How do you ‘rescue’ your legs for another ride tomorrow?

Home Forum Bike Forum How do you ‘rescue’ your legs for another ride tomorrow?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • How do you ‘rescue’ your legs for another ride tomorrow?
  • Premier Icon stuartlangwilson

Eat as soon as possible after riding.

I did, Woodbine Cafe- Jacket with cheese/coleslaw and apple pie n cream πŸ˜€

hot bath/shower, massage, recovery spin, lots of sleep.

Cold bath for your legs.

Premier Icon wee-al

I’m lazy so High 5 protein recovery. Seems to work for me!

compression tights help a lot (not much help to you right now i know!)

food within 20 minutes and spinning.

I use a Compex Mi_Sport…..

Electrical Muscle Stimulation Device (EMS)

There’s lots of info’ about them on the Compex website. I got mine from Perform Better in the UK, they were extremely helpful. Even gave me a free pair of Linebreak tights!

Cheers guys. This is good advice with the coming warmer months as well…

I wear Nike tights under my shorts- Can’;t wear them in cold weather as they noticeably cool me. I wonder if they are compression tights?!!! (Got them cheap in a non-bike sale tho).

The big thing to rescue is your head; you think you are going to be weak and weedy tomorrow, so you’ll end up riding that way. Just set off slow and steady, have a good mental image of where you are riding, and where the climbs are, then pace yourself and ride as well as you can. Also don’t think that because you feel out of it in the morning, you will ride like poo all day; positive mental attitude….

Ok rode Gaburn pass yesterday, the Hope Tour today (albeit at my slow pace- took me 3.5hrs to ride 33km!!)

..and I want to ride tomorrow- what to do? I’m rehydrating now. Anything else I can do????!!

Go with Al’s suggestion of sleep. lots of it. its the best.

crikey, I know what you mean- I’m still on a high now and raring to go but I know tomorrow am I’ll be tired πŸ™‚

A Chris Boardman thing; ‘Control the controllable’.
    Just make sure that everything you can do to make yourself recover is done, feeding, rest, positive attitude and so on.
    Then ride to the best of your ability knowing that you have controlled everything that is within your power to do so.
    And, if anyone is expecting you to be tired tomorrow, it is your job to disabuse them of that notion, no matter how much it hurts πŸ˜€

Early night and protein recovery drink.

It does take 36hrs for tissue recoovery so don’t injury yourself and take it easy 2morro.

Hora’s legs:

Ice bath. Only hurts for the first 30 seconds. Legs good as new the next day even after a half marathon. Assume it’d work for a bike ride too.

just DO it FFS and don’t be a drama queen :o)

Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen. Ibuprofen.

Miracle drug… πŸ˜‰

Don’t go thinking that I’m some sort of XC God or anything. I’m a poor rider. I don’t know where this sudden thirst/rush of riding wanderlust has come from but dammit I sure am going to ride it as long as it lasts! πŸ˜†

I can’t believe we haven’t had a MTFU ya big girl yet….. πŸ˜‰

Get your legs in the air, or at least stretched out on the sofa.

That’s why I’ve been sprawled in front of the telly all afternoon. The easter egg and endless cappuccinos are all part of the recovery process too. Well, that’s the story I’m sticking to anyway.

Ideally a recovery drink (I use Torq) within 20 mins of finishing the ride and then try to consume some carbs every 2 hours until you go to bed (licence to eat eat eat). Some gentle stretching of the quads and hamstrings and as much sleep as you can cram in.

cycle further more frequently in future……..the more you do the more you’re able to do πŸ™‚

and all of the above too.

nd all of the above too.

I say none of the above it’s all twaddle, except the bit about eating food.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

I’m hoping that beer will get me through my third day of riding tomorrow πŸ™„

I’m hoping that beer will get me through my third day

well beer is nutrition and hydration (if you can bear the taste), but the side effects may be unhelpful πŸ™

have a couple of boosts bars and a banana before you go on yer ride, then ya shall have bags of energy….(get extra sleep tonite (ask yer granny for sum sleeping tablets (lol). or failing that a thwack on head with thammer….teehee

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

Only blokes behave badly after beer πŸ˜€

I might ride bikes but I’m still a woman πŸ˜‰

get extra sleep tonite

I’m sceptical about this too, I rarely sleep much more than 6 hours but have plenty of energy for riding. Perhaps the quality of sleep matters more ?

Excuse to eat LOTS of crap till you pretty much explose the night before or drink beer!!! works a charm! unless you get bad hangovers then that ideas a bit poo but works for me πŸ˜€

its all about maintenance of the engine (you)
    – spin out the lactic
    – stretch
    – recovery drink within 15 minutes
    – compression socks (like you’d wear on a plane) help
    – 65g of carbs at 2, 4, 6rs
    – don’t eat lardy, fatty food. Carbs are king
    – plenty of sleep, top athletes sleep loads for a reason
    – lots of fluids to help with carb absorption
    – carb heavy breakfast in the morning of day 2, a couple of hours before riding.
    – plenty of fluids on the morning of day 2
    Its also easier to recover for repeated days of riding if you fuel yourself properly during each ride with carbs during riding, 1g per kilo of body weight per hour.
    And if all else fails, a really strong coffee before setting off works wonders.
    The above seems to have worked for me on various stage races

compression socks

to make up for defective skin πŸ™

65g of carbs at 2, 4, 6rs

NB not 70g or every 90 minutes or it’;ll be hopeless πŸ™

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir

Chocolate milkshake, pint of.

3.5hrs. to do 20 miles! that’s pretty near walking pace, you shouldn’t even be tired, I think MTFU is probably the only suitable comment πŸ˜‰

Dibbs, I know. Funnily I enjoy the long rides when I go solo. They tend to be grin and bear with peoples ego’s when its a long group ride. Shorter rides are of course more fun in a group πŸ™‚

3.5hrs. to do 20 miles! that’s pretty near walking pace, you shouldn’t even be tired

in the Bog Trotters I’d say 5mph overall including lunch stop and punctures etc is normal πŸ™‚

We did 25 miles in Swaledale yesterday in 5h17m

They tend to be grin and bear with peoples ego’s when its a long group ride

really ? I rarely tire of my riding buddies (with a few exceptions). Perhaps you need to ride with different people ?

Premier Icon Dogsby

Forgoodnesshakes!! They come in several flavours, are tasty and are often on special offer in supermarkets. If you have a look at their web-site they have details of where the offers are. I use them after any big rides and they are excellent. After the HONC last weekend I downed one when I got to the car and was fine the next day.

Premier Icon Shandy

I find reading a bit of Ranulph Fiennes or Joe Simpson usually inspires me to MTFU. That, and picking a day out that really inpires you to push yourself again.

All the scientific and diet stuff contributes to sorting your body out, but as crikey says, what sets people apart is their mental approach to a bit of suffering.

Dean Karnazes – “Somewhere along the line we seem to have confused happiness with comfort”

****. Felt fine until I threw my leg over the bike at Lee Quarry. Just NOTHING in my legs at all. Nowt. Zip πŸ™

SFB, People cant help it. Its human nature to show off alittle, show others that you are getting better and feel good that you are excelling at something amongst your peers. On the flipside it must be annoying to always have someone on the back I guess who doesnt improve at all. Looking at it from both sides philosphically. πŸ™‚

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘How do you ‘rescue’ your legs for another ride tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.