Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • How good are all season tyres?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

i went to EK once.

i was amazed i made it out with my wheels still attached

munrobiker
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the likes of Cross Climates have a compound that works better at low temperatures than summer tyres, or if it’s just a summer compound with a snow tread? I’d like to stop using two sets of wheels but want something that grips better than a summer tyre when it’s below 7 degrees or frosty, not just has better grip in snow.

iainc

trail_rat

i went to EK once.

i was amazed i made it out with my wheels still attached

must’ve been a Bank Holiday 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

perchypanther
    Free Member

Does anyone know if the likes of Cross Climates have a compound that works better at low temperatures than summer tyres,

That’s what they claim.

It’s apparently a summer compound with added winteriness rather than a winter compound with added summeriness

Having tried them, I’m not inclined to disagree. They’re much better in the cold and the wet than the OEM Toyos my car came with.

boblo
    Free Member

Another Cross Climes pervert convert here. Changed all 4 on my V70 20k miles ago. They’ve had a couple of winter Alps trips and lots of summer continental driving and they’ve been ace. No noisier, no difference in mpg and betterer in winter/no worserer in summer.

Cost wise, yes they’re dearer but they claim +20% life over normal stuff so they should work out cost neutral if true. My front’s normally last 20k and they’re nowhere near done so those claims hold up so far.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

a compound that works better at low temperatures than summer tyres, or if it’s just a summer compound with a snow tread

I thought they were summery kind of compounds with a sprinkle of winter chemicals and a more winter like tread.

DickBarton

Thanks for suggestion Matt, will call them when needing changed.

paton
    Free Member

richmtb

I was using CrossClimates before the were cool!

Used them on a Leon FR for about 5 years. Swapped to a Focus ST and took off four part worn (but easily had another 6 months) Michelin Pilot Sports for CrossClimates.

If I had to sum them up i’d say they are good in the dry, good in snow, but amazing in the wet. Traction on wet roads is the best i’ve had from a tyre. They should market them as “designed for Scotland!”

paton
    Free Member

windysurfer
    Free Member

Had some Goodyear 4 season tyres fitted at my local tyre place, the best part worns I’ve seen for £20 a corner.

boblo
    Free Member

@paton that is one annoying cockwomble, hard to get past that and listen to what he says…

tthew

I’ve got the Maxxis AP2 on my Transit Connect. Much closer to your price target than the cross climates! Seemed great last winter and haven’t noticed any strange or rapid wear in the nearly a year they’ve been fitted, but I don’t drive like Mikka Hakkanen.

As someone on the previous page noted, I’ve also seen a drop in economy , also about 3mpg I reckon. When I come to change them I’ll see what that equates to in cash over their lifetime, but will have all seasons for definite in future.

Waderider
    Free Member

To counteract the cross climate love, my wifes car and mine are on them. On my V70 at half worn they aquaplane quite easily. Perhaps I need to slow down!

Goodyear four seasons are better at shifting water in my experience….rain being more common than snow, I am moving to Goodyear for this winter.

Also I work in Forestry so get onto dirt roads and again the Goodyears are better.

I drive about the Fort William area, so pretty wet roads.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘How good are all season tyres?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts