Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How hard do you like your rubber !
  • iainc

Just playing with mine here…..

First time tubeless that is !

I’m 12 stone 4 in the flesh, so about 13 stone in riding gear.

On my 26 Soul with tubes and Purgatorys I normally have about 33 front, 35 rear.

Tubeless setup on 650b Anthem with nobby nics. I’m thinking 25 front and about 28 rear ?

jekkyl

depends on the riding. if it’s my normal rural roads and tracks usually about 30 front n 35 rear but if I’m going out to play on proper technical tracks or trail centres I drop it down to 15-20 front and 20-25 rear. Tubeless of course. I run purgs front n back.

ads678

I’m 16 stone and just set up a 29er purgatory front and ground rear, at 25psi. They felt pretty good.
    Generally run about 30-35 with tubes.

Tracey

Tracey

Butcher front 22, Purgatory rear 22 on all the bikes. Tubeless

jimdubleyou

There’s an app for that…

iTire Pressure by Vittoria S.p.A.
    https://appsto.re/gb/jjDhF.i

jonnyrockymountain

Same as Tracey about 20-22 both front and back

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To feel (all pumps read different) not too squidgy or rolling on the rim, not trashing sidewalls soft or pinching to the rim. Softer than tubes

hairyscary

About 25 rear and 22 front.
    Running 1000g, 650b, WTB tyres, tubeless with huck norris inserts.
    Works well for me at 12 1/2 stone.
    I did blow a little sealant out of the front on a particularly hard landing recently …..might have to go up a wee bit.

mattbee

90kg on a 650b hardtail, Vee tyres Fluid & Float. Mainly ride South Downs/Lordswood so chalky & rooty. 30psi on my pump feels too hard so I go about 25, which seems fine if not occasionally too soft on the rear.

Kamakazie

I run about 18 front and 22 rear when on local soft stuff but I find that squirmed way too much at trail centres with the fast berms and rollers so they go up to mid 25s for that.

iainc

cheers folks, seems like I am in the right ballpark..

tomhoward

15F & 18R in 27.5×3 TL
    22 & 25 in 27.5×2.4 TL
    23 & 26 in 27.5×2.3 TL
    8 & 8 in 26×4.6 tubes

That’s what I set them to when I pump them up, which is by no means every ride, they’re usually way less than that when I think, ‘oooh, that feels a bit squidgy….’

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

19F and 24R, but then I wouldn’t use tyres as fagpaperesque as Nics!

bennyboy1
    Free Member

My 78kg-81kg weight equates to me running 29×2.25 tyres at 21-22psi F / 23-24psi R tubeless (Rocket Ron Evo Snakeskin / Racing Ralph Evo Snakeskin).

jimwah
    Free Member

83kg, 650b rigid, tubes… 😳 Attached pump at the weekend to drop a few psi after a recent ride, now sitting at:

17psi front 3.0 Purgatory
    23psi rear 2.35 Nic

I ride local Chilterns bridleways, so basically fields & thick woodland clag.

bensales
    Free Member

mid-30s in 29er tubeless S-Works Ground Controls. I’m 16 stone butt nekkid, so any lower pressure I can feel the rims hitting rocks. And given they’re rather pricey carbon ones, I’d rather they didn’t.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’m about 13 and a half stone without kit and I run mine tubeless, front minion 27 and rear aggressor 30. I hate a squidgy feeling bike so run my suspension pretty firm too though

soulrider
    Free Member

anything above 60a and Schwalbe’s pace star compound just not grippy enough when it gets damp because it is just too hard…

ok i know I am late with this but its funny in my head.

andybrad

run 20 front (sometimes 18 in winter) on a 27.5 hans dampf trailstar

run between 30 and 25 on the rear (26″) hans damph or new nobby nic.

Agree with the above but switched to a new nobby trailstar and Jesus Christ its draggy

iainc

Ideal, have gone with 25 front, 28 rear on FS with 650b Nobby Nics and it rides great, thanks.

