• This topic has 52 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • How do you like your omelettes…
  • bsims
    Free Member

For lunch today I made an omelette that I hadn’t quite cooked to perfection and had to chase it around the plate!

I like them gooey in the middle but well done on the outside, with red Leicester/ Double Gloucester grated in, slices of ham, red onions and a bit of salt and pepper. Then lettuce, tomatoes and peppers on the side. Oh, and the pan lubricated with full fat butter.

How does everyone cook theirs? Share your recipes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

3 large eggs, not runny with ham and cheese and some cracked black pepper

ads678

For me, an omelette is best if you crack the egg straight into a frying pan, don’t beat it, then when it’s cooked put it straight onto some nice bread with bacon and a bit of brown sauce…..

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ As steve but forget the pepper. The ham and cheese season an omelette enough without adding more.

Ohh, and French style – very high temperature and fold in the egg quickly before throwing the ham and cheese on – the whole thing should take no more than two minutes to cook. None of those silly 4” thick simmered wedges for me thank you very much.

globalti
    Free Member

The day we finished skiing the Haute Route and skied down into Zermatt I was starving, shattered and unwell with a bad tummy from lack of water in the huts for hand washing after using the toilet. I was badly in need of fats and protein and we stopped at the first restaurant terrace and I ordered a monster omelette with chips, I think there must have been five or six eggs in it. It was about the size of a slipper, folded over and sloppy inside and a deep yellow colour and tasted fantastic in the clean Alpine air. I can still see it now, no meal ever tasted as good. Eggs truly are the food of the Gods.

IHN

Big

bikesandboats
    Free Member

I heard that the french only have one egg in their omelette, because one egg is un oeuf

thepurist

cheese bacon and shrooms, cook plain omeletee until it’s nearly done then add filling & loadsa black pepper, fold omlette in the pan and finish so it’s still just not quite done(*) inside

(*) – determining this point is similar art to getting a cup and cone set up to have almost no play when loose that’ll disappear when the QR is done up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Superhot pan initially when the eggs (3) go in, add cheese, cooked chorizo and pepper – fold in half, turn the heat down and allow it to cook on each side for a couple of minutes.
    Result should be crispy outside but gooey in the middle.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

One or two eggs depending on the size of the pan. Whisked lightly with chopped chillies, garam massalla, and salt.

Perferably cooked over a campfire with a steaming hangover.

ebennett

3 eggs, cooked quickly in a hot pan until not quite set on top. Season, toss in some ham if I have any, fold onto plate. Then drizzle some Chinese chili crispy oil (here) and some of the crunchy bits on the top. Perfect.

slowoldman

Two beaten eggs, black pepper, into a ridiculous quantity of butter in the pan. Add sautéed mushrooms, possibly herbs, fold.

Should be moist inside.

lunge

Using the Hannah Grant technique. https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/how-to-make-an-omelette-cooking-with-team-saxo-tinkoffs-hannah-grant

3 eggs, no filling, lots of salt and pepper, runny in the middle, 7 folds minimum.

tomhoward

2 eggs so its not too thick, folded in half over sweet and very spicy fried noodles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno. Apparently I’ve been doing it wrong and have only ever made Spanish omelet. All the ingredients in a hot pan, scramble a bit, shove it under the grill, wait till the top is crispy, bish bash bosh.

slowoldman

Hannah Grant

The one on the plate looks like a Blue Peter “Here’s one I prepared earlier”. It has colour. The one in the pan is white. Also, an omelette deserves, nay demands, butter.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Dunno. Apparently I’ve been doing it wrong and have only ever made Spanish omelet. All the ingredients in a hot pan, scramble a bit, shove it under the grill, wait till the top is crispy, bish bash bosh.

I hope there are no Spaniards in here tonight ..

bsims
    Free Member

@ thisisnotaspoon – If its got omelette in the name it counts.

Edit : I’m going to call my rare lunch creation a French Omelette

TheFlyingOx

2 eggs, whisked up with a tiny bit of crushed garlic and a bit of cracked black pepper. Dollop of butter in pan, pan on medium heat with only half the pan over the flame. When the butter has melted pour the omelette mix into pan, wait for the heated half to cook, add a bit of cheese to the uncooked half and move the whole pan over the flame. Let the uncooked half firm up enough to cope with a deft flick of the wrist that flips the cooked half over and on to the melting cheese, return to heat until cooked to liking.

bodgy
    Free Member

Personally, I prefer a galette to omelettes. Preferably with the classic Comté, ham, spinach, egg combo.

Either way, frying with unsalted butter is more non-stick than salted butter. I have no idea why.

tails
    Free Member

This one by Jamie Oliver is on the money for me. I normally make a mess though.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154121557054807&id=27994914806&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&_rdr

andy4d

3 or 4 eggs, grated cheese, ham, spinnach and a tomato (with watery, seed centre removed). Into a low heat pan for a long low cook. Flip once at end.  I dont like a runny omelette, needs to  be cooked through for me.

scuttler

Proper thread this and one of the reasons I keep coming back in amongst the bike shysters and the “which Maxxis do I need threads”. Turbonom.

bsims
    Free Member

@ scuttler – Yeah, this one has got nearly as many replies in 6 hours as my last thread on wide rims and 2.6 tyres has in 2 days!

bodgy
    Free Member

Despite my previous post, that Jamie Oliver one looks like exactly my sort of omelette.

redmex
    Free Member

What about the splash of milk to the eggs and definitely cooked for me non of this crappy james martin fastest omelette most if not all look s__t

tpbiker
    Free Member

My personal favourite is a portugese omelette…

Fyi..Don’t Google the recipe at work..

bsims
    Free Member

ignore – the embedding I managed earlier was a fluke

whereisthurso
    Free Member

2 eggs beaten, poured in a pan over medium heat. Stir with the back of a fork and cook until almost no runniness remains then add cheese, peppers, and ham or bacon then a touch of pepper. Fold over in the pan and serve with with a splash or two of tabasco. Lovely

verses

Unfertilised… Oh, hang on…

bsims
    Free Member

@ads678

img src=”https://tenor.com/view/bring-it-on-in-to-omeletteville-gif-8765556″ alt=””/

Argh! What am I doing wrong?!

bsims
    Free Member

Is this the sort of thing IHN?

joshvegas
    Free Member

What about the splash of milk to the eggs

What you have their is a badly scrambled egg.

bsims
    Free Member

Agreed- if it has milk in it’s not an omelette. Sorry redmex, you’ll have to start a ‘how do you like your scrambled eggs’ thread.😋

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Sat randomly talking with a chef at 2300 hrs at the bar of 5 star hotel, nice bloke. We were drunk as hell.

He opens up the kitchen to show me how to make the perfect omelette for job interviews.

Nice bloke.

I remembered most of his instructions and add more veg and olive oil for healthy reasons.

rogermoore

3 eggs, Chorizo and Manchego!
    RM.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s one of those things I’ve been told is wrong therefore just taken it as true.

But eggs cooked in olive oil taste vile!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Instead of chorizo I use numerous small plobs of anchovy paste and a generous sprinkling of good smoked paprika.

salt, pepper.

Served with roasted full baby toms and roasted finely sliced bell pepper.

Habanero sauce to finish.

DickBarton

Rather boring…3 or 4 eggs, pack of smoked salmon (sliced and diced) and some chilli flakes…

Pook

Feta in the fold

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘How do you like your omelettes…’ is closed to new replies.