Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • HOW LITTLE!
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Bound to be won by the old…what did a pint cost when you started drinking?

Me: 85p (“nightclub” in rural Northern Ireland, 1986 odd).

willard

£1.04 for a pint of worthingtons in the very early 90s. When there was a special on, you could usually get Stella for about a pound.

iDave
    Free Member

By nightclub, surely you mean a barn with a tape deck?

clubber
    Free Member

£1.20ish IIRC – ’91 SW London

nickc

1.06 for Stella when I worked behind the bar in the George and Dragon in Marlow

(**** knows why I remember that)

ojom
    Free Member

20 Bensons. £1.74 (i think) in 1990.
    Obviously being a supreme athlete i have not bought tabs for an age and have no idea what they cost these days.

ojom
    Free Member

so good it was posted twice!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

30p in the bar, 32 in the lounge. 1977

uplink
    Free Member

With TJ – I can certainly remember 3 pints for a quid

mangoridebike

I remember being shocked as the price of a pint rose above £1 in central edinbugh in the early 90’s

piha
    Free Member

98p for a pint of Watneys Special circa 1988 in Camberley, Surrey. Wasn’t the best brew available but was possibly the cheapest!

stumpy01

Used to get pints of Theakstons Best (I think) for 99p when I started drinking.
    I think lager was £1.15 or £1.30.

BFITH
    Free Member

40p for fosters and 60p for decent lager or beer (in the union bar at cov poly circa 1988)……

£1 for ayingerbrau pils in town……mmmmmmm!

julianwilson
    Free Member

pound a pint nights were de rigeur when i was a younger man.

Cheapest proper (ie not watered and served in a glass glass!) pint in a proper pub when i started drinking would have been about £1.35 for courage mild in about 1994.

My lovely hall bar at leicester uni still used only pint and half pint mugs when i lived there. Nobody liked guinness extra cold when it came in iirc. (95-96).

BobaFatt
    Free Member

about £1.20 a pint, I remember I used to buy 10 Marlboros for 88p

kokomojoe
    Free Member

This makes me feel old—-at 18 years old I could buy 12 pints for £1. Thats about 8p a pint. There was a near riot just after my 18th birthday when beer in our local went up to 10p a pint. My weekly wage was £5. My share of the rent was £1.25. But were we happy? I think not

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

86 a pint for Brakspears in Henley on Thames

nickc – You must have been in Marlow about the time I was in Henley judging by prices and spookyly I am also nickc

Flaperon

Pound a pint most of the time when I was at uni. Now I’m lucky to get change from £4.

Torminalis
    Free Member

£112 per pint, though I am from the future. Sometime next year in fact.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£1 Sheffield students union and most bars on a Monday night circa 2004

<2euro for alhambra special in Spain last week, 1.3euro for a litre from the off-licence!

lunge

£1.20 for mild, £1.30 for bitter in the King Edward in Halesowen around 1995 ish.

The odd £1 a pint happened but the above were regular prices.

Hairychested
    Free Member

99p for a pint of Black Sheep a couple of years ago at The Moon in Hounslow.

finbar
    Free Member

Pound a pint Friday lunchtimes (Boddingtons or Fosters) when i was in lower sixth circa 1999. Dinner money got a pint and a game of pool 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to drink pints of Coke in the Union for 80p in 1995. Beer wasn’t much more – I used to go to the cash machine next door because it was one of the only ones that could give me a single fiver – and I’d come home with change despite buying a few rounds.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

kokomojoe

That should be in real money shouldn’t it? One and thruppence ha’penny for a pint of sgrootes mild?

Bregante

Boddingtons was 99p a pint…..

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    30p in the bar, 32 in the lounge. 1977

I thought I remembered around 35p per pint in my early drinking days which would have been 1973 but if TJ’s right it must have been less. Or just that drinking in the south of England was much more expensive than drinking in Scotland

marsdenman
    Free Member

Don’t recall specific prices but do remember a night round town c/w with kebab and shared taxi home coming in at around a tenner…. late 80’s

BigJohn

1/10d

Then it went up to 2 bob.

4ndyB
    Free Member

Not sure what the cost of a pint of diesel was back in ’89/90, but I do remember a pint of 80/- was 80p in Teesside Poly SU in ’91

iDave
    Free Member

Tayto cheese and onion – 2.5p 1976 – made growing up in Norn Irn almost bearable

Cougar

I used to get bottles of Pils for 85p at my local snooker hall when I was in my teens (so late 80 / early 90s).

When I was at Uni (again, early 90s), most clubs sold drinks at a pound a bottle on student nights. I went through a phase of drinking my own version of snakebite; bottle of Holsten Pils, bottle of Diamond white and a pint glass, £2. Could get absolutely trousered and still have change out of a tenner for a bag of chips on the way home.

nickc

Could get absolutely trousered and still have change out of a tenner for a bag of chips on the way home.

If you still find your way home after a few of those…

donsimon
    Free Member

45p for 10 Regal and about 60p pint in the working men’s club.

Cougar

If you still find your way home after a few of those…

I had to walk round a little wooded area that always struck me as being a waste of time if I could just cut through.

One night after a few snakebites, it struck me as a sterling idea to find out. I scaled the fence and cut across. There was a bit of a valley where I’d to go down and then up, so down I trudged. The further down I went, the worse the terrain was. Grass became bushes became thick brambles, and the firm earth became softer and wetter.

It became one of those things where, especially with a couple of ales sloshing about, I was thinking “well, I’ll not do this again, but I’m almost halfway there, might as well press on.”

It got worse, up to the fetlocks in slutch and cut to ribbons, but with my beer overcoat to protect me I’m thinking “well, I’m f’ked if I’m turning back now after all this.”

Just as it was getting almost impenetrable, I got to the halfway point, and discovered the hitherto unnoticed river cutting the area in half.

Arse.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

About 55p for a pint of Courage Best: Bristol, probably 1981 (underage). Used to pay around 50p for a pack of 20 tabs too.

First time I paid over £1 for a pint was at the Avon Gorge hotel in Bristol, for a pint of Kronenbourg. I was horrified!

b1galus
    Free Member

1s9d for newcastle brown ale in the whip and saddle edinburgh if you had a pie as well it were two bob thats 10p in the new fangled currency .**** i feel really old now when i moved to somerset in 1972 it was 5p a pint for cider in the Pall

brakes
    Free Member

I remember McEwans 80-bob being £1.16 at my local in 1995
    everything else was about £1.40 I think
    pay at least three times that now
    although, I was waiting for Fish & Chips in Friern Barnet the other day and went in a pub where they were doing bottles of Tuborg for £1, Becks for £1.40 and shots for £1 😛

bassspine
    Free Member

guiness 50p a pint The Robin Hood, Bristol, 1980ish.

atlaz
    Free Member

About 1990 in Hull – £1.10
    Same time in Boston – £0.80

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘HOW LITTLE!’ is closed to new replies.