Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • How hard can it be to resign?
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, I tried to resign yesterday.

Sent my boss a polite email, as I’ve always done in the past.

He sends me back a link to the HR Handbook which tells me I need to send the email to HR and just copy him in. So I do that, maybe should have checked first.

Then HR return my email as they no longer accept emails. All issues have to be sent on the appropriate template. And there are several to choose from. None of them specifically relate to resignation.

So I’ve completed what looked like the template with the nearest fit and sent it off.

It’s not been returned to me. Yet. So maybe I have now successfully resigned.

None of this makes me think I’m making a mistake. 😐

richmtb

None of this makes me think I’m making a mistake.

Yep, it would certainly seem, that way

Harry_the_Spider

Nipping one off in the middle of reception is often a speedier way of tendering your resignation. Set fire to a couple of bins also.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It ain’t that hard. I did it last Thursday. 😀

Write an actual letter. Sign it. Makea copy for yourself, give a copy to your manager, post a copy to HR.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

if that fails, just quietly stand up get your coat and walk out, never to be seen again – it’s the uncertainty as to what happens that kills them

DaveRambo

I’ve always handed my boss a printed letter when I’ve resigned.

Included in my view of when my last day is and leave them to it.

If I recall the last time (large consultancy) I was then contacted by HR with all the appropriate forms to fill in.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was once threatened with my annual review being down graded for failing to follow the correct process when resigning.

When I pointed out I would have left the company 9 months before that review I was told it was people like me abusing the process that was causing the low morale.

I suggested it could be the pointless processes and bureaucracy that prevented people actually doing their job that could be causing the low morale but was told that I was talking twaddle.

The company folded about 5 months later

GrahamS

If all else fails, dirty protest.

MoreCashThanDash

WCA – the problem is that government departments don’t usually fold five months later. They are immortal.

A dirty protest is an interesting possibility.

allthegear
    Free Member

A dirty protest needs preparation – there’s no point turning up one day and then laying a nice neat poo-let on the Reception desk. You need to prepare your system to deliver poo-magedden though a week’s curry-and-kebab-fest.

Then, a few minutes before the big event, a couple of sachets of Picolax… 😈

Rachel

wrightyson
    Free Member

The mrs had done this last week. **** of a boss said go away and think about your decision over the weekend and I’ll see also what I can do re the issues. She’s seen him again today and he’s done nothing so she’s told him to whistle! Thank God I’m not going on her works do this year as the combination of his bell endery and stella may have been too much to bare…

bearnecessities

Sure you want to resign and not hold out for the opportunity of package?

Seems a little hasty if this is all as a result of your p/t working application.

MoreCashThanDash

There is no package. We are short staffed and recruiting, hence they don’t want to let me drop to part time hours.

Need to walk now so we don’t start incurring the childcare costs we were trying to avoid after the New Year.

allthegear
    Free Member

It will be interesting to see if they change their mind once you have shown you are serious abut walking.

Rachel

binners

Torch the place…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good luck OP, clearly they are in denial 🙂 or at the very least trying to delay your last working day

was once threatened with my annual review being down graded for failing to follow the correct process when resigning

Thats tremendous, very David Brent

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Bollox to all that twaddle. Send HR and boss an email telling them you’re going, when your last day will be and that the next day you won’t be in. Then start clearing your desk.

cranberry
    Free Member

Write “I resign” on your cock, show it to people at work until the company agrees with you.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Ask for smallish payrise, get knocked back, hand prepared resignation letter to manager. Walk back to desk and wait for the shit to hit the fan.

The shit really hit the fan.

Splattered everywhere. What a mess. Millions in losses, closed factory site, 400 unemployed/redeployed

I like to think their complete ignorance about what skilled, qualified engineers earned in the real world helped. About a dozen of my team left within the following 6 months, most took somewhere between large and massive payrises.

HA.

bikebouy
    Free Member

OP, looks like your Line Manager will be getting some stick for this and he/she knows it hence the “do it in triplicate and signed in blood” scenario pointed out. It’ll be “why the fek did you let a valued employee leave when his simple ask was to drop hours blahdiblah.” Just wondering now if that request you made got any further from him/her above or to HR.. It may have, it may not have. I’d start with a copy of the request you made, just in case it goes a bit sour.

Step 1 – you’ve done whats required and informed your Line Manager
    Step 2 – you’ve been asked to duplicate and send to HR, you’ve done that too.

There isn’t a step three other than the one you take out of the door.

