Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)
  • How long do you keep your trousers on for?
  • mandog

I’ll tell you what’s minging.. Wearing the same gym gear 5 days in a row before washing it at the end of the week. It stinks.

peterfile
    Free Member

Where I work our CEO and CFO often turn up wearing Polo shirts…..

Same here. Generally, the higher up they are, the more relaxed the dress. Our CEO wears a mankini 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

all of my dealings with people in a business context will be with other professional advisers or banks, so it’s probably a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy!

Its both your points to some degree. We probably all care, to some degree, what someone looks like if it is all we have to go on. However we should also know it does not actually matter as to how good they are at the job.

peterfile
    Free Member

Oh absolutely, I’m not for one second suggesting there is any link between competency and dress.

It’s just that initially, you might not have a lot to go on, so why go challenging the business/social norm before you’ve even had the chance to prove your worth? Surely it doesn’t help?

unknown
    Free Member

My suits get dry cleaned once or maybe twice a year, but I do have 2 pairs of trousers to each jacket. New shirt every day, I’m actually a bit shocked that some people don’t do that. My jeans will be washed probably 3or 4 times in their lifetime. Casual t-shirts may get anywhere from 1-3 days, sniff-test dependant.

scotroutes

Anyway, shouldn’t it be “For how long do you keep on your trousers?”

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s all about expectations. If you think you can abolish hundreds of years of etiquette and tradition by being the guy who turns up in jeans and a t-shirt, you’re wrong. And whilst that tradition still exists, there is an expectation that you’ll observe it. People make judgments about people around them. What are you trying to say about your professional attitude/business by ignoring social norms? That you’re a maverick? That you’re so good that you don’t need to wear a suit and the people who’ve just given you loads of cash should look past that the first time they meet you?

What it’s really worth remembering is that the social norms for *your* business are not necessarily the same as for other peoples business. People in other professions who do not wear suits really do get given loads of cash by other people not wearing suits. They do tend then employ people wearing suits to sort out the paperwork though, which might be why people wearing suits often think all business is conducted by people wearing suits 🙂

Edit:
    Ah just saw this –

EDIT: it’s also occurred to me that my own experiences might be a bit non representative since almost all of my dealings with people in a business context will be with other professional advisers or banks, so it’s probably a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy!

Sorry!, yes that’s made my post redundant 🙂

iainc

Peterfile – large US corporate consultancy here and exactly the same as you. Sure, some clients may come in casual dress but that’s their call. We have a smart business dress code, like it or lump it and the 50,000 plus employees get on with it just fine.

footflaps

New shirt every day, I’m actually a bit shocked that some people don’t do that. My jeans will be washed probably 3or 4 times in their lifetime. Casual t-shirts may get anywhere from 1-3 days, sniff-test dependant.

To me that just seems inconsistent, eg I’d wash whatever top I wore (shirt, T shirt, etc) after one day and whatever trousers after a few days (no more than 5, less in summer). So I don’t really understand the new shirt every day, but only wash jeans every month or so (or poss longer)?

peterfile
    Free Member

What it’s really worth remembering is that the social norms for *your* business are not necessarily the same as for other peoples business.

I think we were talking about “business dress” though Ian, which has a pretty well established meaning. I’m well aware not everyone who works in “business” wears a suit, I work in the construction industry 🙂

And again, it comes down to expectations. You don’t expect your plumber to wear a suit, but you would expect someone turning up to represent you in court to do so.

unknown
    Free Member

AI like the clear boundary between work and home that the dress code contributes to. I don’t wear a suit at home and I don’t wear t shirts in the office.

unknown
    Free Member

Simple footflaps, my shirts tend to be on the verge of smelly after a day, t shirts made from other materials seem to last longer, and jeans don’t get smelly unless you spill something on them.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I was just gonna post same as footflaps. I’ll be honest I’d assumed until now the not washing jeans thing was people going with a joke image of funky jeans, it just dawned on me its serious. I’m not comfortable with not washing suit trousers more than twice a year, but don’t wear a suit so… you know, whatever. And I understand wool is totally different to the fabrics I typically wear – so experience may when/if the day comes change my mind*. But never or only rarely washing jeans, I, personally couldn’t do it.

