Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • How long does Cokecola have left- do you drink it ?
  • scotroutes

My wife has PKU aspartame is nasty stuff for her.
    [/quote]Not nice. But then there are folk with a whole range of disorders who have to avoid certain foodstuffs and food additives. We don’t rule out their use by the general population on this basis. I assume your major concern is over adequate labelling?

Bimbler
    Free Member

An essential ingredient in Long Island Iced Tea and Nigella’s Ham in Coca Cola, for that reason I’m in.

mudshark
    Free Member

I seem to have got into a can a day habit whilst at the office, so 4 a week. I do a fair amount of exercise and don’t buy sweets so figure ok.

brooess
    Free Member

Hi! Hows the view from up there?

Given the fact I’ve fallen off my bike 3 times since 2007 with a broken collarbone, scapula and wrist, I don’t think I’d be safe on a high horse – and I’d end up costing the taxpayer even more than I have already 🙂

Interestingly, there’s no way of finding out how much this cost, or any mechanism other than overpayment of tax for me to make any kind of repayment…

Re the point about MTBers in the Borders – not really a like for like comparison – riding bikes is at least an attempt to look after your health. Drinking and eating unhealthy food, given the amount of info and healthy choices available, is, these days, knowingly doing damage.

Given the NHS is currently in serious trouble and an ageing population to look after, surely we should be confronting behaviours which are avoidable and knowingly damaging so the NHS has some chance of survival? Ignoring the problem because it doesn’t suit our ideological standpoints isn’t going to provide a solution…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I see artificial sweeteners in the same camp margarine. The stuff they used to feed turkeys with until they realised it was killing them so the coloured it, gave it a butter taste and marketed it as a ‘healthy’ alternative to butter.

nonsense.

This was from another viral “infographic” wasn’t it?

scotroutes

Like using uplift and shooting down the trails shouting stravaaaaaa? 😆

dragon
    Free Member

Coca-Cola and Pepsi spotted the trend ages ago and diversified. So yes ‘full fat coke’ sales in the western world are falling (10 years of year-on-year decline in the US), but Coke as a company won’t disappear.

P-Jay
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

I see artificial sweeteners in the same camp margarine. The stuff they used to feed turkeys with until they realised it was killing them so the coloured it, gave it a butter taste and marketed it as a ‘healthy’ alternative to butter.

nonsense.

This was from another viral “infographic” wasn’t it?

Yep, utter bollocks – another ‘Facebook Fact’ Margarine is very, very bad for you – as mentioned on QI about 7-8 years ago which created a huge backlash against it – only they were 20 years too late. Margarine hasn’t been widely sold in the UK for about 30 years – the dairy and non-dairy spreads we buy these days are completely safe, and contain a lot less fat and cholesterol than butter.

IdleJon

Well…. you may want to consider that Coca Cola sell more units in Britains supermarkets than any other manufacturer. Even Ryvita!

More than Ryvita? Well, good grief! 😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

What’s ryvita?

IdleJon

What’s ryvita?

Exactly. If it was Carr’s Water Biscuits then we’d need to worry.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Margarine hasn’t been widely sold in the UK for about 30 years – the dairy and non-dairy spreads we buy these days are completely safe, and contain a lot less fat and cholesterol than butter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Can%27t_Believe_It%27s_Not_Butter!

Although possibly not containing the huge amount of Trans Fats it once did, it’s still classed as a margarine.

and contain a lot less fat and cholesterol than butter

You know how cholesterol works, right? Then I’m guessing you also know the differences between HDL and LDL cholesterol.

I’ll take the butter thanks.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

an ageing population to look after, surely we should be confronting behaviours which are avoidable

well filling yourself up with sugar on a regular basis is one way to avoid getting old.

thomthumb
    Free Member

had a diet pepsi today (i only like diet: as its all we were ever allowed as kids). First time for a while. My excuse is i have a sore throat, was travelling etc etc. I normally would just have water from m-way services.

I used to drink it more often; habitually it became my mid afternoon ‘tea’ break for a while. I made a decision to stop; and never miss it.

I work with people who drink 2L + a day, bring in a big bottle (or two a day)!

