• This topic has 52 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • How do you like your omelettes…
  • mogrim

Not sure if it’s one of those things I’ve been told is wrong therefore just taken it as true.

But eggs cooked in olive oil taste vile!

Yeah, that would be one of those things you’ve been told is wrong and you’ve taken it as true. What oil do you think Spanish omelettes are cooked in?

redmex
    Free Member

My scrambled eggs are treated to creme fraiche rather than milk, with some smoked salmon, some balsamic syrup drops, rocket and roasted wee toms

thepurist

My scrambled eggs are treated to creme fraiche rather than milk, with some smoked salmon, some balsamic syrup drops, rocket and roasted wee toms

Served with artisan sourdough and craft beer?  #PeakSTW

fasthaggis

The day we finished climbing Everest and made it back to base camp, I was starving, shattered and had a runny bottom from eating yellow snow, badly in need of fats and protein we stopped at the first Sherpa’s tent and I ordered a massive omelette with chips, I think there must have been ten or twelve eggs in it. It was about the size of a manhole cover, folded over and sloppy inside , a deep golden colour ,in that rarefied air it tasted amazing. I can still see it now, no meal has ever been consumed so fast. I did however shit it out 5 minutes later. Eggs truly are the food of the Devil. I have never touched an egg since.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’ll take mine Dave England style

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

feta in the fold

bsims
    Free Member

One assumes the servants take care of that!🧐

@ Malvern rider- I think you have just put me off omelettes!&#x1f92e

bsims
    Free Member

I’ll take mine Dave England style

Yum, extra digestive enzymes😂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Guess what i just ate.

Had to reaffirm their deliciousness before Malverns post to hold and tainted them for life.

I’d rate it 7out of 10. My electric hob is too slow to get back up to heat after dumping the egg in. Also strong cheddar is not the best choice for a filling.

johnjn2000

Best thread in ages 🙂
    Heat large knob of butter in pan to high heat, 3 eggs beaten with black pepper and bit of sea salt. Add a knob of butter to the mix, pour mix into pan and scooch the edges up as they get cooked to let the uncooked mix flow through.Try to keep it a little soft inside.
    Fillings:
    Breakfast = Smoked salmon and a bit of cheese or mushroom and cheese
    Lunch = fresh chilli, red or yellow peppers, with the addition of cooked chicken if hungry
    Tea = Spanish omelette

redmex
    Free Member

Lidls faux sourdough no fancy beers for me but using my classic for the coffee and Silvia makes lovely velvet to add giving me the perfect flat white

slowoldman

My scrambled eggs are treated to creme fraiche rather than milk,

Cream in mine. With real sourdough from my local baker. Except last night when I had some Warburton’s crumpets to finish.

Anyway, back to omelettes and this little extract from Elizabeth David’s classic book “An Omelette and a Glass of Wine”. At the end you will discover how to make the perfect omelette.

Once upon a time there was a celebrated restaurant called the Hotel de la Tête d’Or on the Mont-St-Michel. The reputation of this house was built upon one single menu which was served day in day out for year after year. It consisted of an omelette, ham, a fried sole, pré-salé lamb cutlets with potatoes, a roast chicken and salad, and a dessert.

But it wasn’t so much the lavishness of the menu which made Madame Poulard, proprietress of the hotel, celebrated throughout France. It was the exquisite lightness and beauty of the omelettes, cooked by the proprietress herself.

Quite a few customers attempted to explain the particular magic which Madame Poulard exercised over her eggs and her frying pan. She mixed water with the eggs, one writer would say, she added cream asserted another, she had a specially made pan said a third, she reared a breed of hens unknown to the rest of France claimed a fourth. Before long, recipes for the omelette de la mere Poulard began to appear in magazines and cookery books. Each writer in turn implied that to him or her alone had Madame Poulard confided the secret.

At last, a Frenchman called Robert Viel wrote to Madame Poulard, by this time long retired, and asked her once and for all to clear up the matter. Her reply, published in 1932 in a magazine called La Table, ran as follows:

6 June 1932.
    Monsieur Viel, Here is the recipe for the omelette: I break some good eggs in a bowl, I beat them well, I put a good piece of butter in the pan, I throw the eggs into it, and I shake it constantly. I am happy, monsieur, if this recipe pleases you.
    Annette Poulard.

bsims
    Free Member

@slowoldman- a case of occam’s razor.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘How do you like your omelettes…’ is closed to new replies.