Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • How do you like your barbers – chatty or quiet?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I wish mine would STFU.

All he rattles on about is beer, pubs and football; none of which
    are of particular interest to me.
    And he can’t cut and speak simultaneously so the whole sorry experience
    takes much longer than necessary
    He does a good cut though. I guess you can’t have everything.

funkmasterp

Only go for the beard trimming occasionally nowadays as have no hair left. Very one sided conversations as I can’t really talk with a razor wafting around my face.

Drac

Chatty as I’m not a miserable git.

slowoldman

“Doin’ anything’ interestin’ this afternoon”?

“Playing the oboe” or “riding my bike” are both conversation stoppers.

mariner
    Free Member

I love her accent.
    Could sit and listen to her all day.

derek_starship
    Free Member

love her accent.
    Could sit and listen to her all day.

Oh hello.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Up close and personal ..
    My missus cuts mine, ( she is a mobile hairdresser / stylist )..

tjagain

I loathe chatty barbers, taxi drivers and any other stranger that has me as a captive audience for their drivel.

bruneep

He’s an absolute topper of a chap.

I do my own, bare blade all over 👨‍🦲

RustySpanner

tjagain

I loathe chatty barbers, taxi drivers and any other stranger that has me as a captive audience for their drivel.

🙂

martinhutch

It’s great that we’re finally taking back control, innit mate? Going anywhere this weekend?

chewkw
    Free Member

How do you like your barbers – chatty or quiet?

The last time I went to a barber was more than 10 years ago as I forgot to bring my Wahl clipper.

Even when I had full head of hairs in my younger days I rarely chat to the barber.

In a way I prefer them to be not too chatty or quiet. i.e. 20 to 30% speaking time is fine.

hols2
    Free Member

I hate being expected to talk to people, wish they’d shut up and get on with it. Had to talk to somebody last week, he just kept going on about the coronavirus thing. Like I give a ****.

reluctantjumper

At mine the owner is a huge Juventus fan, he doesn’t really chat when cutting my hair as the first time I went in there I admitted I don’t really like football. Always says hi and goodbye when I’m there so I guess he has nothing else to talk about. People actually wait for him so when I get there rarely waiting more than 5 minutes before going to one of the others. The others are all fine, especially now they know I get nervous when they get the blade or scissors out. Perfectly happy to chat away most times when the clippers are going but any sign of a blade or scissors and I go quiet and daren’t move! Was cut quite badly when I was 6 by a friend’s mum who was the local hairdresser, didn’t have a haircut for nearly a year after that, has stayed with me ever since.

So I’m happy either way but quiet works best.

bearnecessities

I like mine with a kiss.

Duggan

I’d prefer not to talk but recognise that there is an obligation to be social so will shoot the breeze with them. I have a barber now who I sort of “know” and if he’s not got a queue of loads of people I will always pick him as he tends to just launch into a monologue and talk at his customers so I get the benefit of not sitting in silence without having to make any effort.

I’d say I fundamentally disagree with 80% of everything he says but he does do a good haircut.

Last time I saw him he started moaning about how drunks take up too much time of the emergency services at weekends (tend to agree) and that they should all just be rounded up and sent to a big room in the city centres and given a good kicking by the police (not sure about that).

mrchrist

Get on well with my barber who is a football fan and cyclist. We quickly established that we should talk about cycling more then foorball.

epicyclo

Silent.

ransos
    Free Member

The social awkwardness is strong in this thread.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The chat is part of the reason I go to my barber. She’s a few years older than me but she’s good looking, tall, blonde and funny. We get on well and always have a laugh while she trims what’s left of my hair. It’s an enjoyable 20 minutes and well worth the ten quid charge.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol, you could guess the ones on here that can’t even converse with a barber! 😂😂😂

lister

Silence. I prefer to glower at myself in the mirror hoping it will all end soon.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

There are 4 barbers in the place I go. One is quite chatty, but it’s always interesting, he likes motorcycles and old cars and has just moved and trying to live off the grid. Another is ok chat wise but quickly tunes in whether you do or do not want to talk, does and fine cut and is quick. Another is very chatty and opinionated and for some reason I find myself talking shite back. Takes longer than the others and I try to avoid. I’ve not tried the other. I can appreciate that folks do go for a chat, they welcome the old guys in and brew them a tea or coffee and wotnot. Personal preference is between number one and two.

epicyclo

ransos

I’d describe it more as a total lack of interest in football…

tjagain

I’d describe as not wanting someone to talk at me when I am unable to leave.

ransos
    Free Member

See if you can engage your barber in a different topic. It’ll be good for you.

garage-dweller

No barber is going to get a meaningful conversation about football out of me but that’s purely because I’ve probably got a better knowledge of Latin than I do of football (I don’t know much Latin).

Happy to chat in the barber on other topics because I’m not a mardy sod (well not all the time).

However if you’re the random bloke who stopped to talk who moved here recently because his old town was “too busy and overcrowded. Sure you know what I mean, too many of them take-aways and little shops.” I don’t want to engage with you again.

It took me just a moment to twig what (I think) he meant.

LAT

I can’t understand much of what mine says and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t understand me. Though he does go by the name Willy which alway makes me happy. I want him to open his own place and call it Hair by Willy.

Drac

I’ve no interest so I tell them and change the subject.

ransos

It does explain the behaviour of some on here.

iancity1
    Free Member

Loathe going to barbers because of the chat, hate it. Don’t like conversing with strangers at all and feel awkward that I have to say something.
    just bought a home quick cut kit to avoid this situation.
    I’m aware that I am 100% socially awkward !

Rich_s

I’m quite happy to chat as long as it’s not about football.

New guy at my local chopshop is… interesting. Camp as a row of tents, shirt opened to his navel, fond of talking about his conquests, doesn’t really listen. Talks a lot. Not my bag at all, but by hell I liked what he did to my hair.

Mugboo

As a barber I’d say a good one should be able to read the signals and know when to shut up. Then again I’m nearly 50, so can’t be arsed dragging conversations out of miserable barstewards, plus for all I know they are autistic and this is quite literally the worst part of every month.

Having said that I love bikes so we’d mostly all be ok 😉

Where are you all going on your jollies this year by the way?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Tell me more about how you hate bicycles

thegreatape
    Free Member

Chatty – mine is a good source of intel!

Drac

I think I seen that episode of the sweeney.

binners

The lesson to be learned from this is that people who don’t like football are weirdos and should be viewed with suspicion 🙂

Have you lot not just thought of buying some clippers? It’s very liberating

chakaping
    Free Member

They never try to talk to me about footy, can they just tell?

I like a nice chat though.

feed

I have no issue chatting with strangers however I personally find getting my hair cut to be an incredibly relaxing experience so hate having to converse with the barber to ruin the tranquility. Luckily, most barbers close to my work place haven’t a word of English. I also find dentist visits and hospitals very relaxing. My brain must be wired wrong 🙂

sargey

My wife is a hairdresser and you would think that she has had enough of talking during the day but no….

garage-dweller

Where are you all going on your jollies this year by the way?

😆 Notice how a certain segment of this thread have ignored you…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How do you like your barbers – chatty or quiet?’ is closed to new replies.