Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How long for Madison & Rutland warranty?
  • matt_outandabout

I posted off brakes a fortnight ago. Had to call today as Rutland hadn’t confirmed arrival.

They have emailed Madison about them. Unsure of how soon things may get sorted.

Anyone know how long this will all take? I’m 2 and a smidge weeks without a bike and getting twitchy…

petrieboy

Isn’t it weird that this is somehow acceptable in the bike trade? We just wouldn’t stand for it anywhere else. Can you imagine going into John Lewis with a broken TV and them saying “well we’ll speak to the importer and let you know”

surely the conversation should only be with the bike shop and it should only be about the immediate repair/refund/replacement and what they do with their supplier is entirely their concern

daern
    Free Member

Took a month for my LBS to turn around a set of warrantied XTR brakes through Madison. I opted to stump up in advance for a replacement set (nearly £500!) to keep the bike on the road, and this was refunded once the warranty return was confirmed.

I wasn’t especially happy about this, but I didn’t have a lot of choice. Not been back since, I’m afraid 🙁

russl
    Free Member

I had a bad experience with Rutland and sending off some warranty fault wheels to Cannondale, it took a fortnight for them to send them after lots of chasing up and being told different things. I rang Cannondale in the end (who were great all the way through) and that’s how I found out they hadn’t been sent.

Rutland were useless from start to finish I’m afraid.

(This was the Whitwell shop not mail order)

bigyan
    Free Member

Madison warranty timescale estimate was 10-14 working days when I sent something off earlier this week, assuming the replacement was in stock.

matt_outandabout

Rutland were useless from start to finish I’m afraid

This is the bit I’m worried about. I emailed them twice when the bottom bracket failed after 8 weeks, no reply. I then called, was promised a call back, didn’t happen.

I had new BB in shed, so just stuck it in.

I felt today was ‘honest we didn’t get brakes 10 days ago and do nothing, we’ve emailed Madison with pics just now after you called’….

toppers3933
    Free Member

I used to deal with Madison a lot and they were always great. Somethings were quicker than others but once they had the item back they would sort it pretty quickly.

Rutland on the other hand I now refuse to deal with them. Awful sales and customer service.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Isn’t it weird that this is somehow acceptable in the bike trade? We just wouldn’t stand for it anywhere else. Can you imagine going into John Lewis with a broken TV and them saying “well we’ll speak to the importer and let you know”

John Lewis is a high end retailer who put customer service top of their list of things to achieve. Imagine taking your TV back to Fred’s Discount Electricals now…..

Good shops will have stuff posted back within the day and be on it. Most won’t be holding the exact thing you bought so rely on the importer for support,

tjagain

Claims under cunsumer protection regs are nothing to d with the importers just the shop.  2 weeks is too long

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Claims under cunsumer protection regs are nothing to d with the importers just the shop.

Can they magic goods into the world?

b45her
    Free Member

always get concerned when someone claims their BB just “failed”, its right up there with how are my brakes plastered in oil? i dont spray my chain with gt85 honest.

matt_outandabout

always get concerned when someone claims their BB just “failed”,

b45her
    Free Member

they get filled with water and grit by poor maintenance but don’t suddenly fall apart of their own accord.

weeksy

I can send you some brakes to cover you for the interim if it helps ? MTB ?

matt_outandabout

@b45her – mine failed in a few weeks last summer, I was away for three weeks in that time as well. Probably 100 miles use….

@weeksy
    – TBF, I’m close to just buying Magura’s

shooterman

Interesting thread.

I bought a bike direct. the Shimano brakes failed and I’m down a similar rabbit hole to the OP with Madison.

The Reverb also has gone and off to Zyro Fisher it went. Two weeks without a bike and having to rely on the goodwill of a shop I didn’t actually buy the bike from. Had to go through a shop as Zyro won’t deal direct with the consumer.

