Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • How long from “I’ll keep it, it’ll come in useful”, to it coming in useful?
  • IHN

I’ve had a couple of straps from some old toeclips in the “shoe box of stuff” in the garage for, well, let’s face it, when’s the last time anyone used toeclips? I never threw them away cos I thought that, at some point, they might come in useful.

And I was right! Last night I used one of them to cinch down the frame bag that I’ve just bought (that came with pretty crap straps itself, it must be said), and it worked a treat.

So, I reckon that’s the thick end of 25 years between “might come in useful” to “came in useful”. Anyone beat that?

IdleJon

If you hadn’t found the toe straps what else would you have used? As in, how much more clutter do you have? (I’ve got loads of velcro straps in varying sizes that I could use I don’t need that many velcro straps) 😀

ampthill

I took an old OS map on a trip to Carsington in May. It didn’t have Carsington Water on it

stumpy01

It’ll come in useful 3 days after you’ve decided you’re never gonna use it & taken it to the tip – or is that just me?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Toe straps are also the dogs dangling bits for seating difficult tyres.
    They do not help in removing them

fazzini

37 years, 5 months, 4 days…

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

It’ll come in useful 3 days after you’ve decided you’re never gonna use it & taken it to the tip – or is that just me?

This, usually about a week for me but no longer than a month, and ill search for it for about half hour before i remember i got rid of it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Toe straps. I collect them at all opportunities.
    Haven’t climbed really since 92 but still dig bits of kit out for other purposes. My 1981 ice axe was dug out tother day for metal detecting work.

desperatebicycle

Still counting the days on many many It’ll-come-in-useful-one-day pieces of junk in my garage. Those QR straight steerer 130mm Fox Vanilla 26″ forks with the worn stanchions, for example… I reckon one day they will be Just The Thing!

IHN

I took an old OS map on a trip to Carsington in May. It didn’t have Carsington Water on it

I like this a lot

the-muffin-man

I have two brand new pairs of ratchets for Shimano M180 shoes.

I don’t have the shoes anymore, and no one else is likely to have any that haven’t fallen apart.

I still can’t throw them away though! 🙂

choppersquad
    Free Member

I keep old tyres and used chains because’you never know when they’ll come in handy’.
    Actually I do know…the answer is never.

fettlin

“um, hi, my name is Fettlin and I have a problem…”

I really dont like throwing things away if they have a potential use, no matter how far down the line. It comes from my dad, who would make a whole series of Britain Biggest Hoarders! From old tractors, mowers, house radiators, block paving lifted from Worcester high street, kitchen sets of saucepans, old car radios even a couple of washing machines, if it ‘may’ in some warped reality have some undetermined use in the future, its kept ‘just in case’.

I dread to think how much stuff he has or how long its been kept for, but I know there is a Parquet Floor that was lifted from a school in Worcester sometime in the late ’70s that is going to be used in our kitchen soon, so 50+ years and counting!

dovebiker

I had a work colleague who upon clearing his father’s possessions from the house following his demise was a box named “pieces of string too short to be useful” 🤣

The bird feeder hanging from the tree in my garden is suspended from a piece of Troll tubular climbing webbing, purchased in Nevisport circa 1979. In later years it has been used as a lifting strop for the removal of car engines and hanging a kayak from my garage roof.
    I still have some Binda toe-straps from the early 80s somewhere in my garage.

tartanscarf

1 day after bin day, having binned it after keeping it forever.

dc1988

I did once sell something, years later I needed it. I won’t make that mistake again

fossy

I use old toe straps as an additional strap on the front wheels when on the car rack – stops the front wheel ocscilating at speed.

Always save old nuts and bolts !

ampthill

I had a work colleague who upon clearing his father’s possessions from the house following his demise was a box named “pieces of string too short to be useful” 🤣

Beyond priceless

martinhutch

Inherited some old jam jars of assorted nails when we moved in 15 years ago. Probably 70s/80s vintage. Used some of them last week.

I still have keys for the house I grew up in somewhere. Must go and give them a go at some point.

reeksy

“pieces of string too short to be useful”

Straight out of Adam Buxton’s Ramble book 😉

I have a massive shed full of crap that might come in useful someday… maybe

dyna-ti

I’ve also got piles and piles of things deemed ‘Useful’ which are now just cluttering up the workshop. From odd bits of wood that are pretty useless for anything, to cardboard to , god I dont know what.

I emptied my workshop into one spare room so i could redecorate and now im overwhelmed with whats there and cannot seem to find a home for it putting the workshop back in order.

But I dont know if i can throw it away, feels wrong.

oldfart

Ah good old dad ❤️ When he moved into sheltered accommodation as the only child it was my task to help him “ downsize” As it was November I decided anything not needed would go on the playing field bonfire . As it was me trying to make the decisions it was decided my auntie would distract/ keep him occupied 🤔
    I worked out quickly that as I’m was returning from the bonfire the “ junk” pile was getting smaller than it should have been . He was giving his sister the slip and examining my junk pile and taking stuff back in the house ! 😬
    One of the best things I found was a couple of jam jars full of screws . He had separated them into ones with mangled heads and one with mangled threads , his answer of course was “ Well they might come in handy one day ! “😂😂😂

oldfart

Ah good old dad ❤️ When he moved into sheltered accommodation as the only child it was my task to help him “ downsize” As it was November I decided anything not needed would go on the playing field bonfire . As it was me trying to make the decisions it was decided my auntie would distract/ keep him occupied 🤔
    I worked out quickly that as I’m was returning from the bonfire the “ junk” pile was getting smaller than it should have been . He was giving his sister the slip and examining my junk pile and taking stuff back in the house ! 😬
    One of the best things I found was a couple of jam jars full of screws . He had separated them into ones with mangled heads and one with mangled threads , his answer of course was “ Well they might come in handy one day ! “😂😂😂

oldfart

I do tend to hang on to stuff but am not in the same league!

