Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • How long to cycle 40km?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

So here’s the thing: I’m doing the cycling third of the London triathlon in August, and I was wondering what sort of time it would be reasonable to aim for. It’s gonna be flat (obvs), I’m average fitness and I’ve never done this sort of thing before so I have no idea. I just did 40km on the road circuit and it came in at 1hr 13mins. Is an hour a ridiculous expectation? I feel like I could do that in a pack with lots of drafting but apparently that’s a no-no at triathlons…

qwerty
    Free Member

Approx 1hr 13min i reckon.

bensales
    Free Member

It might be draft legal. Pretty much everything bar long distance/iron is these days. And if it is draft legal, check the rules around tri-bars if you have them.

shermer75
    Free Member

qwerty – Member
    Approx 1hr 13min i reckon.

Lolz

shermer75
    Free Member

bensales – Member
    It might be draft legal. Pretty much everything bar long distance/iron is these days. And if it is draft legal, check the rules around tri-bars if you have them.

Nice one- good to know! I’ll check that out :-). I don’t have them, but what’s the issue with tri-bars? Is because you don’t have your hands on the brakes?

Daffy

I average 33kph on my 30km ride to work and I have to slow down for traffic/junctions and usually have a bag and guards on the bike. I recon an hour is a fairly reasonable target. Not so knackered that you can’t do anything else, but not slow either.

shermer75
    Free Member

I average 33kph on my 30km ride to work and I have to slow down for traffic/junctions and usually have a bag and guards on the bike. I recon an hour is a fairly reasonable target. Not so knackered that you can’t do anything else, but not slow either.

Good to know- it’s nice to have something to aim for! 🙂

wolfenstein
    Free Member

i did 3.5hours 50k in B.Beast … that 1hour and ish is pretty outstanding dude

thecaptain
    Free Member

40k is a little shorter than a 25 mile tt so around an hour would be pretty good. Check out the draft rules and get clip-on tri-bars if appropriate – they can make a huge difference.

njee20
    Free Member

Not so knackered that you can’t do anything else, but not slow either

It’s a race, you should be unable to stand at the end of it. I think anyone who can ride around whilst saving something at >25mph is a bloody good rider.

alanl
    Free Member

As above, I used to do 25 mile TT’s, and 1 hour was a golden achievement for Club riders. Unless you are above average fitness (for cyclists), then it isnt going to happen.

My fastest time was 1hr 6 mins, on a slightly hilly course., whats that ~22mph?
    In contrast, for road racing at Mallory once, I averaged 27mph (50km iirc), my fastest ever time, but, of course, I was at the back of the pack most of the time, getting a lot of wind shielding from those in front.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure London is drafting for the elites and not for the chippers.

Get some tri bars, and a skin suit.

Daffy

But it’s a triathlon, so he’ll need to keep something back, right?

shermer75
    Free Member

So after quite a bit of searching I finally found this:

“Please note these races are elite, draft legal races and are not suitable for beginners.”

in the FAQ under “Are there any age restrictions?”, obviously!! 😉

So I guess it is draft legal? Njee20, what did you mean buy the chippers?

shermer75
    Free Member

Daffy – Member

I’m in a team of three and I’m only doing the cycling part 🙂

AndrewJ
    Free Member

He’s only doing the cycling leg of it 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve just looked at the website and there’s an actual Elite category too. Iz confused!!!! 😕

Daffy

shermer75 – Member

I’m in a team of three and I’m only doing the cycling part

Njee’s right – you should be pushing for 50 mins.

bensales
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    It’s a race, you should be unable to stand at the end of it. I think anyone who can ride around whilst saving something at >25mph is a bloody good rider.

It’s a triathlon! Being able to stand up at the end of the bike is fairly necessary! 🙂

(Cheeky edit) Just noticed the bike-leg only really bit 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

about 44 minutes 29 seconds

MaryHinge
    Free Member

It’s normally only elite race that is draft legal.

Non drafting for us mortals. And yes, bunch riding on tri bars is a no no as you can’t brake or react if something happens up front. And you can spear people with the tri bars, hence draft legal tri bars are really short and have a cross member.

Last year I did 1hr 13 mins for a 40km bike split on a tri in Wales, not flat, heavy rain and a fair wind. And I was doing the full tri so had a 10km run up a mountain to follow.

I’d say aim for an hour but it will be tough to knock 13 minutes off your current test ride. Flat out from the gun!

MrPottatoHead

I would take a look at last years results if poss which will give you a good idea of the speed for the course and what is a realistic time. Aim for a percentile you think is achievable.

From my limited recent experience (1 race) of triathlon, whilst drafting is not allowed and you won’t be tucked up someone’s arse, there will be riders all around at various times, so I think you’d get a better time than a truly solo ride.

When the quick guys go past, which they will, just try and keep them in sight for as long as possible.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Kinda depends how heavy you are on a flat course.
    A heavy guy of average fitness should probably be looking around the 1:05 mark, for a flyweight your 1:13 is not too bad.

Sandwich

Flat out from the gun!

Pick it up in the middle half and sprint for the last quarter.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

Whilst an hour is entirely possible, the reality is that averaging 40 km/h for a full hour for someone who hasn’t done this sort of thing before is a tall order. 33 km/h at a first go is respectable. If you can get some tri bars and are comfortable on them for one hour+, then that’ll buy you another 2 km/h (maybe) for no extra effort.

If you can put in the miles between now and the race, I think 38 km/h is doable. So, I’d be looking at 1:05.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Heart rate monitor could be useful to pace yourself.

nim

If the London Tri routes haven’t changed bearing mind AJ Bell v Virgin running it, it very much depends which route you’re doing. The route that goes to Tower Bridge is great and goes down the underpass by Canary Wharf. That one I’ve done in 1h 5m. The alternative route is horrible and is 4 smaller loops – one of which comes down a flyover and once you’ve got some speed you need to hit the brakes, turn around and go uphill over the flyover. That route took me 1h 18m. Quite a difference. I don’t recall which route they do on which day. And if Iirc , it’s circa 38km.

bigdaddy

I commute 40km on a moderate hilly route and manage it in 1hr, 9-10mins, although I do that 4 days a week so well used to it. With practice/training and if it’s flat ish you could get it down to something similar I reckon. It’s good fun going flat out for an hour ( all country roads for me), hurts though!

TiRed

Pace it as a 25 TT on heart rate. First third zone 3.8-4, second third 4..0-4.2 and final third at 4.2 plus. A flat course should have you down to 65 minutes with a reasonable position. An hour is possible with drafting, provided you can hold a wheel.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

So you’re doing a 25 mile TT.

There will be no drafting in the AG categories. Not being funny but read up on the rules of the event so you know what you’re entering.

Whilst an hour is entirely possible, the reality is that averaging 40 km/h for a full hour for someone who hasn’t done this sort of thing before is a tall order. 33 km/h at a first go is respectable. If you can get some tri bars and are comfortable on them for one hour+, then that’ll buy you another 2 km/h (maybe) for no extra effort.

If you can put in the miles between now and the race, I think 38 km/h is doable. So, I’d be looking at 1:05.

I think this just about covers it.

Pace it as a 25 TT on heart rate. First third zone 3.8-4, second third 4..0-4.2 and final third at 4.2 plus. A flat course should have you down to 65 minutes with a reasonable position. An hour is possible with drafting, provided you can hold a wheel.

So does this.

Read up on pacing a time trial. And triathlon is brilliant – enjoy it 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Thanks peeps! Thanks for all the advice 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘How long to cycle 40km?’ is closed to new replies.