Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • How does this look for a cheap road bike spec? Have i messed up or missed owt?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Will get some STI’s, bars, stem tape. Have i missed anything or got the wrong size of anything for a ribble winter frame?

Linky

wors

wheels?

oldgit
    Free Member

I can see a few problems.
    If your frame has mudguard clearance you’ll need deeper 57mm drop brakes, probably.
    8 speed cassette and chain? Are you certain you can get the 8 speed STIs. Why not go 9 speed.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If your frame has mudguard clearance you’ll need deeper 57mm drop brakes, probably.

+1 If you do need deep drop calipers then you’ve got a few options from Tektro, Shimano etc. I got a set from Condor in London (bike shop that sources OEM parts for their own bike builds) and they carry, in stock, two types. The more expensive are £60 a pair, the cheaper ones £30 I think.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yo- I’ve got a 10 speed 105 right hand STi you can have for not a lot of money because it’s got some scratches on it. Works nicely though.

I found when I started on an 8 speed bike that the gaps between gears really annoyed me and I was never in the right gear, you’re a lot more sensitive to it on a road bike.

I’ve also got a BB you can have for a fiver that’s new but been fitted. And a Sora front mech actually.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i have wheels, 8 speed sti’s and chain.

Luke – how much do you want for the lot? is it a ht2 bb? email me – cruz.heckler@gmail.com

Dickyboy

cruzheckler – check with ribble about the drop on the brakes – I bought what I am pretty sure is one of those Ribble frames secondhand but built up & destickered so can’t be 100% sure. Have some almost new unbranded brakes & new cables you can have for £15 posted if they would help as I have upgraded to campagnolo 🙂

edit – better make that a £10 posted judging by ribble prices

sorry meant to say mine has the lugs for mudguards & rack, but definitely takes the std drop not long drop brakes

warton
    Free Member

saddle? Post? Cables?(the mechs may not come with them, some I have bought haven’t)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

got all three warton

rob-jackson
    Free Member

dickyboy – its the ribble winter/audax frame fitted with mudguards??

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Rob, you will need long drop brakes….

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Rob, you will need long drop brakes….

Ribble winter frames dont use long drop brakes?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

who can confirm do i need long drop brakes or not – inclined to believe teetosugars as he has one

druidh
    Free Member

cruzheckler – Member
    who can confirm do i need long drop brakes or not – inclined to believe teetosugars as he has one

Ribble?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ribble winter frames dont use long drop brakes?

Mine does…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

druidh – emailed their sales@ email

druidh
    Free Member

Mibbe there’s been more than one model and hence the confusion

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Mine ran standard Sora brakes

Edit: the pic on website shows standard brakes too and specs state clearance of up to 23c plus guards so unlikely to be long drop if you bought the current model.

Dickyboy

Apart from not having any stickers, pretty sure mine is a Ribble Audax/Winter frame, no mudguards fitted but does have lugs for mudguards & pannier rack mounts & uses std short drop brakes. Mind you would have to be very low profile mudguards if I did want to fit any! Only difference I can see is mine has lugs for fitting friction shifters instead of cable stops on the down tube so might be an earlier model. As above I’m sure Ribble will let you know.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve got a decent (can’t remember exact model) double chainset and HTII BB I could remove from my old frame if you wanted it – £25 all in?
    (Scratch the BB – just remembered it’s Italian thread)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

dez – are you in sheffield? any pix of the chainset?

schmiken

Munrobiker, if the OP doesn’t take that 105 shifter I will. Email in profile!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mines the black one with a slightly sloping top tube- its 2 years old..

And yes, bar tape/ Mudguards/ and all other issues have now been resolved… 😳

DezB
    Free Member

cruzheckler – Member
    dez – are you in sheffield? any pix of the chainset?

No, far from there, but yeah, can do a couple of pics later if you’re interested. It’s a 9 spd if that makes any difference. And differences from your spec at the top – 37/53 (or whatever the road bike standard is!) rings and 175mm arms.

mugsys_m8

Watch out for the Ribble winter frame geometry/ sizing issues. i.e. they size up a bit strangely.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

A better pic…

Long drop Shimano brakes needed..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘How does this look for a cheap road bike spec? Have i messed up or missed owt?’ is closed to new replies.