Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • How far and how often do you drive to ride?
  • rOcKeTdOg

i’ve not driven with the bike on the back of the car since October last year and have just been riding locally, the Swinley ride will be the first since then, how far and how often do you use the car before a ride?

looking at some of my flickr contacts who ride all over the place and knowing where they start from they must spend moretime in the car than on the trails, it baulks a bit that i could drive for 2.5hrs to do a 2 hr ride

clubber
    Free Member

Next to never though partly because it adds so much time to the riding. Only for events really. Though having said all that I did drive to the velodrome last week.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Half my local rides start with a car journey (those that don’t mean 3+ people driving to me). Plus races, weekends, epic 3-dayers etc.

At least 2-3000 miles/year I guess, possibly quite a bit more. About 1/2 of my yearly mileage (I work from home).

ton

i have driven as far as glentress to ride.
    leeds to glentress and back in the same day, with a 5 hour ride in the middle.

anjs
    Free Member

Can ride to Swinley in 10 minutes from my front door.

TheSwede
    Free Member

The price of fuel , the way my car seems to be spitting out fuel on to the road and the little bit of effort involved in loading up kit and bike really is putting me off riding anywhere lately other than locally from my door.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Havent driven to ride somewhere for quite a while. I think it was about 800 odd miles last August, although it was to ride in France for a couple of weeks so well justified!

Thankfully I live within riding distance of grizedale so if I fancy a mtb ride I just go there.

lucien

With fuel at £1.30+ per gallon, and rising, I can’t quite get my head around driving somewhere for a 2-3 hour ride.

Different if you are going for whole day or weekend to trail centre or something, but that’s few and far between these days

mrmo
    Free Member

tomorrow i plan to drive somewhere for a ride, but haven’t in months, maybe a year? I am only driving somewhere as i need to give the engine a thrash as it failed its MOT on emmisions…

hilldodger
    Free Member

Never! no car (but do use trains)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Have a minimum of an hours drive each way to ride off road.

Quite often do London-> Chicksands/Aston Hill ->Peaks-> London over the course of a weekend. ~400 miles all in.

Yes the price of fuel is biting (night riding got canned a while back). But the whole point of working is to be able to ride my bike in cool places. That involves travelling. Even if I had an awesome trail network on my doorstep, I still think I’d get bored and want to travel to different places. We are trying to move oop norf, but nobody wants to buy our flat.

Rides are almost always full day though. Bare minimum of 4 hours, and often 6+

snaps
    Free Member

Depends what I feel like really, loads of good rides from the door but if I want to drive, Exmoor is only 20 mins, Dartmoor 40 mins & Quantocks 50mins.
    I guess 200 miles driving a month to get to rides.

4ndyB
    Free Member

£30 in fuel to have an awesome (™surfmat) day out on the bike with loads of other bikers exploring a new location is bloody good value IMO

compared to say 2 hours in the cinema for £7, you can piss £30 up the wall in a couple of hours on a night out too!

ton

orangista+1

Kahurangi

Currently I’m driving an average 30 mins each way 1 or 2 times a week for my riding.

I’ll drive to Kielder or Hamsterley (approx 60 mins) say, once a month.

Come the summer and a house move I hope to have that back down to zero.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

most ive driven to ride is 1300 miles to belgium, to race.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I used to think nothing of driving from Fife to Glencoe or the Cairngorms. Last couple of years I’ve spent riding and finding more local trails. I wouldnt drive to a trail centre again. Fuel is £1.40/litre here now. I’d rather ride than drive.

Mackem

Today, drove a total of 3.5 hours for a 4 hour ride. Usually I just ride from the door, but fancied a change today.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I have two kids so bike time is precious and can’t afford not to drive – the ride to and from adds too much time. I went to Woburn today – 20 minutes away by car. I can detour on way home from work via Woburn so try to do a couple of night rides a week, then one longer at the weekend. I used to live in Hertfordshire and could do a nice 12 mile XC loop from my door with almost no road in it at all. I miss that, I must admit…

forge197
    Free Member

Generally up to 1hr 20 nearest trail is 12minutes away, I always drive to the ride location.

Agree with orangista view point

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldnt drive to a trail centre again

A bold claim, big Fella!, I’ll hold you to that! 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m about 80 minutes from Mabie, Kirro, Ae and Dalbeattie, 50 mins from Drumlanrig, and about 2 hrs from GT and Inners. I tend to ride the trail centres in the winter, or when the guys from my club are having a day there, otherwise, my nightrides are usually about 15-20 mins drive.