P-Jay
    Free Member

You know how cholesterol works, right? Then I’m guessing you also know the differences between HDL and LDL cholesterol.

I’ll take the butter thanks.

More than I’d like to thanks to Familial Hypercholesterolaemia, you’re welcome to it, I’ll stick with Flora thanks.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Don’t drink the stuff, but it’s great for cooking a ham in. Leave it in the slow cooker all day with a bottle of full-fat Coke…. Luvverly

Cougar

Although possibly not containing the huge amount of Trans Fats it once did, it’s still classed as a margarine.

It doesn’t matter whether “they” class it as margarine or as a coat rack, you’re still talking out of the top of your head and need to stop believing everything you read on Facebook. You’ll be telling us it’s one molecule away from plastic next.

scotroutes

I don’t think it’s even one molecule away from it here

Cougar

I used to drink a lot of Coke. Switched to the sugar & caffeine free stuff a while back though as it was starting to keep me awake at night.

Recently I’ve started getting the Tesco own-brand stuff instead. It’s not bad and less than half the price of Coke (even more so since Coke switched their 2L bottles to a “great new size!!” 1.75L bottle without adjusting the price).

jonba
    Free Member

I quite like it, but like most things it should be enjoyed in moderation. While the sugar content is now be taken to be a bad thing it isn’t much worse than fruit juice. Of the top of my head orange juice is 11.2brix which would make it about 30g sugar in 330ml.

Maybe it is about the choices we make around food rather than the food itself which is the problem?

elliott-20
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter whether “they” class it as margarine or as a coat rack

And your point is? My point still remains that margarine (or the term margarine) is marketed as healthy and butter is bad bad bad. Which isn’t entirely true when you start looking into it.

you’re still talking out of the top of your head and need to stop believing everything you read on Facebook

Nice, how very eloquently put of you. I’m happy to hold my hands up and say I’m wrong recalling a decade or so old memory. And in doing so I’m also glad in your insult you have outlined Facebook is far worse the the majority of tripe that is also on this forum. I rarely use Facebook personally, so I shall use your markedly superior knowledge of said social media(s) and never to read anything again.

Or is that too believing everything I read?

You’ll be telling us it’s one molecule away from plastic next.

Well done, bonus point to you for getting that one in.

🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

So is your claim that aspartame is bad for you any more reliable than your claim that margarine was developed as turkey food but killed them ?

slimjim78
    Free Member

I prefer the classic mix.

But in reality, whilst on holiday somewhere scorching hot – there is no more satisfying thirst quencher* than an ice cold Cola. Preferably from a glass bottle.
    Foreign Fanta perhaps running a close second. The British stuff is not the same formula.

Without Coca-Cola how would I dissolve all my unwanted teeth in a glass?

I love how its being refered to as fizzy pop and a fad. Im partial to a bit of carbonation from time to time. Tantilises the tongue.

* Ok, water maybe.

somafunk

I only drink coke/fizzy pop when i have a hangover which is a rare occurrence, so the last time i had a can was last halloween, I’ll prob be ok on the 2/3 cans a year that i consume unlike one of the girls at work who guzzles her way through 6+ cans a day (coke/irn-bru) along with multiple crisp sandwiches on white bread-no crusts for her lunch – needless to say she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in december but still drinks full sugar fizzy pop, her diagnoses led to outpourings of sympathy from the other girls at work and apparently i’m the bad guy for pointing out the bleeding obvious to her with my unsympathetic rant regarding her diet and the damage she will be doing to her unborn kid not to mention the cost of treatment for the rest of her life, yeah……. to top it off she is 8months+ pregnant although you’d be hard pushed to tell so i fear for her kid..poor little bugger doesn’t stand a chance with a thick as shit mother such as her.

nealglover
    Free Member

Facebook link not working.

Cougar

And your point is? My point still remains that margarine (or the term margarine) is marketed as healthy and butter is bad bad bad. Which isn’t entirely true when you start looking into it.

Well no, it’s not. But that doesn’t mean we can start extrapolating any old hogwash and trotting it out as fact.

So is your claim that aspartame is bad for you any more reliable than your claim that margarine was developed as turkey food but killed them ?

