Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How high is the Geldie Burn?
  • bearGrease

Anyone been up by the Geldie Burn lately? I’m planning a trip through Glen Tilt from Blair Atholl soon but wondering whether the recent heavy rain has made it unfordable. I’d hate to reach the Geldie Burn and have to turn round and ride the ~25 miles to Blair!

scotroutes

No specifics on the Geldie but water levels in Feshie etc have been rapidly returning to normal. They were very low until the last week or so. Personally, I’d risk it. I’ll be crossing a couple of weeks from now but I guess that’s too late for you.

tjagain

Dunno when you are going but I will be in the area next weekend probably and may well do a crossing of it. I’ll report back if its any good to you

bearGrease

Thanks guys, just under two weeks when we plan to go so any updates welcome!

scotroutes

TBH it could change completely in 2 weeks. Bump this up before you go and I’ll attempt to provide with a local conditions update.

tjagain

or two hours 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

TBH it could change completely in 2 hours.

FTFY 😉

Waderider
    Free Member

Mountain watercourses like the Geldie rise and fall quickly due to the high rainfall and thin soils/saturated ground. A couple of hours can make quite a difference. It’s another reason why knowing the weather forecast before you set out is important.

River level data can be found here:

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/waterlevels/default.aspx?sm=t

This station is probably the best bet for providing an indication of local river levels.

Spin
    Free Member

I was past on Thursday and it was low but since then…

Good link waderider, didn’t know about that.

scotroutes

I’ve been paddling bits of the Spey these last two days. Water levels are well within normal summer measures.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How high is the Geldie Burn?’ is closed to new replies.