Just setup the 26 Soul last night, with Purgs, on Mavic 719’s at the same for now but suspect they may be a bit squirmy…

whitestone
    Free Member

85Kg and run with 25F, 28R with Bonty XR4/XR3. Rolls well and still has lots of grip.

maxtorque

75kg, SuperGravity Magic Mary out front, SG HansDampf out back

22psi in the rear, pretty much all the time

Front as follows:

1) wet rooty or slippy rides, down to 18psi
    2) Normal stuff, 20psi
    3) DH stuff, up to 22psi to avoid pinches etc and stiffen the carcass under high loads

nairnster
    Free Member

According to the guage on my pump

9 psi front
    15 rear

Bonty XR4 2.35 tyres on 650b 26mm internal rims, with tubes.

So in other words, no idea.

jamj1974

26 x 2.35 & 650b x 2.35 hardtail and FS respectively. Was recently as low as 16psi rear and 14 front. Now gone a little higher – 20 rear and 18 front.

RustySpanner

The Blackburn track pump tells me about 17/25, the Bontrager roughly 25/33.

I’ve given up on pump gauges, tbh.
    🙂

Northwind

Soft as I can really. 6psi both ends on the fatbike, usually 20-25 somewhere on the normal bikes (with reasonably sidewally 2.3-2.5 tyres). I’m 10 stone though so with dualplies I can almost get away with no air at all 😆

With plus tyres I ran into orrible cornering blobbiness but it’s not a problem I’ve ever had with normal tyres, so I just want to be as low as I can without flatting/destroying rims.

nixie

11f/12r for b+. Around 18 on my rocket. I don’t mind a little rear tyre squirm. All tubeless. Measured with digital pressure gauge.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Running with tubes
    I’m 11st, wet through

21 front (Hans Dampf 2.35)
    A little more on the rear (NN 2.25)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Used an old pair of spesh butcher/purg on the 29er this weekend.

I used to think they were alright, bloody awful grip on wet rock.

The bin beckons.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

16 front, 20 rear using a Topeak digital gauge.
    Nobby Nic 2.25 front, Rocket Ron rear on a 29er xc bike

stevied
    Free Member

15st riding weight:
    WTB Convict 2.5″ light/high grip 22psi front
    WTB Vigilamte 2.3″ tough/fast 25psi rear

Maxxis DHR2 ST dual ply 2.4″ 20psi front
    Maxxis DHR2 60a dual ply 2.4″ 24psi rear

(Joe blow & Schwalbe gauge read the same)

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Used an old pair of spesh butcher/purg on the 29er this weekend.

I used to think they were alright, bloody awful grip on wet rock.

The bin beckons.

you used to sing their praises, how come they are so shite now ?

Northwind

Purg’s never been very good tbh. Butcher Control is a great tread but fairly hard rubber so not ideal for wet greasy rock, only soft rubber really copes with that…

iainc

interesting – I went to Purgs front and rear on my Soul a few years back and haven’t thought too much about them since. I did pop a butcher of the front for a while last summer – great grip but a bit draggy on my local stuff. Not sure how squirmy the Purgs will be tubeless on unfashionably narrow Mavic 719’s ? The were fine with tubes at 32/35…

SirHC

This weeked at the Golfie on the Reign was 15psi front, 17psi rear (Topeak Pressure Gauge)

As the trails dry out, will go up in pressure, 18 front, 20-22 rear. 29er runs same pressures.

sideshow
    Free Member

I keep trying to run 20+ to increase my confidence that 2.3x29er tyres won’t fold in the corners

But as soon as I see anything steep and muddy I tend to drop a lot of pressure. It’s hard to refuse the feeling of security it gives and I won’t be cornering hard in those conditions anyway.

Sometimes when I measure it later I find out I’ve been running around 10 each end! With tubes as well, and plenty of sharp limestone bits on the local trails.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How hard do you like your rubber !’ is closed to new replies.