Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How does a bike "attach" to a turbo trainer?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just wondering,

One bike has an Alfine, big headed bolts
    One a QR
    Other has CK fun bolts Allan key nut

Will they fit?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine fits by swapping the qr for a turbo specific one which then clamps into the turbo. Wouldn’t work with anything that couldn’t take a qr.

Others may vary but I can’t see how.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The QR is on my full sus bike! I couldn’t use that could I?

So, if I want a Turbo trainer, I’d need to get a new bike? Right?

I’ll let mrs Coolhandluke know.

Bregante

Tell her we’ve said it’s fine.

TiRed

The alfine nuts are too small to be clamped by my Tacx securely (although it was tight enough to set up for fitting). You need to buy special Nuts to replace them. I suspect they’ll work with CK too.

So no, you don’t need a new bike, but you will probably want a new tyre. Tacx also adjust for wheel size, but swapping sizes is not a routine job. The sartori was on offer at Decathlon if you want new. But they are always available used too.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

@&!¥ TiRed, what if she reads this now $¥€#

Thought I was on for a new bike then.

154hopperavenue
    Free Member

I ended up getting a spin bike for indoor training.
    Rock solid so you can hammer it and they don’t move, the pedal action replicates actual cycling pretty well and there’s plenty of adjustment.

I got a NordicTrack GX2. Immaculate condition on ebay, £200. Heavy but once it’s in place doesn’t matter. Maintenance will be straightforward.

Best money I’ve spent in a while as my fitness has improved enormously (luckily have someone who knows what they’re doing writing the sessions for me).

Get a heart monitor and you’re away.

mogrim

My bike just clamps into the turbo (Elite Gel something or other), no need for a different QR or anything:

You turn the handle on the right until it’s tight, then use a locking collar to stop it coming loose when you’re training.

If you do get one, a spare back wheel with a slick tyre is a must, you don’t need a rear brake so there’s no need to get a disc or worry about the braking surface, similarly if it’s a heavy old wheel and not 100% straight they won’t be a problem.

That said, an indoor spinning bike (as 154hopperavenue says) would be a lot better, it would be a lot more solid and quieter.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Oh dont forget to disconnect your back brake, if you accidentally pull it as i have done in the past the roller keeps on going and can if your not careful rub a nice chunk out of the tyre. This may just be idiot me though lol

mogrim

Macavity – Member
    http://www.lemondrevolution.com/

Not used one, but everything I’ve read says it’s louder than a loud thing…

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

my elite turbo, works with quick releases and and alfine, just checked. hth

Ro5ey
    Free Member

How about Rollers ??

coolhandluke
    Free Member

How about Rollers ??

have you seen those funny videos on You Tube of people loosing it on rollers?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How does a bike "attach" to a turbo trainer?’ is closed to new replies.