Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • How fast can you ride through corners on a roadbike without falling off?
  • whitestone
    Free Member

The OP is Geex with a new login and I claim my £5 (or 5 Watts as I could do with them)

yohandsome
    Free Member

Garmin is from the 4iii crank based powermeter (if anything they are a bit low as my left leg is weaker). I don’t think they’re that high, high is >2000 watts peak and 1000 watts 1 minute for someone my weight.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Is Yohandsome the new DavidTaylforth? Smells like trolling to me!
    🙄😉

whitestone
    Free Member

The OP has asked something similar in the past. I seem to remember him asking about getting a KOM back on a bridge.

Here we go – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/too-fast-for-strava-please-explain-why-this-activity-should-not-be-flagged/ and if you look at the top ten for the segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/17299911) then he put out 728W for just under 30s.

When you look at his ride history he does seem fixated on certain routes and segments.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I have since gotten stronker 💪

molgrips
    Free Member

You hit a wall on the side of the road (or worse, slide into an armco support leg) at 55km/h and you’ll be seriously hurting. Pads or no pads.

I got the impression the corner in question is on a flat purpose built track so is likely to have no obstacles to hit.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I got the impression the corner in question is on a flat purpose built track so is likely to have no obstacles to hit.

Yes, it’s in a field, worst you’ll hit is some shrubbery or rollerblading berliners (jk wouldnt do it when there are other ppl on track).

ianpv
    Free Member

11.36 w/kg for one minute is absolutely world class – well done! It doesn’t seem to match up well with < 3.5W/kg FTP though?

This is interesting:

https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2018/06/how-does-your-cycling-power-output-compare

puts you in about the 99.9 percentile I think.

mogrim

Ah, fair enough! In that case I still think it’ll hurt, but not as much 🙂

yohandsome
    Free Member

11.36 w/kg for one minute is absolutely world class

Wait what, even with the (prob not fully transferable) fanbike result of 904w / 88 kg = 10.27 w/kg tops. It’ll take a second to get to avg 1000 w in 1 minute..

Track sprinters often have abysmal FTPs and optimize for around 1 minute efforts (the kilo)

endoverend

For all we know Yohandsome could be this guy…he doesn’t skip leg day.

forsterman

kerley
    Free Member

Track sprinters often have abysmal FTPs and optimize for around 1 minute efforts (the kilo)

Which is why I suggested getting yourself to a track for some proper competition rather than pissing about on little Strava segments.

oldnpastit

Just try it and report back. Even if you fail miserably (but heroically!) it will still be interesting.

slowoldman

I don’t think they’re that high, high is >2000 watts peak and 1000 watts 1 minute for someone my weight.

Don’t put yourself down like that. They are high, so you’re clearly at international pro level. Well done.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Don’t put yourself down like that. They are high, so you’re clearly at international pro level. Well done.

Thanks, but to be at international pro level you also need a high FTP for a road cyclist or higher numbers for a track sprinter.

cookeaa

and I’m aero enough without TT bars (CdA calculated to 0.25 in a skin suit

I’d have to question teh aeroz too, I know you’re on an aero bike and in a skin suit but if you’re heaving on the bars to generate those watts and potentially throwing yourself about through corners you’ll struggle to maintain such a slippery shape on the bike surely… Maybe if you were using clip-ons?

I say just have a go and report back. Your KOM hunting is sort of intriguing, did you ever score that bridge segment?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Thanks, but to be at international pro level you also need a high FTP for a road cyclist or higher numbers for a track sprinter.

Sign up free to https://power-meter.cc/home and let it look at your power data, it will tell you which of four profiles you are, among other stats.

It has me down a TTer, which as much as I’m hardly world class, I tend to do a lot better in Zwift TT events than races.

slowoldman

Pursuit it is then.

yohandsome
    Free Member

I’d have to question teh aeroz too, I know you’re on an aero bike and in a skin suit but if you’re heaving on the bars to generate those watts and potentially throwing yourself about through corners you’ll struggle to maintain such a slippery shape on the bike surely… Maybe if you were using clip-ons?

I say just have a go and report back. Your KOM hunting is sort of intriguing, did you ever score that bridge segment?

The way to do it is to sprint (standing) up to your target speed, then for 1 min or longer segments hit the segment at that speed hunkering down in an aero drops or even hoods position depending on your mobility (drops with back straight is marginally faster but a lot less comfy and it can be hard to put the power down).

Yeah I did get the bridge and other segments around here, I’ll go Berlin’s most contested climb soon Teufelsberg – 7% and just a bit longer than 1 min which isn’t ideal for my BW but will be a fun challenge.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at: thanks, think it’s fairly clear I’m closest to a track sprinter like slowoldman suggests.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘How fast can you ride through corners on a roadbike without falling off?’ is closed to new replies.