Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How does this scam work then?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Bruv has just texted to say he received two iPhone 5s from EE this morning. Sent to his name at his address, but not in his EE account number. In fact they are both sent to two different EE account numbers.

He’ll obviously sort out getting EE to take the bits of junk back, but in the meantime what should he be worried about?
    Im guessing some kind of id theft that didnt quite work for the thief? Would they usually hope to intercept the phones before delivery or what?
    Otherwise I cant see why someone would just order them in his name…

Any ideas?

bencooper
    Free Member

Or someone did a mailing list sort and messed it up. If another 3,000 phones arrive, that’s definitely what it is.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I think he can expect a ‘delivery driver’ to attempt to collect them shortly, after explaining an error. Then they are gone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

Most likely an EE cock up. But keep an eye on credit cards and bank account for small “test” purchases just in case.

If he sees anything else, get credit reference reports to see if there has been any searches done that don’t tally.

wwaswas

I got an iPhone from O2 under similar circumstances.

O2 wouldn’t take it back via the post as they couldn’t access the account because I didn’t know the password and they couldn’t issue a returns number without access to the account.

In the end I went to an O2 store and made them take it back and give me a receipt to say they’d had it.

andytherocketeer

2 sounds like a minor double ballsup by the scammers, and the delivery guy failed to double intercept. A single unexpected phone is more normal.

ID theft. Definitely check all credit and bank cards.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers guys. will send thread link to bro.

Muke
    Free Member

A post from another forum …

So I get home from work last night and Mrs AD tells me I have had a package delivered from DHL. However soon after it was delivered someone called to say it was an incorrect delivery and could they pick it up. She tells them they have to talk to me.

I take the package. I am not expecting any deliveries. The address has my name, street, and post code. I am puzzled. I have not ordered anything online lately.

Out of curiosity I open the package. Inside is A BRAND NEW iPHONE 4 and O2 SIM CARD!

I am on Orange with a 3GS and have not ordered an iPhone from O2. About half an hour later the phone rings. Some bloke whose first language is not Englsh purporting to be from DHL tells me that have “had a fax from the sender” and they need to collect the package. I tell them “well – it is correctly addressed and I know what it is – an iPhone”. He sounds a bit rattled but asks if his driver can collect it.

I tell him “call me at 9am and I’ll let you know how long I will be at home”

Something is odd but I haven’t worked it out yet.

I go to work and tell the story of the mysterious iPhone delivery. Quick as a flash a colleague tells me its a scam. I call O2’s fraid department and give them the handset number. They immediately tell me it has been ordered on a contract and a direct debit in my name has been authorised. Fortunately the bank details O2 have do not match any of my own bank accounts. O2 bar the phone and tell me their fraud officers will be in touh

At 8pm the telephone at home goes. A bloke calling himself ‘David’ says he is from DHL. He has what I would call an African accent and wants to know when the driver can collect the package.

I ask him what DHL branch he is calling from. He mumbles something.

I say: “well its like this David. The phone has gone back to O2 and the line has been cancelled I am on to your little scam”

He says “what?” I say “I said I’m on to your little scam. The phone has gone back to O2 and don’t you ever try to use my details to open a bank account again mate”.

The line goes dead.

I have asked Equifax to send me my credit file to see what bank account has been opened against my name.

So,. if any unexpected packages arrive and DHL wants to send someone to collect them – just say ‘no’

Had I given the phone to their “driver” I would be getting phone bills from O2 for the next 18 months and it would be my word against theirs whether I had ever had the phone.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Google ‘mobile phone delivery scam’. Increasingly common. Do not hand the phones over to anybody other than in an EE shop or the police.
    Usually the recipient receives a call acknowledging the error and a fake courier will arrive to collect them. The phone accounts will then be billed to the recipients address.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Someone wilI think he can expect a ‘delivery driver’ to attempt to collect them shortly, after explaining an error. Then they are gone.

This. My mother in Law had something similar. Dodgy neighbours ordering loads of stuff to be delivered to hers and other neighbours houses but either intercepting the parcel by pretending to be the home owner. Or coming round later and saying that a package for them had been delivered to the wrong house by mistake.

They had opened new accounts using her name and address with various online shops, I remember Jacamo and Next were two of them but there were a few others. It was one of the delivery drivers that clocked it as being suspicious and alerted everyone to what was going on.

The hard to understand bit was how easy it was for them to open a false account but how difficult it was for her to close it once the scam was pointed out to the suppliers.

My advice would be to get on to EE and get to the bottom of it quick sharp.

djglover
    Free Member

This happened to the Mrs.

2 vodafone blackberrys with sim arrived in her name. company said they had been paid for by her, but none of her exisiting payment methods had been compromised.

We reported to police and in the end, we sold the phones on ebay and made almost £300.

beanum

Oh dear, I had to Google “EE” to see who you were all talking about.

I’ve been away from the UK too long it would seem… 😳

stumpy01

Well, Vodafone allowed a similar thing on my account but even worse in terms of security.

Some bloke called Vodafone pretending to be me, said he’d (I’d) forgotten ‘his’ (my) PIN and they let him access my account. First thing he did was change my address to his address. Next he changed my contract to a top end tariff with tons of data/mins/texts & ‘free sky sports’. This was about 5/6 years ago now when phone data was expensive. He also upgraded my phone to a top-end (at the time) Blackberry, which they sent to my ‘new’ address.

First thing I knew of it was when the woman from Vodafone called a week after all this had taken place to make sure I was happy with my new phone and tariff. After about 15 mins of arguing that I haven’t changed my phone or tariff, the penny dropped with her that someone had diddled them and had managed to bag themselves a brand new handset. Amazingly, they didn’t keep any historical data of addresses against an account so I had a nightmare proving that I didn’t live in a flat in Birmingham…..
    They then wouldn’t put me back on my old tariff as it wasn’t available anymore and so I couldn’t be put back on it. They added 2 security questions and a second PIN to my account that not one person asked for when trying to get the whole thing resolved and when I finally agreed to keep the tariff I had been put on, but only paying the same amount as I had been on the original tariff so long as they gave me a nice new shiny phone they were only willing to offer my the cheapest Sony Ericsson phone available….so I asked for my PAC and gave notice on my account.
    2 days before my contract was due to finish an ‘uber master customer service bloke’ called me up and said that they were willing to sort me out with a better deal. I asked what the best he could offer was, then regaled him of the whole sorry tale in great detail before telling him that even though it was a good deal, there was no way I would deal with Vodafone again. I think he said that he couldn’t blame me given the circumstances…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How does this scam work then?’ is closed to new replies.