Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How do you remove cranks with stripped threads (crank extractor)??
  • LardLover
    Free Member

Just got a cheap bike, needs a new bottom bracket (as well as lots of other things). I've just removed the 8mm hex bolt and tried to screw in my crank extractor but it wouldn't thread in and on close inspection the threads inside the crank arm, for the crank extractor are knackered 🙄

So, anyway of removing it without damaging the cranks, or is it Barry Block of Wood and a heavy mell??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ball joint splitter should do it Halfords sell them or you might get lucky with borrowing one

jam-bo

Take the bolt out and ride around for a bit. They'll fall of pretty quick….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

dirst of all try riding around the block a few times, it might work loose itself, might save you a few quid

Edit: 7 seconds too late 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I had to hacksaw some off….

cynic-al
    Free Member

RH crank won't fall off.

Druidh any decent LBS has a o/s thread cutter & puller 😛

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – but this is before there was a decent LBS in Edinburgh 😉

jam-bo

Why wouldn't rh crank fall off or loosen?

jonb
    Free Member

mallet and some percussion engineering?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Give the aluminium foil wrap a go, get your tool and wrap it in 3-4 layers of tighly fitted alu foil. Then try to re-insert into the arm, it should bite a lot better. If the arm is then reasonably movable it'll break free. But if the reason the threads are stipped is because the arm was seized on in the first place, you probably need a splitter and a new set of cranks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Druidh – before the BW opened?

jambo – lotsa meat round the axle and the crank is just sitting on the axle unlike the LH cranks which is driving toque through the axle to the chainring.

LardLover
    Free Member

Sorry for my tardy reply chaps, managaed to get it off. I managed to screw in my crank extractor, it was tight, but it worked.

Thanks for all the tips 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How do you remove cranks with stripped threads (crank extractor)??’ is closed to new replies.