Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How long can you store tyres for?
  • PJay
    Free Member

Unbeknownst to me, my favourite tyres were discontinued in 2009 meaning that those that are still available must be at least 2 years old. If I buy a few up and store them away out of the sun (which I believe can perish rubber) how long could I effectively store them for? I gather that rubber doesn’t last forever.

aP
    Free Member

Years and years. I’m currently using a pair of Michelin Mud cyclo cross tires that I bought in 1999 and have kept in the loft until last summer.

rocketman
    Free Member

5 years in a dry, dark place away from electromagnetic radiation

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m currently using a pair of Michelin Mud cyclo cross tires that I bought in 1999 and have kept in the loft until last summer.

Yeah but that’s cos you’re a miserly scrooge what hordes old batteries and assorted bits of string. 😀

I’ve used tyres at least 10 years old and older. Unless the rubber has developed fine cracks, indicating it’s perished, it’s fine.

jhw
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m using some tyres now which have been hanging in my garage for 9 years. Soft DH rubber too.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

been using some old Kona tyres from 1997, still going on my hack bike.. haven’t had them since 1997 but came on a garage queen i got a years or so ago, so yea should be fine 🙂

frogger
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Schwalbe City Jets (slicks) on my commuter for 9 years and they still work and look good. Apart from being well used there doesn’t seem to be any degradation visible at all and never had a puncture on them yet.

pebble
    Free Member

Currently using new old stock Kona Equibrilum and Propulsion tyres circa 1991/92 from a store in Canada. No problems so far although the first folded version did explode but that was my fault for inflating it too much too soon.

mboy
    Free Member

As long as they’re kept in a dry, dark environment (such as in a garage, a loft, or in a cupboard) then they’ll last a loooooooong time.

I’ve had tyres that were kept in a shed with a window perish after perhaps only a year or so cos sunlight made them crack. I’ve got some DH tyres in the garage I bought in 2003 that are still fine to go back on a bike now cos they’ve lived in the dark all the time.

chakaping
    Free Member

So who’s got the oldest tyre then?

I have a Spesh Ground Control S from around 1988 or ’89 in the garage. Sidewals feel all crinkly and the tread looks like mice have been nibbling it.

Worth £400 on retrobike yeah?

ampthill

It is along time. I seem to remember upto a point they get better with age……

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How long can you store tyres for?’ is closed to new replies.