• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How long do road chains last?
  • footflaps

My SRAM AXS 12sp has gone to 0.5% wear after 3,700 km of non winter road riding.

No idea if that is good or bad?

james-rennie

wife’s 11 speed shimano lasted ~4000 miles , no mudguards.

trail_rat
    Free Member

6600 ultegra basically for ever on my previous bike >8000km….I mean it wasn’t clean shifting or quiet but it didn’t slip.

The kmc 11-el on my giant…. 2800km before the links started to split round the back of the rivets.

13thfloormonk

3700km to 0.5% sounds good, maybe my chain wear measurer is a bit crap (I’ve never really trusted them anyway) but mine seem to need replaced within 2500km-3000km on the summer bike (dry lube, rarely goes out in the wet). I think I got a lot more out of the winter bike drivetrain but that’s because I wore it all to destruction, maybe 5000km before shifting went to crap and you could lift chain to expose chainring teeth etc.

Meanwhile gravel bike chain has barely done 750km and apparently needs replaced! Either the muddy CX mileage, the repeated Putoline applications or a knackered chain wear measurer are to blame…

footflaps

I think I got a lot more out of the winter bike drivetrain but that’s because I wore it all to destruction,

Same here, but that’s 105 so cheap to replace. The SRAM AXS 12 sp Force cassette is £175!

Lube wise, I’ve been using this

Again, no idea if its any good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

on my gravel bike/commuter/tourer i wore out a Deore 48 tooth outer ring to the point it was unridable in the big ring …. and still worked fine in every other gear.

40 quid got a new chain – cassette and chainring.

My road bike chain was 50 quid .

Folks wonder why my kona does the majority of my miles

Just moved to the absolute black hot melt wax on the good bikes. – having used mostly white lightening dry lube / Muc off dry

my kona just gets 10/40 from the wesco – its manky but that bike never grumbles…..

AdamT

Ultegra here and get way more than 3700km. That’s on my summer bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably not that many of us on 12sp yet (correct me if I’m wrong folks).

With 11sp I found the chains lasted aaaaages, but then I later found out I was supposed to change them at 0.5 not 0.75. So I was probably running them well beyond the recommended limit.

With cassettes costing that much, I’d err on the side of caution.

footflaps

Yep 12sp needs to be changed at 0.5. No idea how many chains per cassette you can get. Mine’s only gone to 0.5, still a way off 0.75.

I run my winter bike’s 105 to well beyond 1, I just ride it all winter with zero maintenance and then throw away the cassette and chain and stick a new set on for next year.

footflaps

Also, I had to buy the Park Tool CC-4 chain checker as apparently that’s the only one to work on AXS chains as the rollers are a different size (IIRC).

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep 12sp needs to be changed at 0.5

So does 11sp, but nobody told me til about 18 months ago.

footflaps

So does 11sp, but nobody told me til about 18 months ago.

I skipped 11 sp, old road bike (2008) is 10sp, new bike last year is 12sp. MTBs are still 9sp!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I change my KMC X11 chains every 6-8 months, after something like 150-200ish hours of turbo and dry outdoor use.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’ve got the Force axs 12 speed chain on my do everything that isn’t fast bike. Coupled with a 11 speed gx 10-42 cassette and it’s done around 5000 miles now. Still works fine. Way better than any other chain I’ve used.

pdw
    Free Member

Less than 2000 miles to well past 0.75%. 11sp 105. Winter bike, so exclusively bad weather.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How long do road chains last?’ is closed to new replies.