Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How do you pay for a private car purchase?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So we might be looking at a car this weekend, private sale, for £4k. Suddenly realised I don’t know what is standard for actually buying a car privately… a brown envelope of non-sequential notes isn’t going to cut it I guess. Setup the seller in electronic banking and transfer the funds at their house? Do banks do cheques-on-steriods for large amounts like this?

Robz
    Free Member

What’s wrong with cash? Last time I bought a car privately that’s what I used. A big brown envelope full of cash.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If i’m Buying a car any way the seller want it, however my least preferable option would be cash as counting out £4ks worth of cash and checking for counterfeit notes takes some time and it is easier for them to play silly buggers with cash.

If i’m Selling i’ll only do electronic transfer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Stuck the last one on a credit card. Gives some form of payment insurance and we got Clubcard points on it too!
    0% interest if you use the right one too, remember.

That’s about 3-4 motorbikes and at least 2 cars we’ve paid for with a card.

timbur
    Free Member

CC for private sale might be difficult.
    Do they take Paypal?
    :O)

fooman

Paypal gift if they have an account? Bank transfer? Could do that from my phone while sat there, mostly instant depending on account.

Greybeard
    Free Member

For private deals I’ve used cash (up to £4k), cheque and bank transfer. If you get cash from the bank or building society, it can save time to take the seller with you if they’re local, and both watch the teller count it for you.

vinnyeh

Electronic transfer – Faster Payments is pretty much instantaneous unless it’s Ferrari money.
    For cash, I’ve always taken the purchaser to the bank to pay it over to a teller, I know some people use the pens to check for fake notes, but I’d much rather play safe as I can.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Faster payment via the bank, they say two hours but it’s usually instant.

If you’ve already done the deal check first, some people are a bit twitchy about stuff like that.

Cash is easy enough, just make sure your bank is open Saturday morning and they’ll take it, again some people are funny about notes.

Have you checked the reg? Word of warning, log book loans appear on all sorts of cars these days and they’re ruthless.

footflaps

I’ve always used Cash for buying / selling motorbikes up to £4k.

wallop

Last time I sold a car the chap did an online bank transfer from his phone in my front room. Easy peasy.

bigfoot
    Free Member

last 3 private car deals where buying for 10k, selling for 8.5k and then buying for 6.5k all done in cash. most recent one was 9 years ago when electronic transfers weren’t as easy.
    don’t think i would deal in those amounts of cash now.

greentricky
    Free Member

Always paid cash

burko73

Think there’s a limit on the amo7nt of cash you can use now to stop money laundering.

skids
    Free Member

I would ask them, online bank payment is easiest but if they don’t do online banking they can’t really check it there and then. You could go to the bank if it is open and transfer it into their account

trail_rat
    Free Member

Think there’s a limit on the amo7nt of cash you can use now to stop money laundering

If there is it’s more than 7.5k

wallop

Yeah my bank let me transfer £25k per day now.

Harry_the_Spider

I put the last one on a credit card and payed it off at the next statement. Payment protection and a shed load of Tesco points.

footflaps

Think there’s a limit on the amo7nt of cash you can use now to stop money laundering

No limit, Banks just have to ask a reason/report deposits above a certain amount. If you sell and then buy with cash, the bank never sees it nor knows.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How do you pay for a private car purchase?’ is closed to new replies.