Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • How do you split your finances at home?
  • smogmonster

So a discussion at home about how our finances should be split, just wondering what everyone else does. At present our wages go into one big pot and we both have an allowance each month to spend on whatever crap we like. Im wanting to go back to a system we used to have where we split the bills according to the ratio of what we each earn. Give or take a quid or two i take home exactly double what the wife does. I am quite happy to pay 2/3rds of everything as i should. Where the disagreement comes about is that i would be a pretty nice sum of £££ a month better off to spend on (even more) crap, whereas she would stay the same, which she feels is unfair. Whats the general way of doing it in STW-Lala-land?

scotroutes

And I would say she has a very good point. Everything we own we own jointly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I pay 2/3 of outgoings ie mortgage, bills. She pays 1/3.

She buys shopping.

Works fine for us. Mortgage gone in 4 years, then we’ll change a bit, woohoo!

Waderider
    Free Member

All goes into one account and we spend whatever we want. If it’s running dry we warn each other and temper it a bit. Not difficult.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I’d side with her I think. If you’re married then your income is split equally, especially if you have kids.

With my partner, we put x amount each into a joint account for bills and then everything else is our own money. But I’d be happy to split our cash equally of she wanted to.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

All goes into one account and we spend whatever we want. If it’s running dry we warn each other and temper it a bit. Not difficult.

Pretty much this..

chewkw
    Free Member

Long time ago when life was good everything was on me. 😛

ton

all in one pot.

leffeboy

I am happy to share all of my life with my wife and that includes all of my money. Its a commitment

However, we are both similar in outlook to spending and most things so there aren’t any issues to deal with.

IHN

Everything into one big pot. I see it as ‘our’ money, not ‘your money’ and ‘my money’.

General trust in each other not to piss it away, any significant purchases by either of us discussed and agreed beforehand.

chestrockwell

All goes in one big pile here. Our lass probably spends more but she earns more also.

mattyfez

Personal wages are personal wages, both parties pay an agreed sum every month into a joint account to cover shared bills, gas, council tax etc.

The Mrs will suddenly become more efficient with the thermostat when the bill goes up. It’s as if it was magical.

How you split it is a matter of perspective, we both earn about the same money and we just split everything 50/50 so it’s easy.

Recreational spending is also pretty much shared, if we go out for dinner or a day out or whatever, we pretty much take it in turns as to who pays.

tonyg2003

All in one pot / one account here. I presently earn much more but through our married life and before marriage time together it’s been swings as to who earns most. Never been a problem.

nickjb
    Free Member

We generally split down the middle. We both work freelance and income is variable sometimes she supports me a bit sometimes I support her a bit. When we started courting we were pretty strict about the divide but the longer we’ve been together the looser its got. We both pay the bills, both save a bit, both waste a bit.

Kryton57

matt_outandabout

Everything is shared and in joint names – one current account, one savings, one credit card, one car loan, one mortgage, all the stuff we own is shared. We don’t have spare cash for spends on fun really. There’s a budget of sorts, we find that three kids throw up constant demands on the budget outside of when we ‘want’ to spend the money.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some months I out-earn mrs DD. Some months, she outearns me. We’ve never counted. We put enough into the joint account to pay the bills. We get bits and pieces and the odd treat for ourselves from the rest. Anything leftover into savings. Life’s too short and all that. She thinks I spend more on my treats. I think she spends more on hers. Which means it’s probably about the same. 😆

onewheelgood

I earn several times what Mrs Owg does. All the money goes into the joint account. We spend whatever we like. Mrs Owg doesn’t buy bikes though, so I think I spend rather more than she does.

5lab

separate pots here. Due to discrepancies in earnings, I pay for pretty much all ‘shared’ costs (mortgage, bills, holidays etc), with the exception of pet insurance and childcare which is split (pre-tax benefits).

This leaves us with broadly the same amount of cash each at the end of the day. I spend mine on stuff she thinks is a waste of money (bike stuff, etc), she spends money on stuff I think is a waste of money (coffees, clothes etc). This winds each of us up, so the less obvious it is to each other the better

shared accounts are also more susceptible to fraud, as it’s harder to spot a dodgy transaction when you’re not the only person charging to an account

ton

a marriage is a partnership. built on trust and working together.
    taking more from the partnership because you earn more is just plain old selfish.

scotroutes

Thought better of it?

Embarrassment?
    Shame?
    😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

For the last couple of years we’ve kept individual accounts and a joint account for bills etc, but we’re going all in with a joint account in a few months, it was becoming difficult to manage and causing a bit of distrust.