No, it’s not. As a previous poster said, it’s one of the most tested foodstuffs on the planet (largely because of all the ill-conceived scare stories around it).

nealglover
    Free Member

No, it’s not. As a previous poster said, it’s one of the most tested foodstuffs on the planet (largely because of all the ill-conceived scare stories around it).

I know 😉

I was just seeing what “research” would be offered up

redders25
    Free Member

Colleague at work would have a can of diet Coke everyday and would complain of headaches if she hadn’t had one by about 2pm!

Seems to have weaned herself off it now though as shes pregnant.

I’m personally not a fan.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Commercially drinks with Aspartame in them are going to become less attractive to the manufacturer because whatever the scientists tell people about it being safe they are not totally being believed so companies like coca cola and pepsi will find other sugar substitutes to put into their drinks .
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32478203

Northwind

Aspartame definitely does cause some nasty side effects- science denial and jerking knees have been positively linked to it.

bruneep – Member

My wife has PKU aspartame is nasty stuff for her.

I have coeliac disease, doesn’t mean wheat’s bad for you.

I drink loads of pepsi max, on account of I like the taste, and **** all y’all, haterz. Imma drink some right now. MMMMMMM. I appreciate it’s a child’s drink but STW is powered by haribo and yazoo chocolate milk so we’re none of us on safe ground.

mogrim

Given the NHS is currently in serious trouble and an ageing population to look after, surely we should be confronting behaviours which are avoidable and knowingly damaging so the NHS has some chance of survival? Ignoring the problem because it doesn’t suit our ideological standpoints isn’t going to provide a solution…

Surely that’s the other way round? We need more knowingly damaging behaviour to compensate for the aging population!

Anyway: I have at least one can of caffeine free diet coke every day.

tomhoward

My name is Tom and I drink fizzy pop. All of it. Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Lilt, the lot.
    I only drink the diet/zero versions (Diabetic you see, type 1 before you get all afroth)
    I can’t remember the last time I had a cup of tea, never cared for it.
    I can’t stand the taste of coffee.
    I have not had an alcoholic drink this year. And only do at weekends if I’m out with others. Rarely am I ‘drunk’

Call it even?

jonba
    Free Member

Colleague at work would have a can of diet Coke everyday and would complain of headaches if she hadn’t had one by about 2pm!

Seems to have weaned herself off it now though as shes pregnant.

I’m personally not a fan.

I get the same with coffee. Caffeine addiction.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nothing beats a hangover for me like a full english breakfast and a pint of coke. So for that reason I’ll probably have the odd one still…

hora
    Free Member

Tomhoward have you always been diabetic? What was your sugar etc consumption like before you were diabetic?

I don’t drink fizzy sugar drinks, or sugar in black coffee etc. Previously if I had jelly babies mid ride I’d spike and crash. It was hideous. Mucho happy without added sugar tbh. I almost bought tomato soup the other day; 11% sugar and other bad shit. WTF Aldi?!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Rarely do soft drinks other than fruit juice that’s mainly or all fruit juice. Even then it’s bucket loads of natural sugar. I don’t drink loads of it though.

Can’t really stand fizzy soft drinks these days. Not just the taste but it’s just pointless flavoured water with loads of shit that’s bad in it.

Mainly drink coffee & tea (never with sugar) and beer/wine (loads of calories though but what the hell).

kimbers

2 cans of coke zero a day for me

There are far worse vices out there (I’ve stopped those)

The risks of aspartame thing is absolute bollox, tho artificial sweeteners can probably alter the insulin response

Alcohol on the other hand is a known risk multiplier for cancer
    Its responsible for how much violence, accidents etc?
    Beer also has about the same number of calories as coke, wine, cider etc has more, do you think that booze is gonna go out of fashion too?

hora
    Free Member

I’ve just smashed down a bowl of trifle ..erm oops 🙂

bruneep

The fact its in just about everything now is a ball ache when shopping, short of eating dust its pretty hard to avoid. Shopping can take an age reading labels to see whats hidden in food.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘How long does Cokecola have left- do you drink it ?’ is closed to new replies.