Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • How do you motivate yourself to go out in the cold, windy & wet weather?
  • Kryton57

…. because I’m having trouble… 😕

nbt

I don’t. Riding’s supposed to be fun, if I don’t fancy going out then I do something else. It’s not a crime

johnellison
    Free Member

I don’t. Riding’s supposed to be fun, if I don’t fancy going out then I do something else. It’s not a crime

This.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Arrange to ride with someone else. Better still if you’re both a bit competitive then neither wants to be the person that says “It’s a bit wet out, fancy watching Sunday Brunch instead?”

sambob
    Free Member

I don’t, generally. Will go out if I’ve arranged to ride with others though.

robbespierre
    Free Member

I remind myself of how crap I’ll feel if I don’t go out!

binners

I think as long as the rainy horribleness/lovely dry dustiness balance is maintained then you can live with it. Its just that that balance has been seriously out of whack for the last couple of years ‘summers’.

I’ve been really struggling to motivate myself too. But now the rain has finally stopped, the mud has frozen, and the ground is hard, my mojo has returned a bit 😀

Speshpaul

there is a tipping point where it is to awful to go out. But i generally get some thing from a wet ride. the sense of just getting on with it.
    having some decent gear helps.

but yesterday was bloody great, freezing, the bike came back cleaner than it went out, some of the old crap fell off1

wordnumb
    Free Member

Weather always looks worse from the dry.

mintimperial

I have a kid and a wife and a full time job. If I don’t go out for my ride at the time booked, submitted, and approved in triplicate three months in advance, I don’t get to go out at all. 😉

asterix
    Free Member

its always better in a forest – less windy and at least some shelter, so if like this weekend its cold and snowy or wet I opt for the mountain bike in the forest over the road bike. Tell yourself your choosing a nice warm cosy option instead of battle a headwind and huge wind chill. its all relative

officialtob
    Free Member

I always struggle to go out if it is actually raining. It can start raining 30 seconds after I leave for all I care – that’s fine. But if it is raining before I leave, for some reason, my motivation completely disappears into thin air.

wors

I commute every day as we are only a one car family (the shame) so I have no choice int matter, I’ve just got to do it.

When it comes to fun riding, riding in shite weather isn’t fun. So I don’t bother.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

HTH.

😉

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

If it’s just to ride socially then I don’t bother but I’m in specific training mode so I use my rollers instead for either tempo, threshold or speed workouts.

The weather doesn’t usually bother me unless it’s heavy rain combned with strong wind. Was out in it yesterday at 0°c in a skinsuit competing in a TTT. That was very cold!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I try to look at the weather as part of the overall challenge of riding.
    Guess it may have something to do with how you came to riding MTBs.
    My route was from a love of walking/climbing/mountaineering where grim weather added to the experience.
    Perversely I do find riding dry trails in hot sun a bit dull too!
    Or, do you mean riding on a road bike, in which case I see your point.

Kryton57

asterix – Member
    its always better in a forest – less windy and at least some shelter, so if like this weekend its cold and snowy or wet I opt for the mountain bike in the forest over the road bike. Tell yourself your choosing a nice warm cosy option instead of battle a headwind and huge wind chill

Rogerthecat – I am fighhting over the decision to take the road bike out after having a miserable time yesterday (still recoving from manflu) Asterix ^^ has a point, maybe I should take the SS out for an hour and see if the forest has improved….

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i wonder if its an age thing, every winter i find it harder to get going in the cold wheares in the past it would never have bothered me. today classic example, its dry, i have the time to grab a quick hour road ride, but knowing that my fingers will freeze solid before i get more than 5 mins up the hill i really can’t be assed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I embro up. It’s the best way of preparing and motivating I can find.

The simple act of rubbing embrocation into your muscles then donning some thermal under layers on, then your normal riding kit, it’s just the perfect determination mindset to go out and ride.

That and also the fact that one day, one day in the future you’ll be sat somewhere where you don’t really want to be, looking outside and spotting white puffy clouds, sun, dry trails and kicking yourself quite hard in nuts.

Take it whilst you can.

