How long have you been frequenting the forum?

Home Forum Chat Forum How long have you been frequenting the forum?

Viewing 41 posts - 91 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • How long have you been frequenting the forum?
  • I wish I could ‘frequent’ it a little more often! I’ve dipped in and out when I’ve been able to for a year now – and found the site by word of mouth! It’s been wonderful! The knowledge, general caring for other humans and humour make me come back as often as possible. I can quite actually say that without the forum, I wouldn’t be where I am today (bike wise)…. I met a ton of absolutely wonderful people through this website! Portlyone needs a thanks as he made my first mtb ride happen! I think I’d still be pottering around north mancheste trails if it wasn’t for him!
    It’s a BRILLIANT forum and I thank all who need thanking for making it is what it is! (wish I could contribute a little more though ….)
    Many thanks you bunch of wollys who make me laugh a lot!!!
    (Will I be saying all that after ten years I wonder….. :wink:)

brack

10 years…

My oh my how life has changed…joined when I was renovating a large property with my ex, remember logging on amongst rubble from the build.

The stress of the build and a realisation that we wanted different things from life saw me walk down the driveway of my dream home and partner of 12 years with just a rucksack on my back.

Travelled the world as a remote medic – some interesting jobs in some ridiculously dangerous situations – Afghan, Pakistan, India, Borneo etc etc

Came back on/ off after a couple of years..lived out of the back of my VW T4 for a year whilst working as a Paramedic – helping the homeless whilst never letting on I was homeless myself.

Bought a farm in Romania

Got back on the property ladder here in the UK.. met a local lass.

Sat writing this with a 5 day old beautiful boy fast asleep next to me…

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

brack, quite touching, but the soul mate bit was clearly wrong, unless you are having second thoughts ๐Ÿ˜‰

brack

๐Ÿ˜€ sorted it..you are quite correct.

No regrets here

From issue 1, when I rode a bike with rubbish gears and no suspension , now I ride a rigid bike with one gear. How things change ๐Ÿ˜†

bernard

Just had a look at the classic threads thread forgot the forum used to look like that, brings back some memories. Hadnt beed a member long and met a bloke who said he was on here as ‘Beer’ said he had been banned anyone remember him?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Longer than some, not as long as others.
    Made some good mates off here in that time ๐Ÿ™‚

CountZero

I remember Beer, but no more than that.

Since the GOFAR days for me too, couldn’t tell you what year that was though

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

bernard – Member

Just had a look at the classic threads thread forgot the forum used to look like that, brings back some memories. Hadnt beed a member long and met a bloke who said he was on here as ‘Beer’ said he had been banned anyone remember him?
    Oh we remember, but you are obviously beer & I claim my ยฃ5!

bernard

nope I’m not, he was guiding in spain where we were on hols one year. He was banned around the time I joined so I never knew him on here he would never divulge why he had been banned and seemed okay in the flesh was always curious.

Premier Icon 2unfit2ride
    Subscriber

What, bi curious?

bernard

no ale curious

zokes

Aye, about 10 years for me

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

Before ormondroyd and I have all the scars including emails from Chipps and Mark

freddyg

I joined in 2002 (I think). I found the place shortly after getting into biking while looking for advice on lights for my first night ride.

It’s a great forum full of humour and compassion and has helped me with many things over the years. I even announced the birth of my son here before I told the rest of my family – back in 2005! I dread to think how much time I’ve spent here when I should have been working!

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

scotroutes – Member
    “epicyclo ยป …Lost my original username too, which was a bummer.”
    I can see why you changed it. Was the “A” short for something?

Genius!

I was puzzled by this. I was sure I didn’t have the letter A in my original username and this sailed straight over my head until it hit me this morning. ๐Ÿ™‚

slowoldgit

GoFar and issue one, remembering the night beer got outed as The Troll, DST1 who became dizzy. Oh, and the famous wedding tackle pic.

Since 2003 here. I was Chas_T until their server blew up (2008?) when I fancied a new nom de plume.

yetidave

since the summer of 2006, started a new job and was introduced by a new college – Not forgiven him yet!

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

I reckon 7-8 years ,
    although my dependency/activity has increased as the years have passed by…… ๐Ÿ™

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I used to come here when it was all fields

I’M 96 YOU KNOW!! STILL GOT ALL MY OWN TEETH!!!!!!

yossarian

Around 10 years for me. Started off as faster_slower then became yossarian after the great hack.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

No idea.
    Pre-hack certainly. Oldest email I can find referencing STW is from 2007.
    Used to frequent Bikemagic some 13 years ago, and made the switch a couple of years later I think.

I’ve got the same username on road.cc, but don’t post as much on there.
    I’m getting opld though as I’ve just registered on yacf…

Premier Icon michaelbowden
    Subscriber

Somewhen in 2001, but post GoFar. Just after I got my first ofice job after coming off the tools. BM before that.

Premier Icon momo
    Subscriber

About 8 years here, had the same username pre-hack too.

2001 IIRC.

Am I right in thinking there used to be some kind of annual STW gathering/feast back in the day?

LenHankie

Since just before the Great Hack, so sometime around Xmas 2008.

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Spring 2003 for me just before my first trip to Verbier on the girlie week.

surfer

Pre 2000 I think. Daisy Duke introduced me to it when we worked together.

Premier Icon annebr
    Subscriber

A long time with a big gap in the middle.

Bought the first mag so was around then.

Premier Icon chalky
    Subscriber

Bought issue 2 of the mag and promptly found the forum, so over 10 years. This place used to kill my productivity in the early days when I was working as a web designer. Could spend all day here reading stories and chatting. Best mtb (and a bit of everything else) forum on the web if you ask me.

@Spacemonkey. Yes. I remember a trip up Snowdon was organised, which I intended to go to but my car broke down shortly after leaving home so never made it to the Llanberis car park!

Premier Icon chalky
    Subscriber

@slowoldgit, Didn’t Hora take Beer’s place as the resident Troll after the outing?

Reluctant

Must have signed up in 2001 or 2002, I’d guess. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since 13 March 2009

Premier Icon Hobster
    Subscriber

Since 2006, first thread I can remember was Binners recollection encountering a gentleman dressed in a corset whilst out riding.

camo16

A smidge over two years.

It feels longer.

Sidney

3 or 4 years I think though feels a lot longer! Long enough to know the etiquette of a rant and short enough to not have done one yet!

z1ppy

10 year of posting drivel IIRC, and I’m still posting drivel….consistent if nothing else ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Premier Icon Bunnyhop
    Subscriber

Summer of 2006. Before that date I was a lurker and sometimes (naughtily) posted from hubby’s a/c.

Still love the photos,humour and helpfullness of the forums.

hora

2002 here. No I was sealoin. I asked for ‘hora’ to be deleted in a self-strop.

I remember when you didn’t have to sign in all the time as ‘you’. The amount of times I typed a name and claimed I was them….. 8)

In the begining it was hilarious, great fun.

I also remember the female STW posting on here- who gave her email? to a STW about something she needed help with, he misread her intent and she received a picture of his manhood. Whoooa. Creepy.

Viewing 41 posts - 91 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘How long have you been frequenting the forum?’ is closed to new replies.