Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 228 total)
  • How long till everyone is on a EMTB
  • geex
    Free Member

By all means say so, but do you want to say why? I’m open to argument, but if I went swimming with someone who was using invisible fins while I wasn’t, and he was consistently able to out-perform me when I didn’t expect it, then I would be left wondering why. Hell, I might even get a bit frustrated.

In that case you’re an idiot.

Do you often “go swimming” with folk you don’t know?
    Is he one of jesus’ mates?
    I can’t think of anyone in (my version of) real life with invisible water going footwear.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I don’t know what the answer is, although I am inclined to think that if we could visually demarcate ebikes somehow, so that psychologically we made the distinction between the “pure” activity and the “assisted” activity, it would be a good thing.

Unless you’re some how cheating others, ie in a race pretending that you’re not on an emtb then I don’t see the problem, aesthetics matter to me & probably others*
    *FWIW I have an external battery.

PS, Gary tell them what you have bought, lovely looking ebike 🙂

geex
    Free Member

If, however, I knew he was using fins (i.e. they were fully visible), it wouldn’t bother me at all, as their visibility would be like disclosure.

assuming you’re trying (badly) to make some sort of comparison between “fins” and an Ebike motor.
    There’s not a single emtb that it’s not baltantly obvious has a motor.

but even if there were. WTF cares?

chvck
    Free Member

My instinctive position was that an apparently healthy dad and son riding ebikes around trails should not be confused with the rigours of actual riding.

I feel it worth pointing out that apparently healthy doesn’t mean healthy. I expect I look apparently healthy, unless you’re riding with me for a while and see me unable to stand once I get off the bike sometimes or the amount I fall off going uphill because of my balance and lack of leg strength to catch myself.

nickc

Can’t see a time when “everyone” is in an emtb, but they’re clearly here to stay. Personally I don’t care either way, I don’t get wound up by folk on them as some people on t’internet seem to it’s just another way of enjoying the countryside like horseriding or walking.

SaxonRider

In that case you’re an idiot.

Thank you for that.

Funny, though, I remember coming on here a number of years ago expressing how surprised I was that, when climbing a particularly challenging road in Cardiff, an older man who started behind me, went pedalling by seemingly effortlessly before disappearing. Naively, I hadn’t even thought of an ebike at the time, but people on here didn’t seem bothered that I might be somewhat taken aback at being passed the way I was. But I guess I’m an idiot.

I feel it worth pointing out that apparently healthy doesn’t mean healthy.

Yes, I know, and I was going to add a parenthetical comment to that effect, but figured I wouldn’t need to. I guess I was wrong. Sorry.

sharkattack

chvck
    Free Member

Yes, I know, and I was going to add a parenthetical comment to that effect, but figured I wouldn’t need to. I guess I was wrong. Sorry.

It wasn’t necessarily aimed at you :). Some (few) people do seem to forget/feel it necessary to pass negative comments when out and about though so just thought I’d bring it up.

geex
    Free Member

PMSL @sharkbait
    😀
    Needs less tabs moar weed but the rest is spot on

but people on here didn’t seem bothered that I might be somewhat taken aback at being passed the way I was. But I guess I’m an idiot.

Ok. idiot might have been a touch strong. But why would you care so much it would frustrate you?
    your hill climb in Cardiff wasn’t a race.
    Are you taken a back or frustrated when an old guy overtakes you in his car/motorbike/The Bus on the same hill?
    Do you sit in the outside lane of the motorway in your own car stopping anyone with a faster car passing you?

It’s utter madness getting wound up about Emtbs.
    and it’s utterly delusional puting them into a wee box labelled [for the old/physically challenged/Lazy/Fat etc.]
    They’re just fun.
    Loads of fun.

gotta agree with the “cyclist” comment made earlier.

Ride yer bike… But whatever you do don’t become a “Cyclist” Bunch of weirdos the lot of ’em.

scotroutes

The only thing that annoys me about the old guy that regularly e-cycles past me up the Old Logging Way is the cheery way he rings his bell 😁

deanfbm
    Free Member

Is it cheating using a 22lb xc hardtail on the climbs and a dh bike on dh tracks?

simondbarnes

What a load of shite

I’m inclined to agree! Enjoy your own ride, it doesn’t matter even a tiny little bit what others are doing / riding.

deanfbm
    Free Member

riding bikes is very serious business which shall be undertaken in an approved manner.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s utter madness getting wound up about Emtbs

Whereas constantly arguing with people about it is a sign of complete sanity

geex
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

DebZ, to be fair, you bite more than most on here! 😊

geex
    Free Member

Can we combine all the Ebike threads on here into one long thread?#

Not only would it be massively helpful but we could see whether the post count would anywhere come close to the one about a mediocre titanium gravel bike that was apparently er… “lush?”

joemmo
    Free Member

Can we combine all the Ebike threads on here into one long thread?

