Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How does one remove a rear maxle after handle has sheared off? Help!
  • big_scot_nanny

It was my fault, it was stiff to screw in but I kept pushing, I wanted it nipped up tight – then the handle sheared off. I didn’t push that hard though, honest! Thing is made of bloody cheese. Anyway…

How the shitting bollocks do I remove the axle now? Anyone get any great ideas? I’ve tried some needle nose pliers, but that’s going to wreck the thread. Allen keys just spin.

Arsebiscuits!

ads678

Cut a slot in it and use a screw driver.

simondbarnes

Cut a slot in it and use a screw driver.

Make sure you turn it the right way though

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

Hammer an old torxdriver into the threaded end and use that to drive it out backwards?
    When that fails file flats on and see if you can back it out enough to get some pliers on The other end?

joebristol

I rounded out a stealth maxle so effectively had the same issue you did.

I jammed something into the other end and I un-screwed it that way – I can’t remember what I used though – might have been an easy-out.

RicB

Couple of nuts with the same thread/pitch. Tighten one against the other to lock them in place (leaving plenty of thread on the frame side obvs!), then just use a spanner to unscrew the maxle. Once is starts moving you should be able to do it by hand

Tracey

Bolt extractor from Screwfix into the hole should have it out in no time

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolt-extractor-set-5-pieces/1112v

bigyan
    Free Member

Hammer in a spline bit/torx bit.

Try an extractor carefully (because they are tapered if its mega tight the extractor can split the part you are trying to remove).

Was the axle too long? (lot of exposed thread in the pic), the thread can bottom out before the axle clamps.

big_scot_nanny

Thanks folks, appreciate the advice. Simon: harsh but fair!

I’ll try with a torx bit battered into the end first, and if that doesn’t work, then RicB bolts, then bolt extractor (noting caution).

Bigyan, yes, that was the issue – its a new fatbike frame, built for 197mm rear hub, which fits fine, but the maxle seems to be a few mm too long. I’ll get a washer for the next maxle- unless anyone knows of an alternative?

big_scot_nanny

Good news, the torx trick worked a treat. Yah beauty! Many thanks folks, I was a wee bit depressed last night.

Even better news, turns out an old surly bolt through axle fits perfectly, and he’s the benefit of no cheese based components. Woohoo!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How does one remove a rear maxle after handle has sheared off? Help!’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts