Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • how does my macbook pro (2009) compare to Macbook air…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have a macbook pro 13 inch screen and thinking of getting one of these.

Macbook air 13inch

Processor: 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB shared L3 cache
    RAM: 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 onboard memory
    Storage: 128GB flash storage

compared to

Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
    storage 160gb

is the macbook air any better ?

general usage odd bit of photoshop etc

ta in advance

MrSmith
    Free Member

Check the geekbench scores.
    Personally I would fit an SSD and 16gb of ram to your MacBook instead of buying a new MacBook air as this option would be faster.

d45yth
    Free Member

+1. Increase the memory in your Macbook Pro. I’d only get an air if I had to carry it about a lot.

CountZero

It’ll certainly be very much faster in most respects; boot-up will be seconds, and having double the RAM will make running apps faster too. It should be lighter as well.
    Less storage, but there’s Dropbox and other options, like external drives; you can get a Lexar 128Gb FlashDrive with a 2m extension lead for around £74: http://www.ewlink.co.uk/lexar-echo-mx-usb-20-flash-drive—128-gb-black–usb-type-a-malefemale-extension-lead—2-metre-6256-p.asp
    More I can’t add, my PowerBook is a 2003 G4, and my computer is a 2010/11 Mini.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m due to receive a new 15″ mbp at the end of the month, I’m quite chuffed about that

greggparker9
    Free Member

I used to have a Macbook pro 15″, the model before unibody and recently was trying to decide whether to upgrade to a new 13″ pro or air. I decided to go for the pro as it wasn’t much more money for in my opinion a much better machine.

I had previously maxed out the ram in my old computer. In your situation I would stick with the pro and do the upgrades. Get another year or two from it and then upgrade to a new machine.

somafunk

I have the first edition of the MacBook unibody 13″ 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram 1067 DDR3 with a Crucial 512GB solid state drive fitted running on a 24″ Acer S243HL LED ultra thin display and it absolutely flies through anything i throw at it, I seriously doubt the new macbook air running the specs you mentioned would even come close to my 2yr old + set up, as a comparison it can handle my 24bit 96khz music software being used eg : Native Instruments Traktor DJ Software, Native Instruments Komplete 7, Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1, Ableton full version and Native Instruments Maschine all at once whilst there is no noticeable or audible artefacts or lag despite being played through a KRK studio monitor and subwoofer system, it has never let me down in almost 3 yrs of use, whether that be a screen freeze or system lock/shutdown etc. By comparison my mates souped up new Windoze laptops get replaced on a yearly basis and are complete dogs to use, to the fact that i will not go near them, apart from to hit the off button.

I’d boost your MacBook to the max as the processor should be more than up to the job as long as you have a structured knowledge of how to maximise what you have to start with, I’ve been using macs since 1997 and never had a complete meltdown or even a screen lock that has caused me any loss and the slight meltdown’s i’ve had have been totally my fault for multi-tracking far too many 24 bit 96khz tracks at one time – still got quite a few mac shares at 1997 prices as well thanks to my uni tutor badgering us to buy with our student loan so that’s my pension ( or bike habit) sorted…hopefully!.

bensales
    Free Member

somafunk – Member
    I have the first edition of the MacBook unibody 13″ 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram 1067 DDR3 with a Crucial 512GB solid state drive fitted running on a 24″ Acer S243HL LED ultra thin display and it absolutely flies through anything i throw at it, I seriously doubt the new macbook air running the specs you mentioned would even come close to my 2yr old + set up,

I’m afraid you’d be wrong.

Your MacBook: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/129245

The MacBook Air i5 1.7: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1111549

Very nearly twice the performance, half the weight, with a much better quality screen built in and faster memory. The only advantage yours has, is a built in DVD drive and a Kensington lock slot.

The screen really is the biggest difference. The one in the Air is superb and a higher resolution.

somafunk

Wow!, that’s a genuine surprise to me?, there’s quite a bit of difference according to the geekbench tests and the weight of my machine, i admit, is rather heavy – i recently fitted a new battery as my old one would only hold a charge for just over 1hr.

Hmmmm?…conundrums , do i keep my old macbook or sell it and get a tricked out macbook air, i was going to buy the iphone outright next week as i have an original iPhone 4 that’s pretty scuffed but still works fine so i guess the cash would be better spent on a lightweight Air as i cart my macbook about quite a lot and it is heavy but incredibly well built with it.

Can i live without a cd/dvd drive though?, i’d have to carry a drive pretty much everywhere i go so i’ll have a serious think bout this.

Cheers bensales, (i think?) 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I went from a 27″ iMac 2011, which is still the current one, to a 13″ 2012 MBA with the ram upgraded to 8GB and the boggo 128gig SSD.

So far, no regrets, and glad to see the back of physical media really.

I should add I was going to switch from Apple to get a Asus or Samsung ultrabook, but as they fannyed about for so long, and never actually released the units they kept announcing, I just got the MBA. However, now if you are in the market for a ultra-lightweight laptop, then it might be worth checking out some of the non-apple offerings….unless they still haven’t got their act together and actually got any products to market.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve been using an Air since 2010 (currently have a 2011 i7 one) and have never missed the DVD drive. USB keys and drives have mostly replaced it, and for the odd occasion I do have the external Apple drive, but I never carry it with me.

bensales
    Free Member

Oh, and I’d hang on for a couple of weeks, as rumour is new 13in Pro models will be out soon with Retina screens. Those will be much more powerful than Air’s with great screens and better expandablility. Still won’t have DVD drives though as Apple are binning them across the board.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Slight hijack, similar position here but need some ram for my pre unibody MBP to tide me over until next year when I’ll prob go back to a desktop. Best place for RAM? Uses 2x 1gb at the mo

Jamie
    Free Member

http://www.crucial.com/uk/mac/index.aspx

Download the scanner, and take it from there.

fontmoss
    Free Member

danke!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Haaang on, there’s a new mbp being launched in the next couple of weeks?!?? Source?? I may hold off my purchase!

MrSmith
    Free Member

won’t have DVD drives though as Apple are binning them across the board.

Already binned mine and replaced it with another SSD, I used to burn disks of images for clients now everything is sent by FTP and software is usually downloaded.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Hmmm I’ve got about £1500 to spend and the primary use will be for music production, I was going for the 15in MBP with the hires screen upgrade. for pure simplicity and speed it has separate audio in & out which I like but anyone got any better suggestions??

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Inless you really want something light and thin, get the Pro. Yup crucial ram or kingston is best.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ll wait till the end of the month then, just incase

MrNutt
    Free Member

Yield problems?!? So that’s a manufacturing problem and sounds like there’s a problem with the latest retina screens.

Sounds like I’d be better off with the standard hidef screen

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘how does my macbook pro (2009) compare to Macbook air…’ is closed to new replies.