Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • How fast are Rubber Queens
  • roughneck
    Free Member

Thinking of some new tyres for spring, Not to wide, 2.2 ish, fast rolling. had MK’s but the side walls were sh@t.

househusband

I’ve just fitted the 2.2 UST version but have only been out once. Being UST, the sidewalls should (I hope!) be fairly robust. Shame that the UST version doesn’t have the ‘Black Chilli’ compound that MK users rave about. They are reasonably narrower than the 2.25″ Schwalbe Alberts before them – way narrower than the 0.05″ numeric difference would suggest! They are, I think, quite a tall tyre and I had problems with the back of my Motolite getting clogged with leaves and twigs. Initial impression is that they do roll faster than the Alberts.

enfht
    Free Member

Isn’t this post meant for a Gaydar forum?

househusband

Isn’t this post meant for a Gaydar forum?

I know… the name is rather unfortunate!

knott4me
    Free Member

they are very fast !

roughneck
    Free Member

Where is the cheapest place to get them

househusband

Got mine from Wiggle through judicious use of vouchers that I’d ‘acquired’.

enfht
    Free Member

I heard they’re cheap after 10pm around Seven Sisters tube station

househusband

You seem to know an awful lot about non-tyre ‘Rubber Queens’, enfht… something you’d care to tell us? ❗

enfht
    Free Member

aw shucks I’ve been caught out AGAIN !!! 😳

househusband

LOL!

Not so much getting caught out – more throwing yourself out of the closet!

enfht
    Free Member

selling your bum for bike bits, it’s a sad consequence of the credit crunch

househusband

Just for you, enfht!

(You may be too young to remember this…)

iamtheresurrection

My UST 2.2s are Black Chilli…

househusband

My UST 2.2s are Black Chilli…

I’d like to see photographic evidence of that! I asked Conti UK if the UST versions of the MK and RQ had the Black Chilli compound, and the answer was a definate ‘no’. The Black Chilli tyres are made in Germany, the UST tyres are made in Taiwan.

mc2
    Free Member

I have the 2.4 UST’s and they are huge compared to the 2.4 Mountain Kings they replaced. I could see there being clearance problems on many bikes but ok on my Spicy.

Rode through some deep clay mud last weekend and ended up feeling like I was riding a tractor.

Just ordered a set of 2.2’s as I feel the 2.4’s are too big for trail use.

enfht
    Free Member

Why’s my Dad on YouTube?

iamtheresurrection

From the Conti website:

Rubber Queen 2.2/UST

Rubber Queen 2.2 is more petite. But don’t be deceived, the little sister is just as cunning as it’s big sister. Wild Trails and Killer loops, Alp-crossing, as long as the partying continues! Touring suitability is ensured by a voluminous and light structured carcase. “Well-made in Germany” the Rubber Queen 2.2 shines with the allround Black Chili compound. Grips superbly with an unexpectedly low-rolling resistance. With the tyre available in basic wire and folding formats with no extras like apex, black chilli or german manufacture, it is a tyre for all price ranges!

Rubber Queen: 3 plies / total 180

It’s not obvious from the website, I agree. The UST is a Taiwan tyre which goes against what you (and I)O thought too. I thought the logo on my tyre below, was the Black Chilli logo – what do you reckon?

househusband

*heads out to garage to check*

mc2
    Free Member

Wish I hadn’t binned the packaging for mine now!!

iamtheresurrection

Nowt on the packaging mate – I’m looking at a box now off one I had delivered yesterday…

househusband

Hmmm… interesting! I asked Conti UK (Cambrian Tyres) last year about whether or not the UST MK’s had the Black Chilli and the reply was “They don’t have black chilli rubber on them, they do however have another very good softer rubber compound on them which grips very well in the wet!”

Also, I note that the Conti website also says Black Chili is only made at our factory in Korbach, Germany. No other tyre facility in the world has access to its secrets.

Well spotted, IATR; and I’m glad you realised I wasn’t being argumentative – just curious!

iamtheresurrection

Argumentative? On STW? Is anybody ever argumentative on here? 😉

I have to say I’m still not 100%, but that is the BC logo, isn’t it? Or is it just for decoration, in the same way Vert Pro’s aren’t made from spider’s webs?

househusband

I’ve just downloaded the Conti 2009 Catalog from the website and p33 would appear to state that the 2.4 UST is ‘Handmade in Germany’ and has the BC; whereas the 2.2 UST isn’t – and hasn’t.

Maybe the BC logo is something more along the lines of this?

mc2
    Free Member

I’m sure the packing for my 2.4 UST’s did have the BC logo on it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The pic that iatr posted looks like a crown.

iamtheresurrection

AARRGGHH!

I just don’t know – to my eyes it looks like a chilli in the tread! I’m emailing Conti now, see what they say.

I do suspect it isn’t BC though, after reading the same catalogue you’ve just downloaded. Like you, I was always lead to believe the only tires with it came from Germany, but that little logo…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Seriously rotate the pic 90 deg anti-clockwise and post it again. Its a crown.

iamtheresurrection

Or a tea cosy.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yep its the new Conti tea cosy.

knott4me
    Free Member

i can get some 2.2 & 2.4 rubber queens in wire bead non chilli compound £15.00 posted each pm simon@nmauk.com

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think it looks like an ape with long arms, short legs and a big willy.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Definitely a crown.

roughneck
    Free Member

Are they as fast as MK’s

iamtheresurrection

Hello all.

Reply today from Cambrian, spelling errors not mine! 😉

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the email! Only tyres made in Germany have black Chilli, your don’t, but still have a sorter than standard compound!

Regards

So, no Black Chili outside of Germany confirmed. Regardless, I still like the tires, just think the 2.4 may now a better tire from a longevity perspective…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘How fast are Rubber Queens’ is closed to new replies.