Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • How fit are you – and what are you doing about it?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m fit, I ride and trail run when not riding. Can’t/don’t want to do much more than I do and I like real ale & pies but also like a 32in waist and no belly… 😆

StefMcDef
    Free Member

My fitness tend to peak in the spring and summer then recede as I instinctively take on a protective layer of winter blubber by not going out in the cold and pishing rain if I can help it, and staying in the house eating comfort food.

The aspect of my fitness that could be doing with being looked at is being less stiff and inflexible. Whilst I don’t mind going out on the bike and chasing strava segments to the point where I am gasping for breath, the way my body complains when I do things like putting socks on suggests I need to be doing some kind of regular stretching regime that I have obviously neglected.

stumpy01

Fitter than average bloke on the street (for cycling) but not very fit.

Tell myself every year that I am going to make the time to get fitter, but never seem to manage it. Would like to get my IT bands sorted so I can start running again, but it takes a lot off time stretching and foam rolling that I never seem to have.

Really don’t know how people find the time to fit riding in (enough to get properly fit) with work, getting stuff done around the house, spending time with partners, family & friends etc. And I don’t have kids.
    I barely find the time to maintain fitness, let alone improve it!

nickc

I’m fit enough to do what I want to do. I can ride all day road or off, I’m quicker than all but 1 of the people I normally ride with, and I can do anything ‘outdoors-y’ that I want to without it killing me the following day..

Used to ‘train’ reasonably hard, now I don’t, so I’ve no delusion that I’ll get slower over time, not particularly bothered, if I’m honest.

hjghg5
    Free Member

In running terms fit enough to be in the top 3 women at small parkruns and top 5% at big ones but not fit enough to get into the prizes at races where the proper fast people turn up in bigger numbers. Usually end up being my club’s last scorer in team events.

Cyclingwise probably a bit less fit, although that could be because I end up comparing myself to men rather than women…

paladin

Damn fit, I get admiring glances wherever I go 😆

ask1974
    Free Member

Not anywhere near as fit as I’d like, I’d say about average for a part time cyclist as that’s what I’ve become 😐

Haven’t been in the saddle for over a month now due to work, kids and social. Can’t whinge as whilst I miss it life is pretty good right now but really need to sort it out as no time for other activities either. Here’s looking forward to some clear, frosty, Autumn mornings – without doubt my favourite riding conditions 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Not unfit but nowhere near fast enough !.Time trial pbs of 23 .23 for a 10 and 1.00.54 for a 25 would like to be under 22 mins and the hour next year.Now dieting im 6 ft 4 and 15 st 7 at the moment would like to get to 14 st 2 which will be a 10% drop from my starting point a couple of weeks ago

yunki
    Free Member

I’m perhaps not as fit as I was five years ago, but I’m certainly heading that way..
    I seem to have turned a corner finally with an injury that’s been bothering me for the last few years.. I think I could soon be on my way to becoming as fit as an average part time cyclist..

Sorting my diet would be a good step

cynic-al
    Free Member

Somewhere between weekend fit and race fit.

Just entered the Strathpuffer so will give myself a doing over the next 6 weeks in prep for that, I then focus on London marathon, then an Ironman in June and possibly another in August.

TiRed

Top third in E1234 masters racing fit. Fast enough for top 10 in Cat4 racing and targeting sub 4:30 century. Now at the point where a training plan is required to go further. Road fitness benefits my off-road SS climbing, but I haven’t raced an mtb race this year. The fittest I’ve ever been and the same weight I was 20 years ago (70 kg and 179cm).

yunki
    Free Member

From Strava last night

Ridden 1841 times by 624 people
    Men
    00:12:42
    Wouter Sybrandy
    Women
    00:14:07
    Maryka Sennema
    My Best Effort
    00:29:43

although to be fair I was on a steel MTB with draggy tires 😳

ononeorange

Probably about 3/10 on a fitness scale that I just invented. Appalled at how unfit and unhealthy I have become. According to BUPA I am borderline obese, I have brought it down a stone since though, have high bp and ragingly high chloresterol (latter is clearly genetic as I don’t really touch red meat, cheese etc and don’t drink in the week).

Can only manage a sedate 14mph average on a local 1 hour loop (in the summer so when it’s not muddy), as I don’t have the opportunity to ride / exercise much in the week, but have just started spinning again. They have a board which ranks everyone’s positions according to power output – and yes, I am being destroyed by younger people at each session. Depressing.