HTH’s

Trimix
    Free Member

Id wait till just after payday then never come back.

philjunior
    Free Member

If it’s reduced hours they’re pushing back on due to being understaffed (and you are prepared to leave due to this) then whatever you do DON’T go back when they offer you the reduced hours you were after..

I had flexible working under a boss that was uncomfortable with the whole idea, and it was a shambles. I left shortly after they stopped my flexible working, but should have left before I started it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

JUst show up part time in the new year as you requested, by the time you’re performance managed out you’ll have had six months or more full time pay packets

brassneck

Then, a few minutes before the big event, a couple of sachets of Picolax…

There’s making a statement, and then there’s taking the piss 😯

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

you’ve told your boss, let him deal with **** HR

perchypanther
    Free Member

Write “I resign” ” This situation has become simply intolerable and, under no circumstances, can I continue in this untenable position and hereby give notice of my intention to terminate my employment” on your cock, show it to people at work until the company agrees with you.

This is what I would do. 😉

bearnecessities

I’m not sure “Thi” would make a lot of sense.

wwaswas

This is what I would do.

The all you’d need to do is find a hipster with a portable fiche reader…

MoreCashThanDash

bearnecessities – have you been peeking?

There is always the possibility that I am not the valued employee that you all think I am and that there is just a plot to piss me off even more before I leave?

IdleJon

Somebody I knew, a few years ago……

He was offered a job, better pay, better work at a reputable company, so went to in to the crap bike co and offered his resignation. They said, hold on, don’t go. We’ll put you on that cushy desk over there and look at increasing pay etc. He turned up the next day and they put him straight back onto his old, rubbish job, no mention of anything already promised. He sat there like a good boy until morning break, then just walked out of the building without saying a word to anyone. Started his new job the following week.

(Not me – I’d already walked out of the same crap bike company about a year before without as much style.)

MrNice
    Free Member

A dirty protest needs preparation – there’s no point turning up one day and then laying a nice neat poo-let on the Reception desk. You need to prepare your system to deliver poo-magedden though a week’s curry-and-kebab-fest.

Then, a few minutes before the big event, a couple of sachets of Picolax…

Rachel

you’ve obviously been thinking about this 😯

bearnecessities

There is always the possibility that I am not the valued employee that you all think I am and that there is just a plot to piss me off even more before I leave?

I know where you work & I know you’re not valued 🙂

Not asked for I accept, but my opinion is that from what you’ve posted here, you should sit down, take a breath and have a proper think about your options before throwing the towel in on a well paid job (in an organisation that will be changing in structure, hence holding out for a package comment)

senorj

I know where you work & I know you’re not valued

Is bearnecessities MoreCashThanDash’s line manager perhaps? 😉

bearnecessities

Shhhh 🙂

EDIT: If I was, I’d have set up monitoring of his internet usage long ago!

ninfan
    Free Member

You’ve given them the letter – just stop turning up and see if they i) realise ii) stop paying you.

MoreCashThanDash

Internal fraud did me for my internet usage a few years ago. That’s what 4G is for!

I appreciate your thoughts bearnecessities, but we don’t make people redundant and give them packages any more. I’m at one of the sites that definitely isn’t closing. As for well paid, the benefit cap has just been lowered below my salary level.

And I’m damned if I will piss around any more for a job that has had me off sick with anxiety and depression, prescribed anti depressants and on a course of CBT.

Just had an email from my boss wanting to know why I had copied him in to a blank template to HR. If he’d scrolled down the email he’d see the text that went into the template.

alanl
    Free Member

Similar experience as one of the posters above when I resigned from my last job.
    I rang up the HR Dept (I worked remotely), told them I’d be leaving at the end of the Month, and would they like it in writing etc.
    I got a call from my Manager later that day, asking what do I think I’m doing ringing up HR, when I should have rang him first, and that he’d be giving me a written warning if I do it again.

He wasnt the sharpest tool.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member

Write “I resign” ” This situation has become simply intolerable and, under no circumstances, can I continue in this untenable position and hereby give notice of my intention to terminate my employment” on your cock, show it to people at work until the company agrees with you.

This is what I would do.

Shouldn’t you be writing that on your banana?

geoffj

Not asked for I accept, but my opinion is that from what you’ve posted here, you should sit down, take a breath and have a proper think about your options before throwing the towel in on a well paid job (in an organisation that will be changing in structure, hence holding out for a package comment)

This ^ x100

MoreCashThanDash

It’s not well paid. We are recruiting, not laying off.

X100

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How hard can it be to resign?’ is closed to new replies.