Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 228 total)
  • How long till everyone is on a EMTB
  • yossarian
    Free Member

I can confidently say I am better at every single fascette of actually riding a mtb than you.

Bedwetter.

geex
    Free Member

typo corrected for Dicktionary corner

geex
    Free Member

only if you pay me in advance Yossarian

ton

i may be wrong, but i am pretty sure me and WCA were the first on here tp have a ebike.
    and they were great to keep us riding through illness when we would have had to stop.

once fixed i got shot of mine asap.
    and until last week, i have had no desire to get one.
    i almost bought one this week, but something told me not to surrender just yet. i like to suffer, it is one of the reasons i cycle.

in the future possibly, but hopefully no in the too near future.

tjagain

Geex – I built one that was sub 40 lbs and I still prefered my sub 25 lb mtb to ride ( actually it was the ssme bike :-). Range just is not enough for much of what I like to do – unless run with minimal to no assistance in which case whats the point? I see them for stormtroupers at trail centres working OK – but for multiday offroad touring? Long rides of 50 mile plus?

Incremental improvements is all we have seen. To get a 30lb ebike with a 60 mile range will take a paradigm shift

Don’t get me wrong – I enjoy riding them but the limitations / compromises mean they don’t really work for me for the sort of offroad riding I like.

tjagain

Geex was saying he is a better rider than me – and apart from physical endurance he will be correct. Remember we have ridden together in real life.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to @yossarian for the points about access rights and perception.

@lister
    – I’ll let you know in a couple of weeks about needing one in your sixties 😉

I can’t see myself using one for the foreseeable future, I’m not going to say never, I might develop a heart condition or similar but on current performances it will be a while before I’d consider one.

geex
    Free Member

TJ what you “built” is massively irrelevant to how capable, versatile and maneouverable a good modern Emtb these days is.

a range of 60miles isn’t actually difficult by simply carrying a spare battery.
    for mountainbiking*, why would it need to be 30lb? (serious question?)

WTF are you on about stormtroopers for? (this sin’t even a thing)
    trail centres are full of everyone from complete beginners to professional riders. Young to old, families, groups and folk looking for a quick “fun” ride in a safe all weather (mtb on a plate) environment.

*multiday off-road touring isn’t mountainbiking

You’re once again absolutely clueless about the subject.

tjagain

I like a light bike. to me its nicer to ride. Simple as that.

Ermm – I bet I have riden in and around mountains much more than you 🙂 That would make me more of a mountainbiker.

Game set and match!

tjagain

Oh – and the motor kit I used is actually as nice to ride as a bosch. they stopped making it as the market for high end add on kits collapsed and they couldn’t compete on price with the bosch motor with Bafeng mopping up the cheapo end for add on kits

I think you would be surprised how nice a piece of kit it is.

kelvin

… and apart from physical endurance he will be correct

Sounds like a key faucet* of mountain biking to me.

*childish giggles

Anyway, all pointless as regards the original post. One day I hope most homes have an eBike… I’ve been saying that on here for a decade… but of course bikes without any powered assistance will still be bought, owned, and ridden. Why on earth wouldn’t they be? They are ace in so many use cases, from pub ride to scaring yourself silly off-road, and always will be.

OwenP

They are very, very expensive. That’s in comparison to purchasing a trail bike from a manufacturer like Commencal, Vitus, YT etc where the whole direct sales thing seems to be bringing out great bikes with a good spec at really competitive prices. I’m not sure how much more exactly I’d be willing to pay to go E properly, but currently 1.5 to 2k more is just too big a step for me.

Will prices come down quickly, or will everyone start accepting that (full sus) bikes start at £3.5k? I’ve no other opposition to the idea of having one though.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Here in the south of Germany it would appear almost everyone! From E-shopping bikes, e-fat bikes, e-road bikes and last week i even saw an e-childs bike, they have really taken off here. I can see the benefits for most – but for me, at the moment i prefer to put the effort in with my legs. (Although, it’s super frustrating when some of the e-road bikes come past up some of the longer climbs!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shit the bed.

Riding bikes in mountains isn’t mountain biking

But taking them round Mx tracks with 12ft step ups is.

Where does your book of definitions place 24 hours round a field in the terms of mountain biking…or is that intact a road bike time trial ?

tjagain

I see them as becoming ever more popular for utility cycling. Pulling a trailer with 50+ lb of stuff back from B&Q is where they really shine or when yo9 have to make your third ride up to town from leith in a day

sync
    Free Member

Timely question, as I type a MTB riders group just went passed the cafe I’m in. All nice £££ bikes, riders looked late 30s to early 50s and 1/2 were eMTBs.

martinhutch

I can confidently say I am better at every single fascette of actually riding a mtb than you.

