Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • How easy could you buy a hand gun today?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not really, the only legitimate use for a handgun when hunting is for bear defence – and you wouldn’t use a 9mm for that – something like a .44 mag revolver.

There aren’t many grizzly bears in Spain 😛

jimjam
    Free Member

A buddy of mine is in a gun club. He’s got a couple of semi-auto rifles and a pump action shotgun and often discusses buying handguns. Apparently the guys down at his club have all sorts of hand gun exotica.

somouk
    Free Member

Not really, the only legitimate use for a handgun when hunting is for bear defence – and you wouldn’t use a 9mm for that – something like a .44 mag revolver.

You use a pistol for animal dispatch as well which is where a large caliber revolver comes in to play.

I know a few who have pistols for animal dispatch but I doubt they would be willing to lose their livelihood to lend it me.

I’ve grown up in a rough area and still live close too it and while guns are knocking around and there have been shootings getting hold of one for someone outside of the gangs would be pretty hard to do.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Modern handgun? No idea.
    Deactivated historical weapons very easily as I still know a lot of folks who re-enact various periods of history.
    I can quite easily get my hands on an entire battery of working cannon though!

natrix
    Free Member

Used to be able to get ammo from a nearby military ammunition store.

It was all fenced off etc, but there was an amnesty box near the front gate for folk to drop off any illegally held ammunition, explosives etc. Just turn up when nobody was around (most of the time) and have a rummage in the box for anything interesting 😯

They probably figured what was happening and the box has gone now 🙁

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t think it’ll ever be ‘easy’ in the UK, you can buy all manner of illegal drugs with relative ease these days, I’m told in London dealers hand out business cards and will deliver.

I do actually know someone who owned an illegal handgun in the past and possibly still has it buried somewhere, although I don’t know him well enough to ask to ‘lend’ it, he was joking with another guy about having to drive to the north of England to buy it and a few weeks later the guy who sold it to him phoning him up to ask if he wanted to buy an Uzi. I guess this would have been about 2003, so I hope for everyone’s sake he’s thrown it in the sea by now.

Other than that it wouldn’t be too hard to drive into mainland Europe and find someone who’d sell you one, I’d probably try Bulgaria given the amount of blacked-out G Wagons I saw milling about and the obviously armed geezers in them you see away from the tourist bits and cites. Providing you didn’t get murdered trying to buy one most of the borders between countries are open until you reach Dover and well, I’ve been stopped once in 30 years of taking the ferry to France and back.

Or you could make one, I believe it’s still possible to buy starter pistols and replica blank firing pistols online, they take a non-standard sized ’round’ but it’s not too hard to replace the restricted barrel for a bit of plumbers pipe and you make the bullets by cutting the head off the blank and pouring in molten lead (carefully I imagine) – it won’t drop a buffalo at 300m but it’s a lethal weapon a point blank range.

g5604
    Free Member

This thread is a good example why gun control does work – yes some “bad guys” will be able to get their hands on a gun regardless (although unlikely to be a semi-automatic rifle ), but your typical loner whacked out on prescription drugs has very little chance of getting a battery of arms & armour in the uk

somouk
    Free Member

Or you could make one, I believe it’s still possible to buy starter pistols and replica blank firing pistols online, they take a non-standard sized ’round’ but it’s not too hard to replace the restricted barrel for a bit of plumbers pipe and you make the bullets by cutting the head off the blank and pouring in molten lead (carefully I imagine) – it won’t drop a buffalo at 300m but it’s a lethal weapon a point blank range.

That’s what the fella had done on 24 hours in police custody the other week and they tested it against some gel and it worked. Fired well enough to seriously injure someone at point blank range.

Daffy

I’d just 3D print one. Ammo might be more of a challenge.

plyphon
    Free Member

1: Join gun club

2: Get licensee

3: Go to a hunting/shooting shop

4: Ask “for the good stuff”

dannyh
    Free Member

“You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don’t wanna know about it, believe me”.

nowthen
    Free Member

Have one on me right now*

*Don’t live in UK

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXjnb55aAwM[/video]

P-Jay
    Free Member

somouk – Member

That’s what the fella had done on 24 hours in police custody the other week and they tested it against some gel and it worked. Fired well enough to seriously injure someone at point blank range.

Yeah that’s where I saw it. Horrible peice of work he was, he should have got more than 5 years.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i grew up on a council estate

So did I. There was some dog shit about, but no guns as far as I know.

