Viewing 28 posts - 201 through 228 (of 228 total)
  • How long till everyone is on a EMTB
  • frankconway

Another thread which has spiralled away from the subject – but that’s STW.
    I think it will be many years before 50% of the mtb population are on EMTBs.
    I see e-bikes as another form of cycling; they make cycling more accessible to more of the population and can help existing cyclists to continue cycling when age/infirmity become a problem.
    I don’t have one but have zipped around a yard on a modified enduro-type which was (frighteningly) fast but was also fine for pootling and, I guess, ok for everything in-between.

dhrider
    Free Member

They are here to stay and I think they are great! Perfect for steep trails where there’s no uplift and you have no interest in the ride up. Propel your self up on the ebike then have loads of fun on the way down…. then repeat way faster than you could do pedalling with no motor.

andyrm
    Free Member

They are here to stay and I think they are great! Perfect for steep trails where there’s no uplift and you have no interest in the ride up. Propel your self up on the ebike then have loads of fun on the way down…. then repeat way faster than you could do pedalling with no motor.

^^^Summed up perfectly sir.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

They are here to stay and I think they are great! Perfect for steep trails where there’s no uplift and you have no interest in the ride up.

Works fine if that is all you ride, if not it’s another n+1 unless you can pop out the motor and battery for a normal ride, seen a few and they really don’t go the same without the extra boost there!! You can’t just ride one like a normal bike can you?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Not sure. Maybe age or injury would make me.

Price is too close to a motorbike at the moment and I’d rather buy a new motorbike than an ebike.

geex
    Free Member

You can’t just ride one like a normal bike can you?

Yes Mik
    you can
    it’s just a bit heavier.

i’m not weak though.

geex
    Free Member

seen a few and they really don’t go the same without the extra boost there!!

DH they go exactly the same switched on or off.
    how fast they go is down to the rider.
    The main thing slowing most of them down when switched off is the owners belief that you need to put supertacky DH casing plus tyres on the back of them.
    You totally don’t. They do roll like shit and are way less playful with big heavy high drag tyres fitted. I ditched the DH casing Maxgrips and ran either a dual compound 2.3 SS exo or a dual compound 2.4 HRII exo on the back of mine and it was fast rolling either switched on or off.

chiefgrooveguru

“You can’t just ride one like a normal bike can you?”

You totally can. I’ve confused some people when they’ve found that I had the assistance turned off!

easily
    Free Member

@returnoftheyak

“Should The Yak buy a JBL Boombox?”

No. The Yak should buy a Minirig:
    https://minirigs.co.uk

geex
    Free Member

God no.
    theYak should buy bluetooth headphones.
    TheYak likes runrig and dad rock driving ballads.

hols2
    Free Member

How long till everyone is on a EMTB

Just in case nobody’s said it before, the correct answer is never.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You totally can. I’ve confused some people when they’ve found that I had the assistance turned off!

On the flat or uphill? Watched people hit the limits and it cuts out or turn it off to demonstrate and it suddenly turns into a heavy bike needing a lot more effort to move it. You.cant change physics if the motor is off you need to be supplying the extra effort.

Gotama
    Free Member

Those with e-bikes, particularly Shimano driven, how receptive are the Shimano service centres re sorting a motor fault? I’m thinking of either the new YT or a Canyon. The big plus for the latter is their UK distribution is about 5 miles away so if anything goes awry i assume i can just run it back there. With the YT I would be reliant on Shimano service centres assuming it is a motor issue. The YT does look a better bike although the canyon’s seem fairly well regarded.

davosaurusrex

Have a look on here Steve;

https://www.emtbforums.com/community/threads/yt-decoy-first-ride-review-a-brilliant-ebike-with-outstanding-performance.4646/page-12#post-65575

Seems a bit inconclusive as to how YT are going to handle it, especially given the custom battery. I’d still go the YT for the better geo (stays are too short on the Canyon if you’re tall IMO) and potential improved range, I’d really like better range from my Vitus. The faff of removing the battery to charge in the house for 6 months of the year is a negative point for the YT though. It looks mint though! Get one so I can have a go

Edit to say my mate had an issue with his Vitus and CRC authorised the LBS to sort it out direct with Madison, others have had to send the whole bike back to NI though, not just the motor

geex
    Free Member

There are no Shimano STEPS authorised service centres.
    Not anywhere near me anyway. (Edinburgh/Borders)
    Just Shimano service centres. so useless.
    eg. I know more about the E8000 motor than my local Shimano service centre do.
    apparently one of their mechanics will go on a course (at some point).

