Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • How good is San Marino?!
  • scaled
    Free Member

I went for a little ride up round Rivington last night, it’s the first time i’ve been up there and been able to see the mast from more than about 50ft away, blazing sunset on one side, moonrise on the other.

Along with the low visibility it’s always been wetter than an otters pocket when I rode up there so last night was a revelation. It’s so fast, flowy and suitably sketchy in places.

So good in fact that when we got to the bottom we turned round, rode back up and had another go 😀

That cobbled road up there can **** off though.

D0NK

Was riding really well before I went on holiday, would have thought the rain of the last few days would have slowed it down a bit, good to hear it hasn’t done too much damage, might have a look tonight.

unless you rode the cobbled road on rigid bike stop moaning, bloody overly pampered mtbers nowadays…. 😉

Jonesy
    Free Member

Now all you have to do is beat Matt Gill KOM on Strava!!

binners

Heres a run in the dry from a summer evening run a while back, featuring our very own tourist – Molgrips

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEqItT8-7s[/video]

I’m planning on riding over for a blast down on Saturday morning. Good to hear its nice and dry. You always reach the bottom of the San Marino with a dirty big smile on your face 😀 AGAIN!! AGAIN!!!!!!!

scaled
    Free Member

He’s got 27 seconds on me down there, I found 20 between my first and second runs but another 27 on top of that? Naaaah, I think he’s safe!

Only 10 secs off the rocky descent from the broken road to the car park though and I ended up sideways in to a wall at one point on that hah

and binners, compared to last night, that looks like a wet run!

GavinB

Yup, one of my fave bits of trail anywhere.

It’s gotten pretty rutted in the last few years, meaning that some sections have changed loads, lines moved and more and more chicken lines appearing, making the trail wider.

It could probably do with some ‘organised’ work, but as its only a footpath, erm 🙄

funkhouser
    Free Member

anyone know a good non too roadie route that would take in the best bits of Rivington and connect up to Holcombe?

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Got to be said that its not that easy to connect up Holcombe and Rivington – and tbh the more off road in it then the longer the actual commute.

I guess the best off road route would be to ride around Moorbottom Road from Holcombe to Crowthorn. Down the road / tracks towards the Strawbury Duck and Turton / Entwistle Reservoir. Then i’d be tempted to go down the Witton Weavers to Turton Golf Club and drop down through Egerton to Dunscar Bridge.

From there, up past Gleaves Reservoir and up to the Scout Road car park before heading either up Coal Pit or one of the tracks on to the top of Winter Hill. Guess this latter part depends on where exactly you want to get to at Rivington / Winter Hill…

binners

funkhouser – When you get to the bottom of the San Marino, Turn left, then right at the bleach works, head up that small road, past doggers paradise/blowjob alley, left at the main road towards Darwen.

You’ll get to a right turn – carry on past that, and head right, over the gate, this will run you down through the woods, to ride down the steps to the reservoir. If you carry on round, you’ll hit the strawberry duck. From there its up the road, then take the trail straight across until you get to the next road. Quick left, then first right will take you on a road climb up to the horseshoe trail that traverses Holcombe

Alternatively: Pick up the Whitton Weavers from Belmont, and up over Dawen Moor which will drop you down to pick up the trail round the reservoirs

D0NK

I concur with witton weavers, in the belmont rd to green arms rd area decent routes are scarce, I ride rivi mostly, if I head to holcombe it’s normally via darwen, that pushes the mileage up quite a bit tho.

funkhouser
    Free Member

ah right thanks, im good from the Strawberry duck. was thinking id do a bit round holcombe and wind up on Crowthorne Rd then head over via the routes mentioned above. i suppose a climb up and a blast down San Marino then heading back would be a decent enough ride as it is, but itd be good to do a little bit more while im over there.

badllama
    Free Member

I enjoy San Marino but it doesn’t like me lol I’ve binned it on the last 2 times I’ve ridden it. According to the GPS the last one I hit the deck at 18 mph and that hurt big time I had the imprint of the Gopro chesty on me for days 😀

We are up there this Sunday doing all 3 descents San Marino, Dog Kennels and Ice Cream I hope i’ll stay on for once LOL

GavinB

If its dry enough, I prefer extending the ride by heading to the north: Tockholes Plantation, Darwen Tower, Great Hill, Healey Nab, White Coppice (not in that order btw). Plenty of good riding around those areas, especially when its drier.

Heading towards Holcombe tends to involve too much road, for not that good riding IMO.

scaled
    Free Member

Tell me more of these ‘dog kennels’ and ‘Ice cream’

I’ve only got strava segment names to go by but there’s only san marino and ‘Broken road descent’ that really float my boat round there.

