Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • How good is San Marino?!
  • hora
    Free Member

Its further down- you’ve got the start of the chicken line parallel (where all the walkers walk up)- about 10m’s in on the right going down- you’d see it- sharp edge-central.

robj20
    Free Member

Never had any issues with ICR and always just fly straight down all the rough stuff. I did once run my rear tyre too low though and could feel the bang of the rim landing off the tarmac slab.

I havent even done san marino yet always change my mind and just play around in the gardens.

traildog
    Free Member

I much prefer the ice cream run to San Marino. San Marino is just all out speed and that’s not really my thing. It’s fun, but just not my favorite. I love the rocks and effort of the ice cream run, and the more rocks the better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HindlePie
    Free Member

I love doing the Belmont descent just to see the grins on your mates faces at the bottom.

eaststandlower
    Free Member

Off up there tomorrow, deciding whether to go down San Marino or drop down to Belmont Road from behind the masts (basically get to start of San Marino but turn left and follow the road round) as I work my way over to Tockholes/Abbey Village/White Coppice. Or could go Great Hill.

Either way, a nice early start to ensure empty trails….

chakaping
    Free Member

I holed my minion dropping off the tarmac bit on ICR the other week. I was on a Strava attempt though after being knocked out of the top 10.

🙁

Rivington might not be the Lakes, but it’s got some fantastic trails and I’m still finding more each ride. Lovely place to be on a sunny evening too.

D0NK

ICR can be fun, equally can be scary, changes so often you never know which it’ll be, ridden it loads but still instill The Fear in me.

I love doing the Belmont descent just to see the grins on your mates faces at the bottom

50/50 split between “great” and “thank **** it’s over” ime 😉
    That drop off the tarmac has claimed many many tubes/tyres I reckon

Riding down a footpath at an average speed of over 45kph is pretty reckless

probably one of the less stupid KOMs*, really good sight lines so only a monumental bellend who could see walkers but still tear arse passed should cause problems, trying to emulate that speed is certainly personally reckless for most riders tho 😯
    I’m not slow and I’m miles behind Matt, I’m never going to attempt to beat that time.

*still disagree with the concept of downhill KOMs tho.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

*still disagree with the concept of downhill KOMs tho.

What! Those are the best bits aren’t they?

Completely agree with DONK that San Marino is one of the few really wide-open and safe descents to do this on though from a cycle-walker-interface avoidance perspective.

ukbikerider
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member
    Riding down a footpath at an average speed of over 45kph is pretty reckless

I suspect he had a clear run, majority of the decent you can see clearly whats coming, unlikely to hit someone really

ukbikerider
    Free Member

Im no expert on the area but if you like the san marino & ice cream decents then I would recommend the great hill summit to White coppice decent, it has elecments of both & the summer is the time to ride it!

An equally epic decent!

binners

That drop off the tarmac has claimed many many tubes/tyres I reckon

Its claimed a Bontrager Rhythm back rim of mine, shortly after it claimed the tyre 🙁

Riding down a footpath at an average speed of over 45kph is pretty reckless ****ing good fun!!!!

FTFY 😀

robj20
    Free Member

where is the white coppice decent.

hora
    Free Member

How do you find it? Is that the one thats over the road from the rocky road at the top of the climb back/up from San Marino run? (why are we now calling it this?)

wors

where is the white coppice decent

White Coppice 😉

binners

And white coppice descent put me in A&E getting my smashed-in face stitched up! And that was the end of my modelling career 😥

hora
    Free Member

Is that why you stopped doing your Blue-steel look at the last catwalk show? 😐

wors

Pictures Binners, we NEED pictures 😆

ukbikerider
    Free Member

robj20 – Member
    where is the white coppice decent.

Look on the map, top of great hill down to White Coppice 🙂

flashpaul
    Free Member

I tried to find my way from Belmont road to Great Hill / White Coppice last week but could’nt find the route , ended up back at Rivington

So if anyone has a route going the other way from Rivington to Great Hill please post it.

ukbikerider
    Free Member

I dont have a route but a loop i do is as follows:

Rivington barns, upto pike, upto Winter hill, San Marino, upto Belmont, Round Belmont Reservoir to join Witton Weavers way heading North, through the woods & round the 3 reservoirs to Abbey Village, Road to Brinscall, Climb up great hill, down to White Coppice & Then Healey Nab or back to Rivi.