Interesting point about the contract being with the bike seller and not the distributor. I agree it would be totally unacceptable in almost any other consumer context.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Absolute arse clowns. Will never buy a thing from them again.

If your stuff turns up ok, then it’s fine, but if not they ignore emails when attempting to get replacements or a refund. We’ll see how it goes down when I turn up at one of their branches in a thoroughly disagreeable mood!

They also only seem to only put up good reviews you submit, one star reviews don’t seem to appear on the product pages, who knew eh! Although it’s not the first time I’ve come across this, Trustpilot is a joke as well, they allow businesses to censor the reviews and don’t bother to remove the shill reviews. Not surprising I suppose but there you go.

matt_outandabout

Trustpilot are not the only ones. Reevoo allowed Hoseasons to reject our review as it “wasn’t positive” and Hoseasons were going to resolve it.

matt_outandabout

It’s now three weeks since I sent the brakes in.

Today at end of day I get a notification that they have sent the brakes to Madison.

Not.

Happy.

matt_outandabout

Anyone from Madison on here? Rutland can’t say how long it will take with them.

IdleJon

John Lewis is a high end retailer who put customer service top of their list of things to achieve. Imagine taking your TV back to Fred’s Discount Electricals now…..

I’ve seen people try to claim warranty on absolutely bald, worn out tyres and get stroppy when refused. On a bike that their son was ‘just riding down the street’ – he’d actually broken it while the LBS staff watched him case a jump, unknown to his father. Trying to claim for a pump that won’t blow up tyres properly – no, shock pumps won’t do that very well.

I’m not saying that there aren’t plenty of proper warranty problems, but I’ll bet John Lewis don’t have to cope with quite so many incompetents as your average bike shop. (And not helped by an industry that changes sizes and standards endlessly.) 😀

matt_outandabout

10-14 days from receipt of brakes with Madison it seems.

So assuming a couple of days faff/posting back, I am looking at 6 weeks without brakes.

Not acceptable….

daern
    Free Member

I’ve seen people try to claim warranty on absolutely bald, worn out tyres and get stroppy when refused. On a bike that their son was ‘just riding down the street’ – he’d actually broken it while the LBS staff watched him case a jump, unknown to his father. Trying to claim for a pump that won’t blow up tyres properly – no, shock pumps won’t do that very well.

I’ve just been refused warranty on a Fulcrum front wheel where the bearings seized up at 5 months old. Bearings are a consumable item, apparently, which I understand…but 5 bloody months!!? Not impressed.

martinhutch

We’ll see how it goes down when I turn up at one of their branches in a thoroughly disagreeable mood!

Their business model relies on nobody actually knowing where Rutland is. I always assumed it was a fictional place.

kelvin

Where the Rutles formed?

simondbarnes

Where the Rutles formed?

This forum needs a like button 🙂

bigyan
    Free Member

Anyone from Madison on here? Rutland can’t say how long it will take with them.

Madison warranty estimate was 10-14 working days when I sent a brake in a week ago, so 2-3 weeks plus;

Postage time to Rutland

Rultand turnaround time

Postage time to you

If I know a product will be warrantied and the customer bought it from me I often buy a replacement and request a credit for the warrantied item, reduces customer down time for better customer satisfaction/experience. However many business will have more of a business first policy rather than customer satisfaction, trying to do the right thing does not appear to make you rich!

matt_outandabout

Update: Big thanks to Madison – I was contacted direct by them on STW, to get the brakes put through the system. I’ve new calipers installed, on way back to me. Thank you Mark, cracking service.

On the other hand it appears that Rutland had the brakes for just shy of three weeks, and I think only did anything when I called to find out what actually was happening.

On top of the ignored emails before about the seized BB, it has left Rutland Cycles on the ‘just do not buy from them again’ list. Which is frustrating, as we have had two bikes and multiple clothing items from them over the last year or two….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How long for Madison & Rutland warranty?’ is closed to new replies.