Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • how hard's single speeding?
  • c9tln
    Free Member

hi,thinking about going single speed with my new build,is it worth it for how hard it is or would it be better to go 1×9? i live in huddersfield so it's reasonably hilly and recovering from broken arm so fitness won't be 100% for a while.

RealMan
    Free Member

How hard is cycling?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If you have to ask its not worth doing. 😉

Its as hard as you make it, I wasn't fit when i started riding but am now, i'm not anti-gears just can't afford them and all the riding I do mainly dalby, yorks moors and dales i'm fine with my SS bike.

Pieeater
    Free Member

Easier than you think – do most of my flatter rides on a 32 / 14t cog.
    You have to grow a beard first.

sheldona
    Free Member

Riding a SS is easy, making sure everyone knows you are on a SS is the hard part 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

girls can do it, how hard can it be?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Chuck Norris rides single speed.

singlespeedstu

The worst thing about riding a singlspeed is that people keep asking you if you know anyone that knows the Ayatollah.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

It's just like riding a bike.

c9tln
    Free Member

convinced then,been looking for some ss kit on classifieds,has anyone got any up for grabs?

MadBillMcMad

go for it, and it costs naff all to try with the DMR kit.

myself and two friends are all recent converts and truely enjoy the freedom it gives – you have to try it see what I mean.

I ride a 32*16 in the West Pennine Moors so not that different to your good self.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

convinced then,been looking for some ss kit on classifieds,has anyone got any up for grabs?

What do you need? I've got some spacers and an 18t cog. Might also have a spare tensioner – can check this evening.

c9tln
    Free Member

crispedwheel-would be good if you can,have got crank arms so everything apart from that,cheers.

TheSwede
    Free Member

crispedwheel
    have got crank arms so everything apart from that

Not asking much then. Just a complete bike with no cranks. 😉

c9tln
    Free Member

negative,just stuff to convert to ss.

Sam

some ss kit on classifieds

So you missed this then?

It's about as hard as you want it to be.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Obi_Twa – Member

It's just like riding a bike.

Reply of the year contender there. Well done that man/woman.

My commuter has been s/s for a couple of years but I recently swapped my Stiffee from an Alfine to a s/s (34/18). I found it is completely different riding offroad s/s than it is onroad. The first ride was very hard but I got used to it over the next couple of rides. I'm thinking of putting a 16T on the back.

I found I'm out of the saddle a lot so this might be very hard on your recovering broken arm.

terrahawk
    Free Member

it's not hard. Most of the time it's easier than riding with gears. Plus it gives you a ready-made excuse for being a bit slow 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

its apparently harder than telling your parents you are Gay!

Xylene
    Free Member

I don't really get the whole single speed thing, unless it's on relatively flat ground.

I always feel that I might as well just get my Raleigh Grifter out of storage and ride that again.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Physically its easy but boy, is it boring.

_tom_
    Free Member

I love it on road/smoother stuff, manage to get up climbs a lot quicker when you're forced to put the power down rather than sit and spin in the granny ring. For off road I'm not convinced yet but as my current drivetran is a bit nackered and I've got no money I'm tempted to try SS properly rather than just sticking in one gear and trying not to change.

What do you need? I've got some spacers and an 18t cog. Might also have a spare tensioner – can check this evening.

If he doesn't want the spacers/18t cog I'll take that if its going for cheap enough and will fit on a Shimano XT hub 🙂

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

I don't really get the whole single speed thing, unless it's on relatively flat ground.

I always feel that I might as well just get my Raleigh Grifter out of storage and ride that again.

Seems a little strange you even bothered to open the thread to share that nugget of wisdom with us. What I "don't really get" is people's propensity to open and reply to threads and decry something which they have no direct experience with.

Xylene
    Free Member

Seems a little strange you even bothered to open the thread to share that nugget of wisdom with us. What I "don't really get" is people's propensity to open and reply to threads and decry something which they have no direct experience with.

Maybe you can share some wisdom rather than jumping around on your single speed high horse.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I run 1×9 but I can see the arguments for s/s Quirrel.

a) less to go wrong/break.
    b) less maintenance/no cables to stretch.
    c) different riding experience (are you a spinner or a grinder?)

would sir like a coffee to finish?

oxym0r0n

Maybe you can share some wisdom rather than jumping around on your single speed high horse.

Singlespeeding on flat ground is the most boring thing – hills is where it's at 😀

bassspine
    Free Member

the hardest bit about singlespeeding is the wierd antisinglespeed reactions you get on here. Build one and don't tell anyone.

Xylene
    Free Member

I run 1×9 but I can see the arguments for s/s Quirrel.

a) less to go wrong/break.
    b) less maintenance/no cables to stretch.
    c) different riding experience (are you a spinner or a grinder?)

would sir like a coffee to finish?

I see the benefit of a 1×9 or a 1×10. You have a chance to get up those hills, but SS, either legs of steel and tungsten or not bothered about pushing up them.

However on a flat city street, then it would be pretty good, or a dirt track, but then it that just saying ss are glorified BMX's. If that is the case, then I see the point, BMX's are great fun, even though I look like a clown riding one with my long legs.

sanctimoniousasshat
    Free Member

Well if you 'don't get it', do you really expect to be enlightened by barging in on a thread asking advice of singlespeeders? Perhaps start (yet another) 'why SS?' topic? Or even do a search.

I offer no wisdom, just a response to the question, which was more than you managed. I enjoy riding singlespeeds because it makes me think about my riding more – maintaining momentum and metering your effort is essential.

epicyclo

Quirrel, most single speeders don't dump on gearies.

It's poor form to mock people who need a mobility aid designed to allow the old and frail to continue using their bikes…

🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

Oh no! i just read this

I was intrigued before and I fancied an Alfine instead.. Now I want to SS again. Do I do it on my Work bike / occasional offorad 456 or go for it on my Main Off roader?

Is 32/ 16 a good starting point for a fatty? was probably going to go for the tension seeker route…Is 140mm forks ott for ss?

Xylene
    Free Member

It's poor form to mock people who need a mobility aid designed to allow the old and frail to continue using their bikes…

It's as bad as the Apple fan boys jumping up and down every time a Mac is questioned.

Dancake
    Free Member

Sod it just got a cheapo superstar converstion/ tensioner 20 quid (dmr didnt come in an 18T and I currently run a 36 Chainring ) let you know how it goes.

nickc

It's surprising what you can climb with a bit of determination, and surprisingly its more about balance than sheer power. SS on the flat is dull.

rOcKeTdOg

downhill SS = fun
    uphill SS = fun
    flat roads between trails = frustrating unless you can whirl your legs like a windmill

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

flat roads between trails = you're doing it wrong.

rOcKeTdOg

obi_twa wrote blah blah blah

speaker2animals

I find steep hills that i can ride up I get up quicker than my mate on his geared bike. On a SS your lowest speed is the slowest you can turn your chosen ratio over. On a geared bike you find hills "easier" cos you are riding up slower. You still expend the same energy (all other things being equal) you just get to do it more slowly.

If I was commuting more than about 6 miles at a time I'd get a geared bike to save time, but for 6 miles or less I'd be happy to SS (and have done).

If I lived in Huddersfield I wouldn't SS if it was my only bike.

c9tln
    Free Member

cheers all for that.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Single speed is fun for a while and helps to get you fitter.Great for the winter as well. However once you have a level of fitness you get more out of a geared bike.BTW a geared bike is quicker up a hill than a SS with a reasonable level of fitness. Its also quicker on the flat and downhill 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘how hard's single speeding?’ is closed to new replies.