Surfmatt walks among us again. Rejoice!

geex
    Free Member

It’s not **** tennis TJ. Despite living in a nicer area I’m still not posh enough. 😉

I actually bet you haven’t ridden mtb in or around more mountains than me and I’d put money on me having ridden way more elevation in real mountains than you ever will.
    I also bet your endurance fitness is no better than mine.
    your threshold for dull riding is massively greater than mine. i’ll give you that.

FYI:
    I don’t even have an ebike just now (Haven’t had mine here for over 2 months).
    I’ve been riding mainly my 4X bike, road bike and enduro bike in that time (with a l’il bit of BMX, some shitey just eat city bikes and a couple of short Emtb test rides)
    I prefer riding all of my non-ebikes to my Emtb.
    The emtb is great as another bike (got loads, eh?). But I wouldn’t want to have only an emtb either.

I like light bikes too
    100mm 4X hardtail is 25lb, roadbike 18, BMX 18, 170mm Enduro 30, DH bikes 35.
    Emtb 47

geex
    Free Member

Mothercare sell sheets for that Terry

Superficial
    Free Member

What’s the biggest wheelie you’ve done geex? Bet mines bigger.

Ps Does that give me any more right to have an opinion on mountain bikes?

tjagain

I seem to remember you running out of steam when we rode together a few years back – and i had ridden 15 miles more than you 🙂 As for elevation?

Don’t froth so much Geex It makes you look silly.

Still happy trails old chap

kayak23

trail_rat
    Free Member

Can see the head lines now . Cory Wallace elects to ride ebike at 2019 24hour world champs as it makes even dull rides come alive.

(Still as much part of the wide ranging definition of mountain biking as sending it gravity assisted over a 12 ft step up and leaving the back end hanging out -even if you don’t think it is)

singlespeedstu

Top work there Sofaking.

It’s like shooting fish in a barrel.
    You going to start a new thread with pics of your nice new bike or post them on this one?
    🤣

greyspoke
    Free Member

For those that have a few bikes, and who can afford an ebike, I suspect they will become one of the types of bike such people own, along with their commuter, road bike, XC bike, trail bike and so on. Just another competitor for garage space really.

scotroutes

For those that have a few bikes, and who can afford an ebike, I suspect they will become one of the types of bike such people own, along with their commuter, road bike, XC bike, trail bike and so on. Just another competitor for garage space really.

TBH I’d currently rather spend that money on a motorbike.

couchy
    Free Member

I’m mainly an ebiker and I ride for the Adrenalin buzz of riding as quick as I can, if I had a downhill centre and lift on my doorstep that is all I would do but as I don’t the bike turns lots of trails into faster trails. Most I speak to on the trails are riding a bike for the physical challenge too so will never ride an ebike, they also seem to struggle to understand why anyone would ride for the reasons I give.
    They also make the mistake that an ebike takes away the physical effort, it doesn’t if you choose to try as hard as on a normal bike, at my local trail centre I’m 20-25mins quicker round a red route than on a normal bike, that’s the difference the ebike makes. If I went the same speed as my normal bike I wouldn’t get a workout but I don’t I use the power to add to the speed not to make the ride easier. Extra speed also gives me the incentive to try harder I don’t get that incentive going uphill slowly puffing out my arse which goes back to the main reason I use one and that’s not for fitness

My time on the ebike is also the same as the fastest rider on a normal bike, that being a top class racer so it shows how much speed the ebike adds which shows how much excitement it adds.

I have however just bought a new normal bike as my fitness has increased loads so I can now enjoy a more gentler ride which goes against why I started on an ebike 6 months ago 😀😀

greyspoke
    Free Member

Actually, is anyone/ does anyone know of an e-mtber who doesn’t also ride a normally aspirated one?
    That crossed with crouchy’s post

greyspoke
    Free Member

TBH I’d currently rather spend that money on a motorbike.

Different sports, how many motorbikes would you have in the garage?

walleater

My serious answer to what I don’t think is a serious question is that the bikes will still continue to struggle with weight. I don’t agree that weight will come down to what I’d call acceptable levels due to the increase in wear and tear on these bikes. We are getting E-tires, brakes etc all beefed up to handle the extra forces placed on the bikes which will partially counter-act the weight losses elsewhere. Drivetrains are getting worn out fast due to the extra load placed on them too. Which leads us to the whole ‘strong, light, cheap, choose two’ scenario. Sram make an E-specific drivetrain but have you seen the price of it?! Will motors get lighter without an increase in price? Many of them sound like the bearings have dried out within a few months as it is. Creaky bottom bracket? Time for a new motor I guess? You gotta pay to play.