I can live with this, as I live in a nice town with good amenities, but there is no call for my type of work in a rural area (where the best riding is).

It’s a trade off.

I also weigh it up against a football ticket, or golf. Some of my mates pay upwards of £750 a year in golf membership, and will pay prob about the same in kit a year, say 250 for a new driver, and 40 odd quid for a dozen Prov1 balls.

I tend to agree with Orangista, I don’t want to ride the same places all the time. I start the year with a huge list of rides that I want to do that year, and generally aim to do about a quarter of them!.

psychojoy
    Free Member

I live in Portsmouth and there is f*ck all round here. Normally drive to one of QECP (20 mins), Swinley (80 mins) or Surrey Hills (60 mins).

I’d love to be able to ride from my door – does anyone know of many decent places to ride in Portsmouth/Chichester/Southampton way?

Basil

Perspective time.
    I live in N E Lincolnshire
    After a few years of driving to gradient I started to feel stupid driving to ride my bike.
    Compermise was to fill the car with people when we drive somewhere to ride a bike.
    Moral: count yer blessings.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The only local trails I have is Delamere, so drive to pretty much every ride..

Happily I’ve a company car & fuel card for all my travel, so it’s not really an issue to drive to places to ride. 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I drive every time i go MTB’ing, about 30 minutes each way, but then i cycle to work every day in the week. Think i fill the car up once a month, if that.

Doing a 350 mile round trip to a wales next month, but its for 3 days riding and costs are split between two so its pretty cheap considering.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve got 368 square miles of granite upland just outside my back gate..

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I can be on singletrack in less than 3 minutes 😀

but often mid week bike goes on rack for night rides with mates from different areas.

Travel usually 30mins each way sometimes more.

It’s great having so much on the back door – priceless

Basil

I wish my back door was priceless

valleydaddy
    Free Member

post a pic basil and I’ll value it for you 😉

Basil

Is there a starfish spotters club here?

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I like to have a little apple based refreshment whilst on the ride, so hardly ever drive!

However, a mate is picking me up tomorrow to go for a ride that involves some free cider drinking 😀

valleydaddy
    Free Member

OMG Basil what have you started???

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Typically 15-20 mins. Fuel cost and time faff has put me off driving more than 1:30 for a day’s ride. That eliminates South Wales, but still includes Mendip, Qs and the nearer parts of Exmoor.

Basil

An hour and a half get’s us to Sherwood Pines

njee20
    Free Member

Surely with the distance covered in 15-20 minutes by car, unless you’re on the motorway, it’s as quick to ride out?! I very rarely drive to ride, but I have the Surrey hills on my doorstep. Only drive for social rides, never go anywhere else If I’m on my tod!

Racing however, takes me thousands of miles a year!

D0NK

did 20ish “away” rides last year, normally peaks or lakes so either 60ish or 180ish round trip, the odd trip to wales/scotland. Almost always spend more time riding than driving tho. That’s all normally between march and september, autumn and winter it’s pretty much all ride from my door. maybe drive to the nightride meet if it’s been a hard week.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Racing however, takes me thousands of miles a year!

Me too!

I live in America though, so fuel is a lot cheaper. I have fantastic singletrack from my door, so I hardly ever drive mid week. Weekends the drive varies from 30 minutes, to 7 or 8 hours, depending on which part of Colorado/Utah we’re travelling to.

This year so far:
    Old Pueblo (Arizona): 2000 miles
    2 x Desert trip (utah): 2000 miles

I will be racing almost all of the national series over here this year so still to come:

2 x California : 2000 miles each.
    Texas : 1500 miles
    Wisconsin: 2000 miles
    Montana: 1000 miles

Plus countless 1000’s of miles in and around Colorado.

When it comes to racing, Mountain bikes are not cheap or environmentally friendly!

GW
    Free Member

used to drive around 8000miles a year just to go riding/racing.
    Haven’t driven anywhere to ride yet this year.

Northwind

About half my rides involve a drive I reckon, mostly under 50 miles but occasionally a wee bit further to get down Dumfries-ways, and less often quite a bit further for fort william etc or wales. I try to make it a rule to not drive for longer than I ride mind.

I’ve only got a car for cycling use so it’d be a shame not to use it 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘How far and how often do you drive to ride?’ is closed to new replies.