Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How long should shirt sleeves be?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Should long sleeve shirts be the right lenght when your arms hand and then show a bit of wrist when you raise or bend your arms or should they be a little too long when you hang your arms and then pull to the correct length when you raise or bend your arms?

elliptic
    Free Member

A little bit too long, so the cuffs show (half an inch) when you're wearing a suit jacket.

(IMHO. Not that I ever wear a suit jacket. Or a long-sleeved shirt without rolling up the sleeves…)

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I'd say right length when arms in out straight in front of you. That way your not restricted and those nice £30 cuff links you've bought don't disapper up your suit when you bend your arms

i_am_JC
    Free Member

I'll often roll my shirt sleeves up, but won't wear short sleeved shirts (they just don't feel right).
    But I'd agree with the right length when you hold your arms out.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Just above the elbow for ventilation and comfort, and then only if you can't get away with a polo shirt.
    Under a suit though, yea, sticking out (I basically only wear suits for "events" so may not be expert in the area).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Not that I ever wear a suit jacket at work. I also agree about ahort sleeve shirts. Feels much better to roll the sleeves up.

TooTall
    Free Member

"Sleeve length – You will need some assistance for this. First bring your elbow up to the same height as your shoulder. Now bend your elbow so that your upper and forearm is at an angle of approximately ninety degrees.

Now for the assistance, you should be measured from the middle of the back (point A), along the back of the arm and around the elbow towards the wrist (point B). Choose where you would like your cuff to rest on your wrist and read the measurement at that point."

Your call, but close to the wrist bone at the above point.

Onzadog
    Free Member

cheers for that Tootall. I guess that originally came with a diagram but I guess point A is big nobbly bit at the top of the spine.

jonb
    Free Member

Ask your tailor.

ourmaninthenorth

For me, 33 inches.

But I am only short.

Onzadog
    Free Member

jonb – Member
    Ask your tailor.

We clearly move in very different circles
    🙄

TooTall
    Free Member

For me, 38 inches.

But I am mostly simian.

Point A is the spine – yes. Any of the shops on Jermyn St in London will be able to assist!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How long should shirt sleeves be?’ is closed to new replies.