Thin end of the wedge that. Apply that to the forum and it’ll be left with about 5 threads.
    – e-bike grudge match
    – for the love of God, which tyres?
    – geometry wars
    – all the gravel
    – my thing is broken

Blackflag
    Free Member

Thin end of the wedge that. Apply that to the forum and it’ll be left with about 5 threads.
    – e-bike grudge match
    – for the love of God, which tyres?
    – geometry wars
    – all the gravel
    – my thing is broken

Just add in Jameso and Zwift and i think you have it covered!

funkmasterp

Ooh how did I miss another eBike thread! I don’t think I’ll ever have one mainly because I am poor, shallow and thoroughly enjoy the exercise riding under my own steam brings.

Poor – eBikes are expensive and there are more bits to break or go wrong.

Shallow – They are really ugly. I’ve only just (grudgingly) got around to admitting some full suspension bikes are okay to look at (as long as they are mainly steel)

Everyone else can go for it though. If it brings more pleasure to their riding that can only be a good thing.

andykentos
    Free Member

I am a 36 year old, relatively fit male. I just bought a trance e bike, and still own a normal reign. Living in the alps i find the ebike supremely good fun. I can go out for an hour or 2 and do all the singletrails in the area and really enjoy it.

With the normal bike sometimes its quite hard to get the motivation to go out and do a 40 minute climb for one descent, with the ebike its alot easier to decide to nip out. Still enjoy riding the reign as well, both serve a purpose.

In the terms of the extra weight, i find the trance descends very well, the weight helps it track, both bikes as fun as each other downhill, albeit in different ways…

DezB
    Free Member

DebZ, to be fair, you bite more than most on here! 😊

Absolute bollocks! Show me one single bloody thread where I get into any kind of argument! There’s no comparison.

iamtheresurrection

A friend has just bought one a week or so ago. He’s using it to commute to work, taking in a few nadgery bits along with some road/bridlepaths linking them up.

So far, while just cruising home every day at least one cyclist has either chased him down and sat behind to make a point or made a comment about being unassisted. It’s clearly
    bothered them enough. I don’t get why, although some on this thread clearly do.

I don’t think they’ll ever replace, but for those riders more interested in crashing through the woods I can see them becoming pretty dominant over the next few years. There are plenty people who don’t enjoy the slow slog back up (I do, FWIW).

That said, I’ve just ordered a Decoy to go alongside my Smuggler. I can’t see the latter getting much use for a while. I’m looking forward to those rides home after work in the battering wind when you just can’t raise any energy. 🙂

geex
    Free Member

Quite a commuter.

Just try not to think how much more “lush” a tripster would have been 😉

iamtheresurrection

There’s a couple of cheeky trails on the way in/home. Hardly warranting 160mm but I’m definitely not buying two ebikes. 😉

It’s a weekend bike really.

geex
    Free Member

160mm is actually awesome on an Eeb for otherwise fairly mediocre undulating XC singletrack. got 40 miles of it from the door here

molgrips
    Free Member

Also, @SaxonRider, just because someone is on an e-bike doesn’t mean they aren’t giving it all they’ve got just like you are.

iamtheresurrection

Looking forward to finding out. 🙂

There are a couple of potentially good trails on the way home (it’s not the way in, reversed) that look interesting but after a long day I can’t be arsed to see where they go, just to turn around if it’s a waste of effort. Plus a couple
    of really steep, technical climbs that I couldn’t do even when I was decent (a l.o.n.g time ago).

The ebike could be awesome for this sort of stuff. I can’t figure out why people aren’t intrigued by what they could potentially open up. I can think of loads of local riding which I’ve always been able to ride down, but never up. It’ll reinvent my local trails. All good 🙂

fossy

Broken back 3 years ago (road bike) – no e-bike for me at present.