So did I, I also worked for a firearms dealer. This was back in the day of white dog turds and Elton John was married to Kiki Dee though.

You have to ask why would you want to buy an illegal underground firearm? You have failed as a member of society and risk a fairly long stretch for possession even if it’s kept under a mattress.

natrix
    Free Member

still possible to buy starter pistols and replica blank firing pistols online, they take a non-standard sized ’round’ but it’s not too hard to replace the restricted barrel for a bit of plumbers pipe and you make the bullets by cutting the head off the blank and pouring in molten lead (carefully I imagine) – it won’t drop a buffalo at 300m but it’s a lethal weapon a point blank range.

I’ve just googled that and am surprised at what you can buy!! 😯

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, I don’t think its any secret that you can walk into a dealer and buy a fully functioning pistol under the s58 antique firearms exemption without a certificate or anything tomorrow, only complexity is that they are
    i) bloody expensive
    ii)difficult to get ammo for

As P-Jay says though, It would be far easier to go on a road trip holiday to the balkans with a wad of cash and bring back an entire armoury in the back of the car. While If you were really desperate then it would take about half an hour to knock up a slam fire shotgun in your average bike shop workshop.

yosemitepaul

Yes, you could probably get a handgun if you knew the right people in the right places. But it wouldn’t be ‘clean’ it will almost certainly have a history of ‘dirty’ use.
    There are / were a load of WWI, WWII guns floating around for many years. But as the original holders die off then families are handing them into the Police, sometimes through amnesties just to get rid of them. Keeping granddads old Walther momento in the loft is too much hassle.
    We don’t actually have much of a culture of gun use in the U.K. and through my experience the actual recurring events in The States and the heavy punishment for possession are increasingly putting the general public off storing them.

core

footflaps – Member
    Just pop over the the US and walk into a local Decathlon and buy whatever you like. Dismantle and stick in hold luggage.

Being that a friend opened his case on his return from a family trip to Disneyland Florida to find a piece of A4 from US customs in it, relating to a small kitchen knife they’d bought out there and brought back in hold luggage I’d have thought not.

Was all locked up too.

cubist
    Free Member

I was in Estonia not that long ago at a firing range and they had some for sale in there I think they were Glocks for about €700. Once you have bought it getting it back into the UK would not be too hard as long as you didn’t fly or look a bit of the beardy foreign type chap.

Drac

[video]https://youtu.be/yfSnaY1Wp_U[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

the only legitimate use for a handgun when hunting is for bear defence

Also quickly finishing off animals you’ve wounded.

CountZero

This thread is a good example why gun control does work – yes some “bad guys” will be able to get their hands on a gun regardless (although unlikely to be a semi-automatic rifle ), but your typical loner whacked out on prescription drugs has very little chance of getting a battery of arms & armour in the uk

You only need one.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mp-shot-and-stabbed-in-leeds

footflaps

Being that a friend opened his case on his return from a family trip to Disneyland Florida to find a piece of A4 from US customs in it, relating to a small kitchen knife they’d bought out there and brought back in hold luggage I’d have thought not.

There was a conviction recently for a guy bringing back handguns in luggage from the US (several at a time), but they only caught him on his nth trip after a tip off….

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/05/steven-greenoe-gun-smuggling-trial

mogrim

There aren’t many grizzly bears in Spain

There are brown bears, though. I’m assuming the website I linked to just put all the firearms under “hunting” (caza) due to laziness, rather than any other reason. Certainly Spanish hunters afaik use rifles/shotguns, not Glocks 🙂

MSP

When I was in my late teens and early twenties, in Manchester at the turn of the 90’s I knew lots of people who would claim to be able to get guns, knew people who would know people. Looking back they were bullshitters. The usual claim is that they know the “quality street gang” or know the crew that turned away the Krays at Piccadilly station (an urban myth that I think every major city in the UK has).

In the mid 90’s I was working doors around the Manchester area, and that brought me to the periphery of the gang culture and turf wars of the era (and I made mistakes that gave me a criminal record that still affects my life). At that time I could have probably got a gun, but I think that had I taken that path I would have probably just become a sacrificial lamb, a name that could be thrown in to sweeten the deal of core player who got caught.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Apparently, you can rent them pretty reasonably…..it’s a lot easier than risking going into one of them there flat roofed jobbies with a bikes worth of cash

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My best chances are to visit the closed down US WW2/Coldwar airbase in the woods and go digging. They left trucks and other bits to rot. Might be something lurking around. Probably need to get a metal detector.