It’s no Marple/Roaman lakes for descent density 😉

lowey

Get off my land.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Please Lord Lowey, by your leave, may I have permission to ride on your land this Wednesday night?
    The requisite forms have of course been submitted, in triplicate.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

not sure, as i don’t use strava, but “broken road descent” could be the ice cream run maybe?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

broken road = icecream run
    I seldom bother with it now TBH, as there are way better descents in the Japanese Gardens.

chakaping
    Free Member

“broken road descent” could be the ice cream run maybe?

It is indeed.

Scaled – Drop me a line if you want a show around sometime, there are a few more very worthwhile bits close by.

scaled
    Free Member

I’m yet to ride the Japanese gardens – with the weather last night there were a lot of walkers* out and about at the top of the gardens.

I dunno, one massive rock garden? what could be better than that? 😀

*stoners

Cheers chakaping – I might well do that, I’m sure the Monday Night Club will be up that way again soon!

binners

Lowey – did you get my paperwork about rinding Saturday? I put in a request in triplicate in plenty of time, with the usual bribe donation to party funds of course, m’lud

*doffs cap*

The snipers at the top of the Pigeon Tower looked a bit trigger happy

Oh… riding the gardens in daylight is generally considered bad form. Its an after dark pleasure. Much like the plentiful dogging in the area

Next Monday night anyone?

lowey

Ecky… do you have a gpx for the Black Coombe route you did ? Only bit of the lakes I’ve never done.

Cheers matey.

lowey

Bloody liberty takers 🙂

The hounds will be released next time.

geoffj

I preferred it when it was The Wrights Arms 😕

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lowey, only the Strava track for Black Coombe.
    Not got a separate GPS so never bothered trying to download a route but I believe this will do the job:
    http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/

lowey

Looks good mate, have you got the strava *spits* link of your ride ?

Cheers.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Binners, fancy doing a bit of guiding some time when Ali’s back is recovered? We could do with finding out a few more routes around t’other side (i.e. from Rivi over to your way)…

hora
    Free Member

What time Monday bins? I was sat watching tv last night staring outside depressed/lethargic thinking I’m wasting this weather in the evenings.

binners

xherbivorex – I’d more than happy to show you around the local trails any time you fancy mate. Just let me know when Ali’s feeling up to it

Our normal start time on a Monday is 8.15 Hora. Get yourself out next week for a hoon down the San Marino!

And … yes… you are wasting the weather in the evenings. though not at the moment as its hail-stoning, and I’ve got to ride home in it in a couple of hours! I was going to go via Lee and Cragg Quarry, but quite frankly… **** that!!! 🙁

wittonweavers
    Free Member

I am taking Friday off as a mate of mine wants a guided tour of Rivvi and Winter Hill. Meeting at The Bob Smithy at 10.30 and doing 3-4 hours of riding before have a few pints and a bite to eat in the pub.

If anyone fancies joining us then feel free!

chakaping
    Free Member

Anybody up Winter Hill yesterday? Still muddy or dried out now?

Weighing up whether to ride this arvo or go for a road ride and leave MTB until tomorrow eve, since forecast is to stay dry.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

All good last night. Everything nice and dry.
    San Marino absolutely flying too. Well at least it was right up to the point where I put a 2″ slash in the dual ply rear and sent a wad of Stans over the trail 🙁

scaled
    Free Member

Winter hill/rivi has dried out a lot faster than Marple/hayfield.

I got bloody well soaked last night going across to the shooting cabin and nearly OTB in a wheel eating puddle.

Variety is the spice of life and all that though.

simondbarnes

Riding down a footpath at an average speed of over 45kph is pretty reckless 🙁

philbert31
    Free Member

I might be on for Rivi on monday night, depending on how my back holds up, I may bail out mid ride though depending on pain levels!

scaled
    Free Member

45kph down that particular footpath is probably less reckless than that sort of speed down quite a few bridleways in the peak.

At least its wide open and you’ve got clear views of anything coming up, or indeed anything hurtling down toward you

richpips
    Free Member

It’s no Marple/Roaman lakes for descent density

But about equal in their dullness.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

But about equal in their dullness.

How is the San Marino dull?!

What is your idea of exciting / exhilarating / testing?

hora
    Free Member

Whats going on with the Ice cream run? It seems to be more baby-headed rocks that are jagged/sharp edged. Last time I jumped off that tarmac ledge and immediately my rear pfffttss (40psi so didn’t pinch- it was the sidewall).

Last night abit further down (on a two ride-old EXO Ardent)

wittonweavers
    Free Member

On my way up Winter Hill / Rivvi in a few minutes. Ice Cream run isnt a favourite of mine but i was going to include it in the ride… might not bother now!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘How good is San Marino?!’ is closed to new replies.