Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long should this road route / commute take??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Am toying with the idea of getting shot of one of the family vehicles and getting a road bike. Never ridden a road bike, not particulary fit at the minute but im not overweight and wouldnt take long to get my legs.
    Commute would be 11 miles with 950ft of climbing Its 4 main climbs but nothing major.. All pretty much minor roads and B roads.
    Any ideas how long this would take?

crikey
    Free Member

30-40 minutes.

scaredypants

20 minutes, unless it’s snowy

and then push a bit harder on the ride home – get a sweat up

aP
    Free Member

An hour to start with.

Junkyard
    Free Member

30 – 60 mins depending on how fast you are and/or how hard you try.
    I used to go slow in – we had no showers- and fast home

cloudnine
    Free Member

20 minutes!! It takes me about 20 mins to drive (a different route but same distance on A roads), park and walk to work. Thanks for the replies.. Im pretty keen but probably the only thing really holding me back is tiredness at the minute as we have a 7 month baby, 3 and 5 year olds.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Are you going up the climbs then down again or up then along then up again? Or to put it another way, is your start point at the same height above sea level as your finishing point?

& which way is the wind blowing?

On my commute my fastest time to work was 41 minutes for 15 miles with a tailwind. Next morning into a headwind it took me 1.5 hours to get home cos my legs refused to work.

richpips
    Free Member

Fron what you’ve said.

50 mins for starters.

You’ll beat that soon though.

nick1962
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

20 minutes, unless it’s snowy

33 mph with 950 feet of climbing. I wouldn’t bother with commuting get signed up by Sky for the next TDF.

beefheart
    Free Member

Depends on the weather/wind, but probably 40 minutes ish if you’re reasonably fit….

Do it, do it….

tarquin
    Free Member

11 miles is just under 18km. 2 minutes per km on average so 35 minutes.

mrmo
    Free Member

work on 15mph being sustainable day in day out.

chives
    Free Member

My 10 mile loop has similar climbing, takes me typically 45 mins on the mtb. Doesn’t seem to make much difference if that’s on slicks or knobblies TBH.

billytinkle
    Free Member

My commute is pretty similar and took 50 mins on a slick shod MTB, now takes 40 mins on a CX bike.

Time taken can vary, I have a rail crossing and a number of traffic lights to contend with – these can screw your average speeds quite easily, as can head winds.

RustySpanner

Take an hour.

Mile’s about 12 miles but a bit hillier.
    I try to make it up on the descents, but that’s where the traffic is.

Only done it a few times so far, usually arrive with a few minutes to spare.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long should this road route / commute take??’ is closed to new replies.