Apparently there was an Operation Gladio cache near where I used to live (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Cheddington), so that’s where I’d start.

Failing that I’d nip round to see this chap: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/anti-tank-missile-among-largest-ever-uk-weapons-cache-found-by-police-a6884286.html

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Was all locked up too.

Whenever I go to the US now I never lock my holdall luggage. I don’t want to give them any more excuses to damage my kit.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Plenty of ‘souvenirs’ brought back from the Balkan conflicts and Gulf wars in the hands of ex squaddies. Not sure they’d be too keen to admit it and even less keen to loan out. I’m sure they must be clamping down on it now but it was quite common for a few Tokarevs and the like to be brought out.

badllama
    Free Member

Just to level things off

What people would call a pistol E.G the semi auto pistols or revolvers are in the UK now classed as a Section 5 firearms.
    They were once Section 1 and you could own them with a section 1 firearms license until the Dunblane school massacre I think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

You can now ONLY own and shoot black powder pistols on a Section 1 firearms certificate. And there shit BTW 🙂

The sentencing for being in possession of a section 5 firearm is 10 years. http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/#a14

ninfan
    Free Member

What people would call a pistol E.G the semi auto pistols or revolvers are in the UK now classed as a Section 5 firearms.

Unless they are S7.1, S7.3 or S58 you mean?

globalti
    Free Member

Read this with interest. I don’t think many of the posters on here move in the right circles; I used to have a colleague who, with his father, collected guns. They were from Liverpool and he was definitely a wide boy; would be constantly buying and selling stuff like boats on the web, getting up and dashing out of the office to meet somebody in a car park. He was certainly breaking company IT rules. He moved in those cash-rich big swinging dick Alpha male circles, the kinds of people who had big old farms at the ends of lanes in Cheshire with lots of Range Rovers parked out the back and a very fast boat at Abersoch. I had no doubt at all that he or his Dad would have been able to sort you out something within 24 hours.

Drac

I had no doubt at all that he or his Dad would have been able to sort you out something within 24 hours.

Yeah he sounds a real big player, you convinced me with the IT flaunting.

phinbob

I live in the US, so alarmingly easily. While buying the weekly shop at the supermarket. You can get smaller ones in pink or blue for the youth.

Actually, as a non-citizen it would be harder, but with a small amount of effort I could still legally get an AR-15 or whatever.

I keep meaning to go on a gun safety/basic training course. I’m not planning to get a gun but knowing the basics seems like a good idea around here.

Northwind

Tom_W1987 – Member

Standard wisdom now is bear spray, I think. Pretty good evidence that shooting a bear during an attack increases your risk of injury.

somouk – Member

You use a pistol for animal dispatch as well which is where a large caliber revolver comes in to play.

I’ve never hunted large animals but, why? Surely the main rifle is just as suitable? Or are we talking shotguns rather than rifles?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have a scooby. downloading one of those make yer own manuals would probably be the easiest way. other than than. Probably need to re-associate with a few choice loonballs i grew up with, not somewhere I ever want to be. either that or just ask someone in the pub, sure someone would know someone..

MoreCashThanDash

Pretty sure that a couple of years ago someone local to us got busted for running a business turning deactivated firearms back into proper weapons. They are probably out of prison now, so a quick Google would start me off.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve never hunted large animals but, why? Surely the main rifle is just as suitable? Or are we talking shotguns rather than rifles?

it can be complex.

big heavy slow bullet at close range with an open sight versus ricochet risk with a high powered frangible rifle bullet that is scoped/zeroed for 200 yards so you can’t reliably aim it, though few UK hunters would ever carry a pistol round when stalking, and to be honest, most pistol use is where they are retained for humane dispatch of road injured animals, or farm animals (lots of brick walls, concrete, tarmac etc) or foxes in live catch traps, all of hitch its much safer and more discreet than waving round a shotgun.

RustyNissanPrairie

Pretty sure that a couple of years ago someone local to us got busted for running a business turning deactivated firearms back into proper weapons. They are probably out of prison now, so a quick Google would start me off.

Sounds like you live near me, – the local chip shop/chippy is also known as the gun club for that reason!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘How easy could you buy a hand gun today?’ is closed to new replies.