Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How is Trump…
  • eyestwice
    Free Member

…never sued for slander?

I’m watching ‘Trump in Tweets’ and it’s made me wonder. More than I already did.

The definition of slander is pretty clear.

His character assassination of people he fires and/or dislikes are in the public domain.

IANAL but can’t someone just do something? Anything? Please? 😁

grum
    Free Member

Isn’t it covered under ‘freedom of speech’ which is protected by the constitution in America? It’s much easier to sue someone for defamation over here than in America I believe.

CountZero

Freedom of speech in Ameristan only applies to Agent Orange and his worshippers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

Slander is very difficult to prove in the UK and almost impossible in the US

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

However Liberace was accused of being gay in the newspapers (He was if you are in doubt) and won for defamation of character and when asked if he felt it was wrong he confessed “I cried all the way to the bank”

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Edit that – it was just a bad review, not a court case. Sorry

mattyfez

How is Trump?

Desperately trying to be something other than a joke, that’s how trump is, mentally, I feel.

Couldn’t live up to his da etc, classic, there’s probably books written about this. It’s textbook psychology.

Northwind

I can see the freedom of speech argument but when it’s something like Martin Gugino- spreading outright lies about a 75 year old man who at the time was in intensive care after being pushed over by a police officer- then there’s no defence

BigJohn

And after Liberace died of a complication related to the thing the paper got sued for suggesting, the Mirror printed a headline “Can we have our money back?”

P-Jay
    Free Member

And after Liberace died of a complication related to the thing the paper got sued for suggesting,

Do you see HIV as a complication of being Gay?

BigJohn

It’s complicated…

Superficial
    Free Member

Do you see HIV as a complication of being Gay?

Liberace died in (*checks*) 1987. Times were different.

JAG

there’s probably books written about this

Donalds Niece, a clinical psychologist, has just written a book all about Donald and his Dad and their crappy relationship :o)

BBC News Article

darthpunk
    Free Member

Lets face it, Twitter is a cesspit for the arsehole defence of opinions. When you see politicians using it to try and make themselves relevant to the extreme ends of the voter pool, then perhaps these aren’t teh people that should be in office.

Funny that comedians can lose gigs over tweets they made ten years ago but twonks like Matt Geaetz (google him, but keep a bucket handy) still has a job when his entire political career seems to be getting as close to Trumps butt as possible and being a bit racist/xenophobic is utterly beyond me.

dannyh
    Free Member

IANAL but can’t someone just do something? Anything? Please? 

I am not Lee Harvey Oswald but can’t someone just do something? Anything? Please?

What about all those exotic ways the CIA were working on for Castro?

Poison impregnated wig, perhaps…

IHN

*pedant* If it’s written down/published, it’s libel. If you say it, it’s slander */pedant*

ajaj
    Free Member

To answer the original question, the US President is immune from civil and criminal cases in the judicial branch.

eyestwice
    Free Member

*pedant* If it’s written down/published, it’s libel. If you say it, it’s slander */pedant*

Damn it. I was *fairly* sure I’d got it right but couldn’t be arsed to check.

footflaps

To answer the original question, the US President is immune from civil and criminal cases in the judicial branch.

I guess similar to the HoC slander exemption

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I am amazed that no one has shot him. The Americans do have a history of doing this.

Speeder

The trouble is the kind of people that tend to assassinate presidents are the same types that think he’s a really great guy.

maccruiskeen

I am amazed that no one has shot him. The Americans do have a history of doing this

the kind of people who’d shoot a president are the kind of people who’d vote for trump.

They’ll shoot the next president instead

edit-wow beaten by 1 second!!! 🙂

Speeder

snap ;o)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How is Trump…’ is closed to new replies.