I also find it amusing doing updates on these things and seeing what mode people run them in most of the time. Full turbo! Why? We’ll if you don’t then they always feel less efficient than an ‘acoustic’ bike to me due to the weight, and guessing here but I bet pedaling a bike with a motor is sucking some of the efficiency out of the system. They are certainly horrible to pedal unassisted.
    So you end up with a bike that’s 45lb+ that you have to run in max assistance all the time that’s wearing out parts like there’s no tomorrow, and good luck lifting it into the back of your car, truck etc. Or maybe we’ll get lighter bikes that cost as much as a car and still less fun than ripping around Cannock Chase on a 23lb hardtail. Given the choice of riding a 50lb bike around Cannock or slathering my cock and balls with fresh blood and waving them at an angry Pit Bull, I think I’d go with the latter.

sofaking
    Free Member

“You going to start a new thread with pics of your nice new bike or post them on this one?” will save that for another day Stu 🙂

singlespeedstu

greyspoke has kind of hit on a very good point there that gets overlooked by a lot of the haters.
    I sometimes ride my ebike and I sometimes ride one of my other non ebikes.
    I’ve just come back from a weeks riding in Spain and on the same trip were a couple where the guy was almost 70.
    He was on a normal bike like everyone else on the trip but kept saying that he’d “not given up” and wouldn’t buy an ebike until he had.
    Seems a waste that he’ll wait until he’s unable to ride offroad and enjoy it.
    He had no problem getting in the uplift bus but thought that ebikes were “cheating”
    Seems a bit odd to me.
    The suggestion of buying one and self uplifting seems totally lost on some people that will quite happily sit in a bus or on a chairlift.

singlespeedstu

will save that for another day Stu 🙂

Another day another bit of fun ay.😎

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Never, they are shit

singlespeedstu

A really strong case with an insightfull back up of evindence there wildly.

mooman
    Free Member

tjagain

I see them as becoming ever more popular for utility cycling.

The drug dealers Deliveroo vehicle in Newport it would seem.
    One cut me up as it delivered its little white wrap as I cycled back home after todays club ride … they are pretty fast!

Maybe not quite yet – but I definitely see me getting one in the future.
    In our club the old fellas do their own club ride because inevitable they cannot keep up on the climbs, or if the pace picks up a couple mph with the younger riders. So if an ebike provided a bit of electric assistance to keep up with the group – I see them as a great option.

But of course they need to get much lighter and offer more distance than they do presently.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

No worries, glad to be of service

Point still remains, they are shit.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Can’t see them replacing non battery powered bikes altogether. They don’t interest me at moment but I dare say one day I’ll be looking at them as my body falls apart!

ajantom

I can confidently say I am better at every single facet of actually riding a mtb than you.

Can we please have a Singletrack poll over there >
    Question is – “How much of a cockwomble do you think Geex is?”
    a) Mildly cockwomblish.
    b) A big cockwomble.
    c) A cockwomble of deathstar proportions.

geex
    Free Member

I seem to remember you running out of steam when we rode together a few years back – and i had ridden 15 miles more than you 🙂

*sigh*
    No TJ. I’d ridden to the starting point of that ride aswell so we’d probably ridden roughly the same distance. The main difference between us is ‘how’ we ride. not the distances. always has been and probably always will.
    Riding along sat down for ages just turning the cranks at a steady pace and rarely putting any more body language than turning the bars slightly isn’t really tiring in the slightest and doesn’t really take a huge level of endurance fitness. I just find riding like that on any mtb incredibly dull and prefer sprinting about popping wheelies and manuals and putting more effort into the faster, twistier flat and descending parts of all the rides I do. Infact I even find riding my roadbike that steadily pretty dull.
    I wouldn’t want an Ebike at all if I rode like you.

Arrange another ride out this way and if I’m free I’ll gladly lead it for you. My local trail knowledge here is very good. (I might even warn you before leading you in to any gap jumps and doubles) It’s been ages and yer craik is better in person.
    Bring sheckles for a bevy as well.

The only time I ever froth is from my cock not my head and it’s certainly never going to be caused by anything you type on a forum 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘How long till everyone is on a EMTB’ is closed to new replies.