HTH 😆

FuzzyWuzzy

Just riding with others for me, as soon as someone’s definitely going out it’s much easier to drag yourself out to (I find I’m always glad I went out on the ride it’s just the initial motivation that’s lacking)

binners

Perversely I do find riding dry trails in hot sun a bit dull too!

You, sir, are absolutely…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

It’s the cold , wet days that justify some of the kit I’ve bought over the years. Being comfortable on such days makes me feel smug.

cheers_drive

If you can arrange rides with other the motivation is easy but it’s tough on your own.
    I’ve just moved from Bristol where I had a club of riders to call on for a ride to somewhere I know no riders, I will join a club eventually but for now motivation is hard. Yesterday I did my 2nd ride of the year, a road ride with below zero windchill, leaden skies and snow flurries. It took 10 miles to beat the urge to back and go home but eventually rolled in 3 1/2 hours later, the cold meant I didn’t feel great at the time but once warmed up I felt fantastic as I always do once I’ve forced myself out.

shortcut

Lead rides for others or sweep on rides for others – commitment = no choice = riding in poor weather. Like it or not.

jam-bo

Unless I’m ill, I go out when I get the chance too.

As this isn’t very often at the moment, I take whatever conditions I get…

MadPierre

It’s only the getting out there that feels horrible – once you’re actually on it its fun!

giantx4
    Free Member

STRAVA!

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i think the tried and tested saying about ‘no such thing as bad weather just the wrong/ right kit/ clothing ‘ helps

uponthedowns
    Free Member

i wonder if its an age thing, every winter i find it harder to get going in the cold wheares in the past it would never have bothered me.

Same here especially last year when April was cold as well. I find it helps to have a big event lined up in June-July where you know you will either fail or suffer horribly if you don’t get the training in.

Good tip here from Chris Boardman who would get into his kit before deciding whether to call off a training session becuase of bad weather. Much easier to decide not to ride from under the duvet.

ndthornton
    Free Member

motivation not required only logic – riding is fun and exciting – staying in is dull and boring. Weather not a factor

Nobby

Think of it as preparation for SITS/Mayhem/24:12 etc 🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

Good tip here from Chris Boardman who would get into his kit before deciding whether to call off a training session becuase of bad weather. Much easier to decide not to ride from under the duvet.

Best bit of advise I’ve heard in ages.

ahwiles
    Free Member

[yorkshireman] commuting by car costs me £4/day in petrol, and i’m not made of money.

[/yorkshireman]

wors – Member

When it comes to fun riding, riding in shite weather isn’t fun. So I don’t bother.

what he said, and it’s not like i haven’t got other things to be getting on with…

chief9000
    Free Member

My advice would be to make sure you have proper kit to wear. If you are warm and dry its ok!

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i like the logic idea… would i prefer to be out in the wild, or sat on the sofa…

thecrookofdevon

Just think how rare it is that you go and the ride was spoilt because of the crap weather. Once you are out it is fine. Get decent kit though. Weather in Scotland is great at the mo!

ahwiles
    Free Member

iamroughrider – Member

i like the logic idea… would i prefer to be out in the wild, or sat in front of the tv..

if the weather’s crap, TV! (or diy, or laundry, or bake a cake, or phone your mum, or etc.)

thecrookofdevon – Member

Just think how rare it is that you go and the ride was spoilt because of the crap weather…

crap weather is one of the few things that CAN spoil a ride…

iamroughrider
    Free Member

i ventured out a couple of weeks back in very harsh weather. Except for my hands going numb ( wrong choice of gloves) I didn’t even notice the weather and had an amazing time..

when i get back home I make sure I fix my mind on this feeling for a moment.. which then prepares me for the next time.

Aristotle
    Free Member

When it’s wet and cold, put on a pair of these:

I’ve always found that running in the rain is less unpleasant, and can be less messy (depending on how much deep mud you are going to be crawling through) than on the bike.

joolsburger
    Free Member

This is my favorite time of the year to ride. Frozen ground with a bit of sun is perfect. I go out in the rain on the basis that if I didn’t I’d have hardly ridden at all last year. I’m not a fan of very hot days just too sweaty.

I’ve never regretted going for a ride, I try and remind myself of that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘How do you motivate yourself to go out in the cold, windy & wet weather?’ is closed to new replies.