• This topic has 43 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • How long is your stem?
  • bol

I've just swapped my 90mm for a 70 on my xc bike, and am about to go out on it for the first time. Hoping it will quicken the steering a bit, but not make it too twitchy. I use pretty wide lowrise bars. What sort of stem length do you lot run on your xc bikes then, and am I just trying to be trendy?

bonesetter
    Free Member

I use a 50 for my XC riding – short stems always look RAD and cool at the trail head

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

100mm stem for xc. Tried an 80mm stem but it was all wrong…too short for climbing and put your weight in wrong place for decending with seat up ass. Should also say i come from a dh background and hadnt ridden anything longer than a 50mm stem before i got my whippet machine.

westkipper
    Free Member

120mm/110mm depending on bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

120 on my merida

60 on my gary fisher rig – genisis geo means long TT short stem

road bikes a 110 and the cross bikes a 90

toys19
    Free Member

40, 40, 50 and 55

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

80mm on the full susser, 90mm on the Hardtail and 110mm on the roadie

zaskar
    Free Member

Went from 120mm to 70mm.

Have 90mm lined up.

(120mmm on my road bike)

SilentSparky
    Free Member

100mm on the HT commuter, 50-60mm on the others…

momo

90mm, used to run a 120mm stem, dropped about 9 years ago, wouldn't go shorter on this frame though, feels just right as it is.

the-muffin-man

105mm on my (old skool) Ti Inbred

thomthumb
    Free Member

70mm

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

90mm on mtb (short travel hardtail) 120mm on road bike

steve_b77
    Free Member

65mm on FS – 130mm travel
    90mm on HT – 115mm travel
    100mm on Roadie
    100mm on SS commuter

ahwiles
    Free Member

Dh: 50
    xc: 70
    road: 80

(units are in mm)

warpcow
    Free Member

80mm on trail-type HT
    110mm on XC SS HT

I actually prefer the stretched out position but the shorter one suits its purpose.

UK-FLATLANDER

90mm

grantway
    Free Member

65mm Straightline with zero degrees on me Orange 5 AM

Teetosugars
    Free Member

50mm on the Heckler
    70mm on the Handjob
    90mm on the CX
    120mm on the Road

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

trance:
    was 60,
    tried 50
    found a bargain thomson 70 and it does feel better length wise.

marin quake dh – 50

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

I had an XC race bike and got into more AM type riding so thought it would make sense to swap out the 100mm stem for a 70mm and to be honest it did improve the feel for jumps and drop ins but having just changed my bike for a Orange P7 with a 90mm stem I realise just how wrong the other bike was. I guess what I'm saying is, it depends on the angles and travel of fork what is going to be right on your bike and don't try to turn an XC bike into an AM bike.

bol

Orang Hutan, I think that's what I'm worried about. The head angle is 71 degrees, so it is only ever going to be a traditional xc hardtail. It's got a bloody long top tube though, so I thought it might make sense.

As it turns out I won't fnd out how it rides tonight anyway, as I just found two broken spokes as I went to take my bike out. I obviously need to keep my wheels on the ground more – and probably stick to a longer stem too.

mmb
    Free Member

60mm hussefelt on an 09 chameleon

Hairychested
    Free Member

70mm on the Heckler
    90mm on my 69er 456SS
    90mm on the Gary Fisher HT (12" frame though)
    70mm on the Scott Octane

solarider
    Free Member

45mm on Freeride bike
    90mm on TT bike
    100mm on CX bike
    120mm on Road bikes
    120mm on XC bikes

But in the end, whatever feels right. The 'shorter the better' camp is all good if it doesn't make you too cramped, and a longer stem does open your chest out to breath better.

Use whatever length gives you the right reach for your intended use.

Northwind

50mm on the Hemlock, 60mm on the Soul. Got a 70mm and an 80mm lying around for when the urge takes me but I much prefer to sacrifice a little climbing manners for the benefit the rest of the time.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I wonder how the length of stem relates to the 'trail' of your fork.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

90, 90 and.. er.. 90.
    That's on an Enigma Steel hardtail, Kona Kula SS and an 05 Trance with 120mm forks. They've all got pretty much the same top tube length, all about medium size, and I'm about 5ft10. I've found my comfy point and I'm sticking to it.
    I did have an 18" inbred which ended up with a 70mm Thomson. Right size, but it used to wheelie up hills. Ripped down them though. Compared to the Enigma it was like riding a bike made of jelly.

bonesetter
    Free Member

How do find your Steel Enigma?

Edric64
    Free Member

110mm to 150mm depending on which bike it is on

M6TTF
    Free Member

Just swapped out my 100 for an 80 on my fuel ex. (19.5") as I was getting aching shoulders and neck – feels better

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

How do find your Steel Enigma?

Mines a bit of a special one… They were looking for a factory to see if the mass of steel suff could be moved east to open the market a bit.
    However, I agree with Jim. The quality just aint the same that they offer. The welding on mine is rough but does the job. I love their ideas about shape and size though.

kimbers

i find short stems 50-65 mm improve the handling no end on the especially on the descents good for singletrack too, never noticed much of a difference on the climbs so well worth it ime

Bagstard
    Free Member

45mm on the DH bike, 50mm on the XC,DH,AM,hardtail. 90mm on my commuter. There are times I would prefer a few extra mm :-), but I'm now used to the wide bar/short stem thing, plus the ht has a long top tube.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

2x 50, 1x 70, 1x 90, 100 on the road bike, 120 on the fixie hack

thefallguy
    Free Member

1 x 80, 1 x 90

firestarter
    Free Member

50mm , 70mm , 90mm , 100mm , 110mm

chunkypaul
    Free Member

used to run 90mm on most bikes, but have recently gone shorter with a 65mm on my orange five and a 70mm on a turner sultan and these have been fine

but really struggling with the most recent change on my cotic soul, 90mm to 70mm, now my 27" bars feel too narrow, i can't climb any steep technical bits (weights too far back) and long steep descents are horrible, it feels like i'm kissing the front wheel… confused!

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

70 on anything that I have to climb out of the saddle on (bash my knees on the shifters with a 50)

50 on the Stinky

I'd put 50 on everything but with a standard 23" ish TT length the total cockpit is a little short for climbing

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

double post. sorry

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How long is your stem?’ is closed to new replies.