Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)
  • How good is San Marino?!
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

IF you dont like them up the path by the school 😉

FWIW – I have timed it and up through the gardens past the top barn = by side of the Ice cream run is actually faster than the school route

there is a niceish route up through the gardens
    Will show it later when not on a dongle

wittonweavers
    Free Member

When you say school i presume you mean Rivington & Blackrod high school? I have done that path once before and wouldnt fancy it again!

My thought had been to hot tail up the road to the car park at the bottom of the ICR and then take the path to the right, up and under the 7 arch bridge and then carry on straight up to George’s Lane.

The worry would be if the road gets closed at the kennels on Georges Lane – then the path up from the school might be the only real option.

scaled
    Free Member

Are you planning on taking us down ICR?

*fingers crossed*

Junkyard
    Free Member

that is probably the fastest way but i have never done the road section and would personally prefer to do it offroad

wittonweavers
    Free Member

@scaled that wasn’t the plan although there is a little fluidity in things until i sort out timings. I’m not a big fan of the ICR but i know plenty of others are. Im also expecting a potentially large turn out on Monday (weather dependant i suppose) which always leads to longer times getting through gates etc. If time allows i can look to add it in.

@Junkyard agree that off road is certainly better – just a question of time!

D0NK

officially the closure is from marklands rd to about 200 yds passed the kennels so the only 100% legit route to the mast is through horwich up marklands and the mast road – bleurgh.
    Personally I’d go for school, arboretum to 1/3 of the way up the upper barn rd, upper barn, BW upto top car park, up the AICR (7 arches), pike if time permitting, down georges to the kennels and if georges is looking dodgy straight up to 2 lads from there. If georges is clear then take hole in the wall/rangers path (path from wildeswood up to the mast rd)

chakaping
    Free Member

I did a nice loop yesterday taking in Rivvy, Turton moor, Tockholes and Great Hill.

That descent down to White Coppice is phenomenal. Had somehow managed to forget how challenging and varied it was after my previous go at it.

Georges Lane perfectly passable at 4.30pm. Just one bloke with his feet propped up in a van reading The Sun and taking no interest in me tootling past.

Is San Marino the descent at around 2mins in the video on page 1?

Not trying to be a cock, but if so, it looks a bit meh to me – kinda like a very average Peak descent 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

starts at 1 min
    Video does not do it justice= they rarely do.
    Many descents are good in the peaks but it is in no sense an “average” peaks descent [ whatever that means]
    I dont think anyone would do it and not enjoy it but YMMV

FWIW Georges lane still open [ tonight 01/07/14] to cars never mind bikes

Did a very similar route to chapaking

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m thinking George’s Lane has just been “closed” as a bit of arse-covering in case any kids/dogs/doggers fall down those holes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes last night when i was there a car had collected their pooch from the kennels and it is nothing like blocked.

Junkyard
    Free Member

up today and it was blocked as they were doing a water pipe at the kenell house and also some electrical work by the telegraph pole by the footpath

they were on their break and happily let me through and made sure i did not fall in any holes..they were sound and fine with it all and no issues at all.

Speaking to them it may be blocked during the day when they work but probably wont be at night and if it is it will just be a hole across the road for a pipe so bikes and walkers should be fine but you might not want to go at full speed.

Bregante

Any update on the closure of Georges Lane??

Its my last day off sans kids tomorrow (before the summer hols kick in) and San Marino features in my plans!

scaled
    Free Member

Was up there last night, its all clear. There’s just a few cones up by the dog kennels.

Bregante

Cheers. I’ll be up there in the morning but it sounds like it’ll be fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘How good is San Marino?!’ is closed to new replies.