All in all a pretty sorry story really, but then I was strictly non-sports at school. Envious of all those above who can get out regularly and get themselves fit.

samuri
    Free Member

Probably very fit for normal people, above average for cyclists. Ride most days and do it fast. No such thing as an easy ride for me.
    I came about mid-pack in the three peaks this year with absolutely zero training. All I did was put a knobbly tyre on the back of my bike and took the lights off.

I could easily make myself fitter but simply can’t be bothered. Enjoy food and drink too much. Some weekends I do absolutely f all exercise.
    I remember in the past I would do a 70-80 mile sunday ride, then take my son out for another 20-30 miles, then go the velodrome for two hours. Tough cookie back then but did nothing with it.

I’ve absolutely no intention of changing things now.

Losidan
    Free Member

I think I would come under the Chubby checker/slightly but not very fit category if there was one.

Fastest 10 mile TT this year (1st season)was 24:30 which given it was on the m62, i mean v718 isnt quick.

What am I doing? Riding my bikes more and running on the moors more and trying to lose weight. That’s it.

It’s taken me weeks of detailed analysis and thought to come up with this indepth intricate plan.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I am not a gifted athlete, but I reckon I am not far off as fit as I am going to get. To keep me motivated I am just looking to try different things. I have been mainly road riding/tting, but am starting running and returning to a bit more tame mtb stuff. I will start swimming again when I lose interest in timetrials.
    I saw the other day I have >600 hours activities logged this year so far and over 10,000 miles.

Losidan
    Free Member

@iamconfusedagain
    Are you actually finding you are losing interest in TT’s? I have only done one season and as much I have enjoyed it I find I am already losing interest. Especially now I am back on the MTB.

geologist
    Free Member

12 years ago was running 2:35 marathon, and was 3 stone lighter than I am now. Injury put pay to that. Im now swimming 12 to 15 miles a week with an easy bumbling pace of 7 minutes per 400m. So in swimming terms not far off my former running standard. But I feel no where near as fit.
    At the moment riding the mtb 1 to 2 times a week too.

emsz
    Free Member

Pretty happy actually. I’m aiming for 3.5 marathon next year ( maybe) and maybe I haven’t got the definition I had when I was ODing on gymnastics, but I’ve not got fat bits anywhere!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Broke my back on Sept 1st. Just started work – doing the physio and walking for exercise. Having a first go on my road bike at the weekend, see how it goes…

Yak

Variable. Mostly riding twice a week and compete in the odd race/event and come mid-pack-ish – sometimes better. I have a habit of re-occurring bouts of CF/ME which tend to keep me off the bike for a while, then I recover with gentle graded exercise until i’m back to where i was.

I’m good again right now so might look at some of the Brass Monkey series this winter as i really enjoy races at around 4hrs in length.

I have just started climbing again too. Used to on-sight around F7a and trad up to about E4 up to around 2004, so it would be nice to get something of that back again. Just pulling on plastic now so need to get out to the crag to see where i’m at.

So, probably not too bad for a regular person, but some way off a regular cyclist. The key for me is to keep fittish, not to knacker myself which sets me back months and to keep entering races/events which force me to prepare properly and measure progress in a fun way.

Also like beer, wine, cheese, etc a little too much. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

The past few months I feel the fittest I’ve ever been. Joined a gym in July and do a full body work out Tuesday/Thursday, ride 20 miles each way to work Monday/Wednesday Friday and also ride at the weekend so do a minimum of 150 miles a week.

Up until I joined the gym I was riding to work 3-5 days a week, and cutting it down to 3 with a rest day from riding has definitely made a difference. I’ve learned its not just about the miles.

Weight 68kg, age 46 and feel great.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Not very

Just had a bacon sandwich

woody2000

I’ve no idea really. As others have said, fit enough to be able to do anything that I want to do bike-wise and to be honest, that’s all I want to do. I have entered a few events and not finished last or been the slowest, so that’s good enough for me. Riding is my only “real” exercise, aside from occasional walks/runs and very occasional swim.

I do eat and drink too much though, I suspect with a little self control and a bit of weight loss I could actually be quite a bit faster/fitter, but I don’t think that’s going to happen! 🙂

campkoala
    Free Member

Just polishing off my second bacon roll so I must be twice as fit as you

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just polishing off my second bacon roll so I must be twice as fit as you

Chapeau, sir

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

95kg but fit enough, which is annoying as ive not the motivation to get down to say 78kg. I’ve got the power/weight that makes its ok uphills etc so I dont see a challenge in doing 100 miles or similar so theres no target to aim at!