Hope you can make sense of that? approx 23-25 miles

Junkyard
    Free Member

flashpaul at the very top of the road climb there is a car park on your right go through it and then through the gate and just keep going making sure the drystone wall is on your right up the hill [ other paths go to your left to Leads mine clough] – path initially illdefinded but just keep going.
    Its a footpath its boggy and it ends up being a paved /slabbed road
    You cannot really go wrong tbh
    IMHO it is not worth doing unless it is either very dry or frozen and its open moorland that gets too much damage – it will be boggy currently though I was tempted today

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=365460&y=415937&z=120&sv=365460,415937&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=761&ax=365460&ay=415937&lm=0

Drop me an email if you want a guide
    I can ride it this Sunday if any use

HindlePie
    Free Member

And white coppice descent put me in A&E getting my smashed-in face stitched up! And that was the end of my modelling career

That wasn’t Great Hill to White Coppice descent mate. It was a big wide featureless track that you struggled with. It was near White Coppice though 😉

traildog
    Free Member

The White Coppice descent you mention is a bit of a sensitive spot. I can get very muddy and dug up in Winter and there has been lots of fighting over it with locals. It’s not a bridleway, and is high on the cheeky scale. Only do it occasionally. Of course, I don’t do it at all, but if I was to then I would keep it to summer evenings only.

binners

I get confused. Especially when I’ve face planted at that speed. I just knew I was near White Coppice.

Anyway…. never mind informing me where I have and haven’t fallen off and smashed myself in, have you registered for the Mary Townley yet, or what?

hora
    Free Member

Im on it now. Cant be much further along?!

Ive been over 2 styles so far

hora
    Free Member

Ah on slabbed path now

flashpaul
    Free Member

Thanks for the directions Junkyard , some parts were a bit boggy but generally its drying out nicely

Enjoyed the descent from Great Hill down to White Coppice

As you said you cant go wrong , I will have to try lead mines next week

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I really enjoy the ride over from the car park at the top of the road from Belmont to Rivington (Horden Stoops) to Lead Mines Clough. Nice and fast and very few walkers on there.

First couple of hundred meters are always a bit boggy though!

flashpaul
    Free Member

@wittonweavers , so instead of going straight on at the car park I should turn left for lead mines clough ?

jonnym92

Live in Tockholes so pretty familiar with the area. I take it the ‘San Marino’ is the run down from Winter Hill to San Marino?

Personally prefer some of the runs down from Darwen Tower, providing the wind isn’t too strong and they aren’t busy.

I’ve never really got the Great Hill hype, find those slabs difficult to maintain speed and the descent back to Abbey Village isn’t worth it.

Can anyone recommend me a route from Rivington over to Healey Nab?

hora
    Free Member

Going back to San Marino. I’ve never really liked Rivi, I’m not a fan on wide open moorland trails. Prefer a ride to have proper woodland mixed in and some tight/cheeky trails to boot. Always liked Hebden and alot of the dark Peak.

Rivi (which is the closest for me) leaves me cold personally. I do like the top bit/2nd third of ICR though 8)

Kit
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden round Rivington since 2006 🙁

scaled
    Free Member

That first big drop in to wall ride on ICR is ace if you get it right. Pretty high penalty for failure though.

There’s been a fair bit of action in the top 10 since this thread was started (not me!)

hora
    Free Member

Thats the bit I like- up high then bang bang – weeeee br-br-br-bri

GavinB

@jonnym92

Not sure why you’d ride to Abbey Village from Great Hill. The best descent from there is to White Coppice, either ending at White Coppice itself, or veering right at the final tight left turn, then following a necky little path which meanders it way north. Or plenty of other options through the woods around Wheelton Plantation.

As for a route from Rivington to Healey Nabb, I’ve got two easy ones. From Rivington itself follow the bridleway to the east of Upper Rivington Reservoir that spits you out at the dam at the south end of Anglezarke reservoir. Then either ride across the dam on the road until the Yew Tree pub, turn right, then right again (signposted bridleway) at Kay’s Farm, OR (cheekier option) ride to the right as you exit the bridleway and at the car park for Anglezarke, keep left, especially at the top of a short steep tarmac section, then follow good a good path, always keeping left around the edge of the reservoir until it drops you out near Healey Nabb.

(edited as Streetmap link failed)

binners

Hora – you spend an awful lot of time riding at a place you professes not to like. I think that as with your sexuality, you’re in denial

wittonweavers
    Free Member

@flashpaul

Take the track out of the car park as far as the first gate. Follow the stome wall for about 100 yards – keeping it on your right as per the earlier instructions for Great Hill. As the track starts to steepen to can see a trail going diagonally off to the left. Follow that. It initially goes uphill before turning down hill. You will pass a few ruined buildings and eventually meet up with a decent wide track. Follow this to the right* and it will eventually deposit you in Lead Mines Clough.

*Incidently, if curiosity gets the better of you and you wonder where you might end up by going left – I wouldnt bother as it seems to peter out leaving a painful slog across some fields!

Apologies for the text quality!

chakaping
    Free Member

I am gleaning some useful tips from this thread.

🙂

jonnym92

@GavinB

Cheers for that. Will try get chance to check out the route from Rivi to Nab.

Not sure why I’ve been going down to Abbey Village via Great Hill, just the way I’ve done it. Will have to go on an exploration ride to White Coppice if it is as good as said!

flashpaul
    Free Member

thanks for all the tips , will keep me busy next week when I am off

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘How good is San Marino?!’ is closed to new replies.