oldfart

Good old STW posted my reply three times ! Well I guess the other two “ might come in handy ! “ 😬😬😬

fasthaggis

Being a hoarder is a Love/Hate thing for sure.Last time I was in my ‘shed of wonder’ the first thought (as always) was a slightly frustrated “must get all this shit sorted out”,my second (almost immediate) thought as I sorted through stuff was “I love these things” …then the warm comfort blanket of shed life wrapped around me. 😌 😉 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Eternity is the answer.

asbrooks

I have a box of old phone chargers.. You never know 😉

b230ftw
    Free Member

When I used to work in the DIY trade I bought loads of stuff either for pence or got it for free. Things like hand tools, sandpaper, small power tools. There has been so many times I’ve used those things even 15 years after I left.

However I’ve sort of done the opposite to the OP several times in that I’ve bought stuff I’ve needed then a week later had a looo for something else in my storage boxes and found out I already had the thing I bought the previous week. This has happened several times including repeats on the same item so I have 3 of some things now.

oldfart

That reminds me, looking for something in a garage cupboard the other day I found a brand new Madison Flux saddle still on its card that I can’t remember buying 🙄

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

IMO.. ∞

reluctantjumper

I’m very much anti-hoarding after seeing the chaos it has caused to my parents lives over the years. They live in a big 4 bed house with 2 double garages (one next to the house, the other one is 1/4 mile down the lane and stuff still ends up in it!) and a large garden, stuff everywhere! It must be hereditary though as I’m currently going through everything in my flat of 9 years ready for a move and even though I am pretty ruthless with stuff hanging around I’ve still managed to get rid of multiple black bags!

However I’ve sort of done the opposite to the OP several times in that I’ve bought stuff I’ve needed then a week later had a looo for something else in my storage boxes and found out I already had the thing I bought the previous week. This has happened several times including repeats on the same item so I have 3 of some things now.

That’s my dad. Sorted out one of his garages as I wanted to park a car in it and found multiples of everything, some of them the exact sam items! Mainly things like Aldi Special routers, bit sets and the like but it did surprise me (and him actually) when I managed to lay out on the floor 4 hedge trimmers, 6 electric drills, 4 strimmers and 3 Sanders. All in their boxes, unused and adding up to well over £1k. He agreed to let me get rid of all of them bar one of each that he selected but even then a few months later he bought new ones of everything as “What if the first one breaks? I need to have a spare one!”. He hasn’t been capable of using any of the tools for a few years now so how he’d break then I do not know and he won’t let me do any work with them for him.

This reminds me, I need to have a purge of my clothing pile as there’s stuff in there I never wear.

dyna-ti

I’d a drawer full of old kettle leads. Selected the longest and best conditioned and threw the rest out.

Then I needed the paint stripper and discovered that its kettle lead was slightly different and i’d thrown out its lead.

That was a tenner well spent. Not

FB-ATB

I found a brand new Madison Flux saddle still on its card that I can’t remember buying 🙄

Must be nicked then!

I inherited the “it’ll come in handy” gene from my Dad. He grew up in late 40s/early 50s so it was very much “make do & mend”.

My grandad was a builder- one of the jobs he got my dad to do when he was a kid was take screws & nails out of wood that he had removed working on job A, straighten the nails so they could be used on job B after pricing in new nails etc. Even timber was re-purposed as much as possible.

My grandad was either a recycling visionary or looking to maximise his margins/fund his daily beer intake.

It’s taken ages for me to get out of the habit of saving nails/screws as the time & effort is not worth it as I have loads of boxes of new screws/nails courtesy of Dad & there are plenty more still in the loft at Mum’s

BigJohn

I use toe straps for fitting a DealExtreme torch onto the bars if my pub bike and carrying a spare 700*25 tyre on the back of the saddle on my road bike. That might answer the original question as it was useful when my riding mate managed to rip his sidewall

nickewen
    Free Member

I’ve got some bombers that came off a Kona Pahoehoe that have been in the garage a good 15+ years.. Can’t get rid of them though because as soon as I do I’ll no doubt need to own someone.

funkmasterp

I’m at the other end of the spectrum. If it hasn’t been used in six months it gets sold, given away or I get rid. Unluckily for me Mrs F is the opposite and would fit in well with you lot.

kormoran
    Free Member

37 years, 5 months, 4 days…

Chapeau sir, chapeau

irc

When my brother and I were teenagers my dad bought a 100m length of steelcable and rigged us up a pulley run off a hill in a local park. We got a good bit of use out it that summer. Circa 1976.

When clearing his garage out after his death aged 90 I found the cable coiled up in a sack. Approx 40 years later having survived two houses moves.

Thinking back – after showing us how to rig it and operate it he left us to it along with our crowd of friends. Different times.

ampthill

Just come back from a family holiday. Some one admired my mums blouse. She mentioned that it was 42 years old……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.