Decided I want to get back into sailing where the power wont be so much use so anything over 78kg is dead weight. That should hopefully provide some winter motivation.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Fit enough to finish the hardest MTB race in the World 21st out of 120 in July 😉 8 of the hardest days of my life! Fit enough to get an Expert MTB license last year and a Cat 2 road this year without much effort or many races and fit enough to go out and run 5 miles at 7min/mile pace without trying (I dislike running a lot)
    So at 35 6ft 1 and 90kgs fairly fit.

What am I doing about it? Excepting my ex-rugby playing physique will never go away and starting to broaden my activities away from just cycling, maybe Crossfit through the winter.

campkoala
    Free Member

I assume we’re talking sloely about cycling fitness here?
    Even so, I’m not really sure how to quantify fitness. I do know my strengths and weaknesses though.
    I probably ride between 10 and 20hrs per week (I have a lot less free time every second week) and this last year have spent a lot more time on the road bike to improve stamina for longer mtb rides, I’m at the point now where 80 miles on the road bike in the evening after a days work with no fuel is easy, and the only challenging thing about completing a century is coping with boredom at the slightly reduced pace required.
    On the mtb my strengths have always been core strength and sprinting, being a well above average descender and jumper with increased endurance fitness I’m now able to enjoy longer rides much more.
    Ideally I’d like to improve my climbing and take sprinting to another level but this would mean losing a couple of stone and a much more interval based training plan.
    Don’t really know why but I just find it incredibly hard to give it my all when doing intervals, I don’t sleep enough and am never fully rested is my guess. and I like food and drink far too much to get down and stay at a proper climbers weight.

So, am I fit? Dunno is still my answer.

BadlyWiredDog

Fitter than some, not as fit as others. Mostly though just enjoying riding my bike. What am I doing about it? I plan to go on enjoying riding my bike.

soobalias
    Free Member

i just had a pork pie for elevenses

and its only half ten.

campkoala
    Free Member

What’s the hardest mtb race in the world? 😯

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

What’s the hardest mtb race in the world!

I guess Trans Rockies, although the Cape Epic, and Conquistadors would be up there as well

campkoala
    Free Member

Never heard of them, will Google. Thanks

brakes
    Free Member

campkoala:

So, am I fit? Dunno is still my answer.

from your post, you sound fit.
    is that what you wanted to hear?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

This thread has been a good kick up the backside for me. Two years ago I stopped doing triathlons and ultra marathons and was keen to try AR as something different. Hence the interest in being a better MTBer. But the last twelve months have been pretty dire for various reasons so the fitness has dropped off, the weight gone on and only one MTB race to show for it. Endurance is still ok (4 hr rides no problem) but speed and strength gone and rhaps more importantly my flexibility.

So thanks for the nudge. First target weight and flexibility to Xmas and then up the speed work and intensity in the new year. A 6m 400m swim would be nice too! Time to get some events in the diary then there is no excuse!!!

campkoala
    Free Member

Maybe I’ve missed something but 30-50km a day? For 1 week? In summer? Sounds a piece of pics to complete, well done tho.

Aren’t those mental snow races far harder?

campkoala
    Free Member

Thanks brakes, I’m still unconvinced myself tho

coopersport1
    Free Member

campkoala – Member

What’s the hardest mtb race in the world?

Posted 15 minutes ago # Report-Post

The Swedish Chef – Member

What’s the hardest mtb race in the world!

I guess Trans Rockies, although the Cape Epic, and Conquistadors would be up there as well

Ironbike in Italy people from all over the globe who have raced every other big MTB stage race agree, it is the hardest. 390 miles over 8 days in the Alps, 32000m of climbing (More than the TdF does in 3weeks with rest days!

_tom_
    Free Member

I would say I’m above average for a mountain biker but below average for a roadie. This is based on the fact that when I ride at a trail centre or something I usually end up overtaking a lot of people up hill, but if I ride with others on the road I struggle to keep up. My road average is only about 16-17mph (or lower if there’s a head wind) and I don’t really know what to do to improve it – any suggestions? Give me some good websites to have a read through 🙂

I do a bit of running but haven’t for ages and I’m not very good at it. Can only run for about 15-20 mins non-stop before I feel like I’m going to die. Not that bothered tbh as I don’t really enjoy running.

I try to lift weights 3-4x a week. One of these is a 5×5 session of squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press, the rest are dumbell exercises. Finally starting to see some progress on this, more definition in my arms and my legs are getting ripped 😀 When I get my own house I’ll get a rack for the shed so I can do the proper 3x a week stronglifts programme 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘How fit are you – and what are you doing about it?’ is closed to new replies.