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, thanks. So it’ll be a big old box back to Germany then.

Dave – will let you know, thank for the link.

geex
    Free Member

On the flat or uphill? Watched people hit the limits and it cuts out or turn it off to demonstrate and it suddenly turns into a heavy bike needing a lot more effort to move it. You.cant change physics if the motor is off you need to be supplying the extra effort.

no shit?

Depending on the motor (some have drag while others (Shimano/Brose have none) What you’ve witnessed on the flat when riders exceed the assist limit may most likely (with those motors at least) be more to do with the effect of the very heavy/draggy tyres they are running AND the fact 16mph on the flat is an achievement for many.
    Climbing?
    Yes. the bikes are 15-18lb heavier.
    That’s completely manageble for a decently fit strong rider.
    Especially now we have massive cassettes.

I pretty much never use anything lower than 36x36t (or 37t depending on the cassette) while it’s switched on. But do use the 46t (or 50t) climbing while it’s off.
    Can’t really speak for anyone else.

returnoftheyak
    Free Member

No. The Yak should buy a Minirig:

The Yak likes the look of those, unfortunately they’re way out of The Yak’s budget. The Boombox is a fair bit cheaper.

returnoftheyak
    Free Member

The Yak clearly can’t work the quote thingy.

returnoftheyak
    Free Member

“TheYak likes runrig and dad rock driving ballads.”

The Yak likes the above and much more. The Yak has an eclectic taste in music.

chiefgrooveguru

“On the flat or uphill? Watched people hit the limits and it cuts out or turn it off to demonstrate and it suddenly turns into a heavy bike needing a lot more effort to move it. You.cant change physics if the motor is off you need to be supplying the extra effort.”

On the flat it’s quicker than either my 27.5 full-sus or hardtail. Uphill it requires a bit more effort but as the total system is less than 10% heavier than it’s not a huge deal at all. You can’t change physics!

I deliberately take on difficult climbs without the motor because it’s satisfying to keep up with everyone when I’ve got the small handicap of the extra weight.

Downhill, power off, even with minimal gradient, bloody hell it gathers and carries speeds like a mofo. Have to leave plenty of space in front and recalibrate for how fast I’m hitting jumps.

nowthen
    Free Member

Reading some of this thread, its a miracle that their isnt more divorce threads on here… some of you must be right barrels of laughs to live with 🤣

cogwomble
    Free Member

I think for a lot of people, especially those outside the cycling community, it really comes down to cost.

I’ve considered throwing a mid drive kit onto an old bike in my back garden with rim brakes and 700c wheels as a commuter before now, all that’s stopped me is money.

I think e-bikes will get more people on bikes when the prices start to come down.

robcolliver
    Free Member

How long?

Sadly the bike I had, a Scott eSpark has to go back to Scott today – I got the challenge done, am very pleased Scott got on board for this and we found the limit of one battery is a whole lot further than expected by the ebike community.
    I had it for a good few winter training months and with the massive light, it was a riot to use and I get why lots of riders use them.

Bikes are like gods – everybody has their favourites;that’s why there are so many to choose from…

But, I’m back on the Tallboy and loving it too.

Please don’t give me stick.

geex
    Free Member

The Yak is too tight for most modern music equipment. The Yak should try ADSA’s George boombox range.
    The Yak’s eclecticity in music only just spans anything as modern as 4 years ago and is about as varied as Jeremy Clarkson’s wardrobe. (or CD collection)

funkmasterp

I think the yak should simply bungee cord an 80’s ghetto blaster to a pannier rack and play the breakout compilation on a C90.

Tiger

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I can see an Ebike in my future.

Decoy eh, wheres the Drakes head colour scheme?

Drake

returnoftheyak
    Free Member

Geex is clearly too dottled to realise when The Yak is playing a modern song. Geex’s ear drums obviously haven’t recovered from the mix of Aphex Twin and the sound of his voice telling The Yak exciting new e bike news.

The Yak despairs.

Viewing 28 posts - 201 through 228 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘How long till everyone is on a EMTB’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts