Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • How do you motivate yourself to go out in the cold, windy & wet weather?
  • onandon
    Free Member

I LOVE this time of year for cycling.
    126 miles last week on the single speed over 5 sessions after work – back out this evening 🙂

the only motivation i need is that its not raining so i’ll make the most of the firm conditions.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Sacrifice who you are now, for the person you will become! I also think about races, and how much i want to win! Grrrr 🙂

edlong
    Free Member

Commuting every day, so the brain’s now re-programmed and I don’t look at any weather conditions and think “that doesn’t look like riding weather” because, if it’s Tuesday then that sure as heck is riding weather, so it still is on a Sunday. The only weather that will stop be is freakishly high, gusty wind or, depending on where I was, lightning.

Thinking back over it, the most memorable rides over the last year, that have left the biggest grins, have generally been the ones with strange weather.

EDIT: The other positive advantage of going out when others might not is that the trails are a lot quieter.

townydc
    Free Member

Firstly arrange to ride out with a mate then you seriously can’t let them down if you are both banking on each other for moral support out on the trail.
    Secondly its taken a few years to build up enough winter weather clothing to keep myself warm and dry, that now makes all the difference.
    Went out last night at 7,30pm only rode a short off road route of about 15 miles, it was cold and windy but quite firm, but I was glad to get out in the end.

ibnchris

I live in London and as a result find it really difficult to get out for a quick ride so it always has to be planned in advance. As a result, I always ride if I’ve said I’m going – otherwise I’d never ride!

So if you need motivation and have access to great riding; just think how lucky you are not to be a Londoner. And not just because of you’re ability to hit the trails whenever you want 🙂

jekkyl

lots of wicking layers, a big cup of very strong coffee and the sound knowledge that in the past when i’ve not felt like I ALWAYS enjoy myself and never regret coming out, always at one stage on a cold ride I think to myself ‘I’m glad I came out’

sneakyg4
    Free Member

I never ride in a group when the weather is bad, I can’t stand hearing the moaning of others about conditions, cold etc, sucks the will to continue right out of me.

But I do like to ride on my own in the wet, rightly or wrongly I put myself in the mindset that every ride makes me a little stronger, and if others have stayed in the house because of the weather, then I have made a little gain.

russjp
    Free Member

I dont need motivation to ride I just love riding my bike, the weather/temperature doesn’t bother me.

klumpy
    Free Member

Get an indoor hobby. Climbing wall, acrobatics centre, plain old gym, weights in front of Formula 1 on the telly, whatever. Basing all your exercise on being outside when ya live in the UK is, I’ve just decided, the reason we are an obese nation. 🙂

Aristotle
    Free Member

klumpy – Member

Basing all your exercise on being outside when ya live in the UK is, I’ve just decided, the reason we are an obese nation.

Much as I hate to disagree….

soulwood
    Free Member

Winter riding is training for your mind. When Summer arrives you will remember the mud, wet, cold and wind and never let a good ride opportunity be wasted. Those who daren’t in the winter are the ones who don’t in the Summer.

jam-bo

When Summer arrives you will remember the mud, wet, cold and wind

unless we get another shitty summer…

TiRed

I commute every day as we are only a one car family (the shame) so I have no choice in the matter, I’ve just got to do it.

This for daily miles. Club runs for sociable miles and training.

Haven’t been on a mountain bike ride since November, but that is due to bike access rather than weather. Was sad to have missed the snow 🙁

b45her
    Free Member

The Rules

pay particular attention to rules 5 + 9.

Kryton57

Nobby – Member
    Think of it as preparation for SITS/Mayhem/24:12 etc

If you remember SITS 2012 you’ll know exatcly my frame of mind. 😐

MadPierre

The term “Fair Weather Fairy” being applied to them help anyone?

fasthaggis

Set a target event ( or events )
    Tell as many people as you can about the target,better still ride with people that are doing the same event(s)
    Ride in a group.( see above )
    Ride with people that will send you the most abusive txts EVA,if you miss a ride ( you get to do the same back )
    Get some good riding gear.
    Plan for bad weather all the time ,then be pleasantly surprised when it’s nice .
    MTFU or indeed WTFU and get on with it.

HTH 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

I like the Boardman tip.

Just get on with it and don’t think about it too much, you know you’ll feel much better for it once you’ve done it. When training it’s just part of the routine and it’s not a choice of whether to do it or not (helps if you have a training plan.) If it’s just getting out for a ride for fun, well if it’s not going to be fun then don’t do it. Do something else instead, go on the turbo, go for a swim, go down the gym, read a book.

Also worth thinking back to times when you’ve been desperate to get out riding but not been able to (e.g injury or other commitments.)

vickypea
    Free Member

I think of winter MTB rides as preferable to (and safer than) winter road riding and I also tell myself that riding in harder conditions will improve my overall riding as it seems so much easier in warm dry conditions (though warm dry conditions equated to about 2% of last year’s rides!)

somafunk

How do you motivate yourself to go out in the cold, windy & wet weather?

I don’t bother at all, riding for me is meant to be fun and something to look forward to and i couldn’t give a rats arse with regard to fitness levels or heart rate or beating last weeks bike ride effort. If i don’t feel like a bike ride and the weather is shite then i may read a book wi a coffee and nice biscuits in front of the fire or i may go to the pub to see my mates or i may just fart about the house and do stuff that needs doing.

thejesmonddingo

I started trying to get fit and lose weight seriously about 4 weeks ago,and gave in and bought an exercise bike ,I’ve no riding mates locally,so get out with a group once a week,but if the weather’s bad ,I’m on the bike in front of the tv.I’m a lot quicker when I do get out though,and I’m only doing an hour 3 times a week.

belugabob
    Free Member

It helps to have a load of (bonkers) mates who you’ve arranged to go out with.
    Paid dividends yesterday – freezing cold with a biting wind, in the car park, but soon warmed up (courtesy of riding my singlespeed)
    The trails were frozen so resembled dust in places and we all came back with clean bikes – it was just like summer, but with frost 😉

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’m lucky to be here after a serious RTA, I wasn’t sure if I would be able to ride again. Consequently I have no problem getting the motivation to ride at all, I’m just happy to be able to.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Riding is good for the soul. That is enough motivation.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The longest distance is from your warm bed to the front door with the bike in hand. Once you cover that, you’ll not regret it!

126 miles last week on the single speed over 5 sessions after work – back out this evening

That’s my motivation, knowing that someone else is doing more miles than me.

garage-dweller

Because I love bicycles and I don’t get too ride as much as I used to (young kids).

If its filthy wet or really cold I sometimes cut the miles but not the smiles.

I find the group ride followed by pub quite motivational although havent managed that for two months due to illness and work commitments but missing these makes me more motivated on my own soit all kind of balances out.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘How do you motivate yourself to go out in the cold, windy & wet weather?’ is closed to new replies.