I don’t relish the idea and neither does my wife, we’re both very independent but it’s for the best and if not can always be undone.

andy4d

Sound’s like you don’t have kids….cos when you do there is no spare cash for nice things.

One pot here for my one income for her to spend it all…..

ads678

We have an account for all the bills and shopping that we pay an equal amount into, my wife earns more than me but I spend more than her so when I run out she foots the bill!!

shooterman

Totally separate. I transfer a fixed amount to my wife every month and household bills then come out of her account. We are each responsible for our own personal liabilities ( cars etc) and that comes out of our own accounts.

bigblackshed

All in one account. And as above we each spend what we like. If it’s anything significant then we talk to each other.

I earn about 10x what The Wife earns. She’s part time but does so because of child care and it’s what she wants to do. All of our savings are in her name, she doesn’t pay tax so it’s just sensible to do that. It’s been that way since before we were married. We trust each other, as it should be in an equal partnership.

MrPottatoHead

Pretty much goes in one pot and neither of us questions each others spending too much. I probably make the infrequent big purchases e.g. bike stuff, whereas she does more frequent small purchases so I’m sure it balances out.

Kryton57

taking more from the partnership because you earn more is just plain old selfish.

And you dont think expecting – which is very different from being offered – a pile of cash someone else who works longer/harder/more successfully than you isnt?

scotroutes

And you dont think expecting – which is very different from being offered – a pile of cash someone else who works longer/harder/more successfully than you isnt?[/quote]Wow! I think your competitive instinct is showing 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We don’t split it at all. We pay our wages into one account and then buy what we need.

It’s not a case of one earning £X and the other earning £XX, we simply earn £XXX between us.

I agree with Ton

ton

And you dont think expecting – which is very different from being offered – a pile of cash someone else who works longer/harder/more successfully than you isnt?

my wife has never expected nothing from me, in 34 years.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mrs FD earns 3 times what I do, but money is shared.

If I want something expensive I just ask, if Mrs FD wants something she asks me.

Never had any issues…. although she doesn’t get why I need 3 bikes or different running shoes for different types of terrain 🙂

The only time it’s an issue is when wanting to get surprises presents etc as all banks accounts and credit cards are shared

Kryton57

That wasnt the question i asked Ton. Why dont you try answering it, im interested in your opinion, not your personal circumstances related to the OP wife who clearly “expects” him to deliver her more of the wages he works for.

tjagain

3 bank accounts. Mine, hers, joint we each pay half of our living costs inc food into the joint account and live from that, what we have left in our individual accounts is ours to do with as we wish

this only works I think if you have similar incomes

We have never in nearly 40 years argued about money. Neither of us waste money on stupid stuff. At different times in our lives each of us has earned more than the other but never more than about a 30% difference. I run out of spending money – I either go without or ask her for beer money

She is better at saving, I am better at buying big stuff. recently I have paid for holidays and redoing the bathroom, in the past she has paid for holidays from her savings

For me the key thing is to have a deal we both are happy with and I know for certain that she would not be happy without money that is hers that she does not have to account for. Me I’d be happy handing over the lot and getting an allowance but she believes its not right that she has to be responsible for my spending habits

I repeat – in nearly 40 years we have never argued about money

mudshark
    Free Member

I pay for pretty much all the bills but I manage all the money moving it between accounts/investments as I see fit. She spends what she wants on whatever – not really to my liking as she fills the house with clutter….

tjagain

ton – Member

a marriage is a partnership. built on trust and working together.

Absolutely 100% even if like us you are not married!

scotroutes

I think the OPs wife is right to expect that they are in a relationship where everything is equally shared, not in some sort of competition to see who can earn the most.

Kryton57

You can keep battering at that door ScotRoutes, but that isnt the state of my marriage so id be grateful if you could remove the implication, thanks.

bigblackshed

Kryton57 – Member
    That wasnt the question i asked Ton. Why dont you try answering it, im interested in your opinion, not your personal circumstances related to the OP wife who clearly “expects” him to deliver her more of the wages he works for.

If the OP is reluctant to give his wife anything and everything she wants then I’d have to question the strength of the commitment in the relationship. And vice-versa.

igm

Three pots. One each which get equal amounts of money for personal use (bikes clothes presents) and one big joint one for food mortgage children etc.

I couldn’t buy my wife a present out of joint money, and I couldn’t expose her finances (or joint finances) to my bike habit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘How do you split your finances at home?’ is closed to new replies.