass.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seems to be less sanctimony than usual for this topic.

I’m planning an early night to be honest.

jonba
    Free Member

0. Don’t need to drink so don’t see why I would if I needed to drive.

nbt

None. If i’m driving, I don’t drink. I know that two pints has me feeling the effects and I do not want to be responsible for anything happening. I don’t even like riding home after two pints, no way I’d drive

King-ocelot
    Free Member

None these days, i am not a big drinker anymore and would sooner get a taxi these days. Grassed up an old work mate after he drove home on 6 or more pints, I have no shame in grassing him up.

shermer75
    Free Member

None. If I’m driving then it’s vodka only.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is this to or from a rugby club and/or wedding reception? I’m pretty sure the law is different in those circumstances.

cardo

Love a beer or 3 but not when I’ve got to drive. Believe me if there is ever any doubt after an incident and you have had a beer you are already in the wrong, pissed or not.

Northwind

None tbh- I know i can be legal and still impaired. Well OK, very occasionally I’ll do a short hop on one but that’s very rare.

Not going to look down on people for sticking under the legal limit to be fair, I know i can get giggly on a sip of shandy.

ricky1
    Free Member

I think it’s the legal limit what encourages people to do so IMO,drink drivers make their own mind up what the limit is
    Eg after 1 pint =2 pints is the limit
    After 2 pints=3 pints is the limit
    After 3 pints……..and so fourth.

TiRed

One small bottle of beer (1.6 units), or a glass of wine.

Three units, downed quickly, will put an average adult at or above the limit. Food slows absorption slightly, but the alcohol is still absorbed. There are many variables, but the body removes about one unit of alcohol per hour (one unit = 10ml = 8g). Accumulation is guaranteed if you drink more than one unit per hour. It is a linear process;

Over a two hour meal: Four bottles of Peroni = 6.4 units. Two units are removed so the body will contain about 4.4 units. This is 4.4*8 = 35.2g of alcohol. This dissolves into 0.55 L/kg or 38.5 litres. So the blood alcohol concentration will be about 35200/38.5 mg/L = 91 mg/100 ml. That is over the limit of 80 mg/100ml and it would be illegal to drive.

If you have a crash, backwards extrapolation is a valid legal exercise, which is why so much effort is placed on understanding the disposition of alcohol.

footflaps

Is this to or from a rugby club and/or wedding reception?

I didn’t think Champagne counted?

rascal
    Free Member

One – nothing like a Stella or strong ale – I’d go for a weaker option.

parkesie
    Free Member

As soon as i open a bottle thats it not driving. If ive had alot to drink driving the morning after is of the cards aswell.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d go for a weaker option

Driving beer 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘How many beers would you drive on?’ is closed to new replies.