Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • How do you like your barbers – chatty or quiet?
  • convert

Have done my own for the last 25 years so can’t really comment. I do a good line in talking shite so probably could tolerant a bit of banter.

Went to a barber in my youth as a 13/14 year old. You’d get the next free barber and in a terrible game of roulette it was either the old geezer with some sort of skin condition and a hacking cough or a well endowed figure of loveliness. Both would get into your personal space – the bloke with his wheezing and BO; the lady with her magnificent bosoms resting on your shoulder or full in your face. In both cases I have no idea if they were actually talking as I was either concentrating on not vomming or in a stupified adolescent nirvana. Fate was a cruel mistress and I seemed to get the old boy twice as often and the lady but the lure of getting lucky the next time was too much for me to go anywhere else.

alpin
    Free Member

Been going to the same hairdresser for the last seven years.

She’s a bit of a milf and smells nice. Have done a few jobs for her privately.

Sit and chat about all sorts…. Me losing my driving license, her dad’s Alzheimers, my citizenship bollocks….

Told her she shouldn’t wear those trousers again…. Camel toe 🐫…!

slowoldman

“Have done a few jobs for her privately”.

richmtb

I think this thread is approaching peak STW.

Been going to the same hairdresser for about 10 years, I enjoying having a chat.

stevied
    Free Member

Mine is ace.
    I’ve know her for about 30 years and we just have a gas about all sorts. I look forward to our catch-ups.

jimdubleyou

I go to a barbers in town that is all women. It’s a bit of roulette as to which one you get.

I’ll have a sociable conversation with any them, but it’s not constant chat except for the one who’s recently divorced and having issues with her 12 year old son, her son’s school, her son’s scouts group, her ex-mother in law, the neighbours and the dog.

I generally leave it if she’s working.

edhornby

My barber chats to his mate incessantly in Turkish/Kurdish 🙂 it’s fine and if he chatted to me this would also be fine. I swapped barbers because the ones in Manchester were a bit daily mail and the young Turkish lads who set up near our house need the custom more.

hols2
    Free Member

I go to a barbers in town that is all women.

That’s a hairdressers. If it’s a proper barber’s shop, there will not be any women.

BillMC

It used to be all talk about holidays. The ennui! The last haircut I had the young woman barber also worked making prosthetic limbs for the film industry. It was fascinating.

jimdubleyou

If it’s a proper barber’s shop, there will not be any women.

A bit like those poncy golf clubs?

FWIW, it has got “Barbers” in the name.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d describe as not wanting someone to talk at me when I am unable to leave.

That where you learned your debating skillz ol boy? 😊

kerbdog
    Free Member

As a barber myself, its often diffcult to know when someone wants to chat or not. Social interaction doesnt really allow us to ask straight out if people want to chat or not…at least not without it feeling really awkward.

Some folks come in for a chat more than a haircut because they are on their own at home or whatever. Some folks come in that we are really glad to see and chat with.

You are kind of taught to chat and make the whole thing an “experience” but the longer you’re in the business the more you realise that some folks prefer to just sit in silence.

Additionally theres some clientelle that i’d be more than happy to never hold another conversation with again, just as long as they keep giving me their custom.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How do you like your barbers – chatty or quiet?’ is closed to new replies.