Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How hard is it to change a headset?
  • mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

I’m competent enough to change forks, chainsets & brakes etc, but I think this might be another level…

Is it worth me having a crack at replacing my headset or is it just a bit too tool/skill dependent?

I’m keen to save some cash (& generally back myself to be more careful/OCD than most bike mechanics) but I’m highly aware that messing it up would be pretty counterproductive…

Would does the collective STW wisdom reckon?

All advice very much appreciated!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Do it.

Northwind

Can you smash things with a hammer? And can you persuade things with a hammer? If so, you have all the skills.

That said, often you only have to do the bearings

MrPottatoHead

Still never understood why we grumble so much about PF bottom brackets but happy walloping in headsets with a mallet.

Providing you can drift them in squarely then not a problem, but what’s the frame involved here? Whilst I have no problem going DIY on a relatively cheap metal frame, I’d probably think twice on carbon or a frame I actually GAS about.

dc1988

It’s easy, do it

ads678

It’s a doddle, just whack it reasonably straight.

Or buy a press if whacking it scares you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Had this debate with myself recently. Done it in the past with knackered metal frame.

Nice carbon road bike needs headset including cups. No chance am I using a screwdriver and mallet, it could work, it could go horribly wrong.

kula72
    Free Member

i got a press and a removal tool for about £20 off ebay. done loads since, no issues.

Jordan

I reccommend a press or a diy one like mine, threaded rod and washers etc. I had a frame where the top cup became loose enough to easilly pull out by hand after a whacking session. Didn’t cause a problem in use but it had obviously stretched the headtube.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple with homemade rocket, crown race setter and press. The homemade tools cost me a few quid and did the job. I’m not fitting them every week so the cheap option on cheap frames seemed an acceptable option. I’m planning to use them again when I rebuild the vintage road bike.

There are loads of vids on youtube to help you make the tools and how to use them.

northernsoul

or a diy one like mine, threaded rod and washers etc

Ditto, plus a couple of wood offcuts (I have a couple of bits of plywood). Do one cup at a time and take it slow and you should be fine. The removal tool really helps too if you’re worried about not hitting it straight.

simonalex99

One tip, use general purpose grease like comma. For the cups to go back in the frame – grease, align, some hardwood to tap the cups into frame. Tap once or twice to get started, then a quick sharp tap. Then they be in. I just did a headset a couple days ago, external and internal with that method

colournoise

Always used to remove with a screwdriver/drift and a mallet, and fit with a block of wood and a mallet. Never really any problem with these methods.

I know have a proper removal tool and a press. It’s SO much easier and less stressful.

Either way, it’s not a difficult job if you take your time and are careful.

mountainmonkey2.0
    Free Member

OK great – thanks everyone. I’ve ordered a cheap removal tool & press off eBay for approx. £20 combined. I reckon with both of those it shouldn’t be too tricky & I’ll recover the cost almost immediately.

Thanks for the tips & encouragement. Hopefully there won’t be a “how to repair a cracked headtube” thread to follow!

reeksy

I’ve done my own with a conveniently sized pipe fitting in the past, but should probably get a tool. @mountainmonkey2.0 what did you get?

antigee

Plastic pipe and homemade press but proper removal tools…nowadays the hardest part for me is working out what configuration the existing head set is and buying the correct one to replace it

jkomo

Can we see some tool links please.

bonzodog
    Free Member

OK great – thanks everyone. I’ve ordered a cheap removal tool & press off eBay for approx. £20 combined. I reckon with both of those it shouldn’t be too tricky & I’ll recover the cost almost immediately.

@mountainmonkey2.0 which one did you go for?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How hard is it to change a headset?’ is closed to new replies.