Spent 3 years of trying to be able to ride a bike for more than an hour without shooting back pain. Just returned from a weekend with mates and about 4 hours in the saddle both days (8 hours).

If it get’s folk on bikes, then it’s OK. Just wish the guy that passed 7 of us on a climb would have actually shouted which way he was coming through – he went via my left elbow (I was at the side of the trail). Given his ‘attire’ he wasn’t a full on biker, but he was out at least !. Just would have been nice not to be shoulder barged.

I saw a few couples out, the missus on an e-mtb, the fella not – why not – if that makes everyone happy.

Just bought my missus a good 100mm XC full susser, just to potter about, where her hybrid can’t do it – massive overkill but got a good price (2nd hand) and it’s a cracking bike. Means she won’t feel like she will ‘crash’…

MrPottatoHead

I’m more convinced now that there is a permanent place for e-bikes than I was a few years ago and there’s room for both.

My mum has just bought a cheapish Decathlon. Not exactly the cutting edge of e-bikes but she’s an overweight 68yo so doesn’t need to be. It’s meant that her and my dad can enjoy riding together again for the first time in years, with him on a normal MTB. I’ve been quite surprised at some of the trails she’s done on it. This can only be a good thing.

geex
    Free Member

The ebike could be awesome for this sort of stuff. I can’t figure out why people aren’t intrigued by what they could potentially open up. I can think of loads of local riding which I’ve always been able to ride down, but never up. It’ll reinvent my local trails. All good 🙂

Sounds like you “get” the point massively before even having one.
    I’d been dying for them to get good enough for me to actually want one. (Geometry, suspension and weight) in the last few years or so they’ve come on in absolute leaps and bounds and we’re now at a point where there’s barely a poor Emtb out there.
    You’re going to love it!

I’ve absolutely no idea why so many others just can’t get it. or worse still refuse to out of some bizarre sort of pride in their own “achievment”. We’re grown adults pissing about on bikes FFS! They’re really not achieving anything in the grand scheme of things.
    There’s no better feeling than pissing about on bikes mind… Well… not many 😉

jameso

Just add in Jameso and Zwift

Confused … I don’t have a zwift

sirromj

I’ve absolutely no idea why so many others just can’t get it. or worse still refuse to out of some bizarre sort of pride in their own “achievment”.

People are different shocker.

geex
    Free Member

Poor fat, lazy, unfit, unachieving, landing like a sack o tatties Cedric

Cedric Gracia Joins Startup Forestal Bikes! Another e-MTB brand?

:'(

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Believing everything you read on the internet 😉

If there is anything about Cedric he is a shrewd business man, getting in on exploiting the fat lazy sack of tatties would be funny 🙂

tjagain

I’ve absolutely no idea why so many others just can’t get it. or worse still refuse to out of some bizarre sort of pride in their own “achievment”. We’re grown adults pissing about on bikes FFS! They’re really not achieving anything in the grand scheme of things.
    There’s no better feeling than pissing about on bikes mind… Well… not many

This

I can perfectly understand why some folk love ’em. I have had a great deal of fun on them. . Given unlimited space and money I’d have one and indeed I do have an ebike for utility cycling but what eMTBs are great at is a small part of my riding. Thats about me not the bikes.

When riding around town on my ebike I do apologise to folk as I whizz past them up the hills.

nickc

I’ve absolutely no idea

Glad to see you’ve finally caught up with the rest of us.

colp

Can we combine all the Ebike threads on here into one long thread?#

The E-Bike referendum – are you in or out?

It could go on for 3 years and MikeW could post in it 58 million times.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It could go on for 3 years and MikeW could post in it 58 million times.

I reckon anyone would be hard pushed to best geex on the ebiker/ewhiner threads 😉

returnoftheyak
    Free Member

The Yak has only ridden two e bikes. One was years ago and was a commuter style bike, the other a modern full suspension bike. The Yak enjoyed both bikes. The Yak got a row from the owner of the full suspension bike for changing gear too hard. The Yak doesn’t realise The Yak’s own strength.
    The Yak would probably have an e bike if The Yak could afford one, but The Yak has other things to spend The Yak’s money on. Currently The Yak is debating whether or not to buy a JBL Boombox. The Yak could put a rack on the pushbike and cycle around listening to “banging tunes” which would be enjoyable.
    Should The Yak buy a JBL Boombox?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘How long till everyone is on a EMTB’ is closed to new replies.