FWIW if I was wearing suit its probable I’d be earning enough, or be in a serious enough role, I’d do daily shirts, or at least consider it/ re-appraise the decision.

unklehomered
    Free Member

my shirts tend to be on the verge of smelly after a day

sounds like the right choice, for you.

jeans don’t get smelly unless you spill something on them

Oh mine do…

Aside from the various judgement calls, I think this is one of those everyone is different (physically, and also mentally 😉 ), shocker – threads. the above being really interesting case in point, however I don’t wear a jacket, and shave my pits.

but you would expect someone turning up to represent you in court to do so.

I’d expect them to wear a gown, and a silly wig. 😀

unknown
    Free Member

Jeans not washed for 15 months have same bacterial content as jeans 2 weeks after washing…

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=12722442%5B/URL%5D

funkmasterp

I think that’s what I was getting at. Until you’ve got your results, you have no proof of their ability, so you go what’s available to you, part of that is your impression of them.

I honestly think that your profession will play a big part in it. I would imagine banking has more traditional rules compared to my line of work. I work for a large and ever expanding online retailer and from the owners on down casual dress is the name of the game.

Some choose to wear shirts and trousers, others don’t. I am in a position where I regularly meet customers and suppliers, deal with HR situations etc. I do this whilst wearing jeans, a casual shirt and sometimes sporting a beard of biblical proportions.

It makes for some interesting departmental meetings. Two people dressed smart, one in shorts, three wearing jeans and so on. It does seem to put everybody on an even footing though and meetings have a more relaxed atmosphere than some places I have worked in.

As long as people have good personal hygiene and don’t roll out the leather chaps it’s all good to me 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

Funkmasterp

Any jobs going? sounds my kind of place! 😮

funkmasterp

Funkmasterp

Any jobs going? sounds my kind of place!

😀 it’s one of very few positive things about working there to be honest.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jeans not washed for 15 months have same bacterial content as jeans 2 weeks after washing

He washed out stains and also placed them in the freezer to kill bacteria so not that surprising tbh
    Bet they have more than some that have just been washed

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

scotroutes, It’s possible the title’s wording was deliberate 🙂

scotroutes

The Edinburgh Defence?

Shirley not!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ok, someone has to explain this to me now.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aaah, but I did that with the socks already. And I was joking! Two days at the most, and only if there’s nothing else in my handbag.

nealglover
    Free Member

I like the clear boundary between work and home that the dress code contributes to. I don’t wear a suit at home and I don’t wear t shirts in the office.

I find the fact that the two buildings look entirely different is enough to be honest.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh, and zokes wins by the way

zokes
    Free Member

Oh, and zokes wins by the way

Cum, again?

I are confus

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You were the first person to get that the title was asking a different question to the rest of the post 🙂

It ’twas all a little fun for Friday.

HAPPY SATURDAY EVERYONE*

*that doesn’t have to work

zokes
    Free Member

Ah!

The fact I’d just finished work and had settled into a six-pack of beers probably helped the lateral thinking 😀

The joys of being upside down

molgrips
    Free Member

I got it too..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of Molly and a companion cube then:

zokes
    Free Member

I got it too..

too…… late?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ve found that anyone wearing a suit to meet me is inevitably trying to take my money.

nealglover
    Free Member

So anyway.

What are “engineers trousers” then ?

scotroutes

Are they made by PHD?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Trousers for our “engineers”* – shedloads of pockets, kevlar stiching, double thick knee, elephant-ear pocket liners, kneepad pockets etc etc etc.

Also damn warm to wear sitting in an office!

*read fire suppression system installing “engineers” – and don’t call me out on the naming, it’s what the Co. and the staff call them, so in this case, to me, they are Engineer’s Troos.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Engineers trousers are awesome, I use them for gardening and trailbuilding. But sitting on a trowl is uncomfortable I’ll admit

nealglover
    Free Member

Oh, just normal Workwear trousers then.

*disappointed 😥

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Heh, sorry. The whole thing is/was smoke and mirrors!

footflaps

Jeans not washed for 15 months have same bacterial content as jeans 2 weeks after washing…

I’d never let mine go for two weeks without a wash let alone 15 months!

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)

The topic ‘How long do you keep your trousers on for?’ is closed to new replies.