Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • How fancy are your wine glasses?
  • Clobber
    Free Member

i use my highland park whisky glasses for red wine, white wine, whisky, beer, port etc.

I’m in your camp I definitely wouldn’t be using them for highland park either

T1000
    Free Member
    epicsteve
    Free Member

We’ve got crystal glasses but rarely use them – every day stuff is from Ikea.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I save on the washing up and drink wine straight from the bottle. 😉

frogstomp

Got fed up with breaking ‘stem’ type wine glasses (it was the cat, honest! 😉 ) so treated myself to some Riedel ‘O’ glasses.. yet to break one (and the wine doesn’t hang around long enough for the lack of stem to be a drawback!).

peepingtom
    Free Member

I deliberately smash the wife’s wine glasses , bloody nightmare for putting in the dishwasher .

tthew

After one too many, (one) red wine/pale carpet interfaces, I’m relegated to Nutella glasses too. Too good at smashing them to buy expensive stuff.

I plan to buy cheap, one off glasses from antique/junk shops in future. They’ll be a bit nicer than average, but all non matching, as all the supermarket specials we have now are anyway.

kayla1
    Free Member

what?

butcher

Mine are £1.50 for a set of 4 in Tesco. They’re pretty good glasses to be fair. The perfect size, and durable.

singlespeedstu

Fancy glasses ppppfffttt.
    Sweet jars and tea cups is where it’s at.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pTKshr]The Pub Ran Out Of Glasses.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

igm

Tescos Paris goblets. 5 glasses to the bottle means I don’t pour a full bottle into two glasses then open the next bottle for our second glass. One glass of wine is wrong and oversized glasses are too much of a temptation.

binners

Our kid got me 4 really nice, very expensive wine glasses for Christmas. It’s mid February and there is one left intact. Giving me nice stuff is literally like handing it to a monkey. I think I smashed the first one the first time I used them.

Cheap Ikea/Tesco/whatever ones here. I draw the line at plastic, but it’d probably make more sense. Or maybe just the bottle and a straw?

slowoldman

I like very plain glasses for wine and beer.

HansRey

I’ve got a few pint glasses from IKEA and six jura whiskey glasses to my name.

But, my gf has had iittala glasses, pots, pans, plates, etc bought for her every birthday and christmas. She has quite a collection and some sell for very good money. The wine glasses look lovely, but they’re all daft shapes (too small) and I never use them. If only my nose wasn’t so big…

Jason
    Free Member

Our wine and beer glasses are mainly made by Spiegelau. Thin glass but seem fairly durable, we have only broken a few of them. The beer glasses make any beer taste better.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

These chaps;

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/264516887/pair-of-dartington-the-compleat-imbiber

Hold a decent mouthfull, or half a pint.
    My old man hit a winning streak at gilf in the late 70s and these tended to be the prize. We have dozens.
    Very nice glasses too!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Wine glasses? What’s wrong with tunblers? They don’t need refilling so often.

edhornby

tthew – stemless wine glasses from ikea (downside is you have to go to ikea)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50258323/

you don’t have to have expensive riedel jobbies (£25 quid for the riedel equivalent ???!!!), but at least something that has a bowl shape, just don’t fill the wine past the widest part of the glass then you get some aroma which makes even crap wine a bit better

Cougar

We’ve got crystal glasses but rarely use them – every day stuff is from Ikea.

I never understood why you’d buy nice things and use crap. Mate of mine has a Rolex(*) he keeps in a drawer, if it were me I’d have it surgically grafted to my wrist.

(* – it might be some other stupidly expensive watch, I don’t know, I’ve seen it twice in the ~15 years since he bought it)

Xylene
    Free Member

2 pages on wine glasses. Oh my.

Safe to say drinking from posh wine glasses still causes hangovers. All i need to do now is remember to pack them away before MrsQ does turns the washing machine on and they walk themselves off the edge of the sync.

jools182
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

Waterford crystal when offering guests a glass (except MTBers who are generally clumsy oafs and wouldn’t appreciate the quality, or brand me a snob if they did), Duralex or second-hand French classics from brocantes when serving myself.

bones
    Free Member

Prefer heavy whisky tumblers, lower centre of gravity (I’m clumsy) .
    dangeourbrain, I also like handles.
    Clobber, you don’t like Highland Park?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ Highland park is ok.

Had to finish off a bottle of Monkey Shoulder last night, not so good.

Bregante

Our every day glasses are usually as cheap as possible because we break them so often but we do have a set that are brought out for special occasions. They’re japanese “Kagami Crystal” that she was given when she went to Kyoto for her best friends wedding years ago and her friends new husband works there.

I’ve no idea what they’re worth but she was told to take very good care of them. This caused her no end of stress as she backpacked her way round Japan before coming home.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Here is one of mine. Does anyone know anything about these things and can tell me anything about them?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DLbMz6]2016-02-20_07-07-48[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

scuzz
    Free Member

timmys

Whatever the Reidels are that are that are about £40 a pair in Bordeaux shape I think. I bung em in the dishwasher and probably end up breaking a couple a year but a £40 a year decent wine glass tax is worth it for the pleasure they bring.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘How fancy are your wine glasses?’ is closed to new replies.