Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • How do you 'let go' of ex's?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Somewhat daftly, I just tried looking up my ex on a popular social networking site. We haven’t been in contact for 6 years now and were only actually together for 3. It was me that ended it – quite a long time ago now. Despite this, having been told by her public profile that she’s now engaged – I’m actually feelling physically sick at the thought of it.

I sense the STW hive-brain response might be something like ‘don’t look up your ex on social networks’, or… ‘you just get on with it’.

Hmmm…

Most of my ex’s never really seem to leave my head either, so this must be a recurrent brain-issue with me. They swirl around and pop in and out of my thoughts time and time again. Arrgghh.. But the now engaged one was probably my first love though, so even this is a bit different.

Anyone else get this?

BoardinBob

rone

You answered you’re own question …

Get a new woman? There is nothing as exciting as.

(Maybe on a practical note – remind yourself of why you split, revisit in your head and then bury.)

We all move on from time to time. Let it go.

flip
    Free Member

Get on with it and move on

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Every time I try and find one (and I try lots and lots), I can’t…

Either I picked people who were never going to sign up to social netowrking, or as soon as they did, they found me and blocked me. That’s life though, when you leave a lot of broken hearts littering the emotional baggage carousels of life. 😐

EDIT: or they’ve all committed suicide. ❓

allthepies
    Free Member

From their ankles, on the 5th floor.

Northwind

For me with The Big Ex, we stayed in touch, then she had kids and became incredibly mumsy overnight and I thought “well out of that” Problem solved.

rone

Okay take a step back and perhaps don’t try so hard, just be around social groups that allow you to make friends first.

Maybe you should generally stay away from social networking.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

What is the permed-haired woman above? Odd, slightly funny in an odd way though. 🙂

ElShalimo

Google Bunny Boiler

mogrim

What is the permed-haired woman above? Odd, slightly funny in an odd way though.

Definitely a hint of “bunny-boiler” about her, though.

Gah! 29sec late!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What is the permed-haired woman above? Odd, slightly funny in an odd way though.

Glenn Close

Fatal Attraction (1987)

continuity
    Free Member

I can’t help but feel that the old suggestion of bombers might not help in this particular situation.

conkerman
    Free Member

Wow.

Watch Fatal Attraction.

Stay away from any ex. One of you didn’t want the other in their life for a reason.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find anger, loathing and resentment [ from either one of us] is great for helping get over an ex

Never tried to look one up on Social media either tbh

CountZero

There’s still one of my exes I have big regrets over, and miss terribly; my stupid fault we broke up. Most of the others I still keep in touch with, went to the weddings of two of them, and one is possibly one of my best friends, although contact is infrequent.
    If we do speak on the phone, the conversation can go on for a couple of hours… 😀

wilko1999
    Free Member

I spent years regretting splitting up with an ex. we’d been together for 5 years and were engaged. I finished it because I really fancied another girl and let my desires get the better of me. I didn’t want to go behind my fiancees back so I left her and shacked up with this new piece. So, my new piece turned out to be a complete **** and by the time I realised this and dumped her there was now way I could work things out with my ex-fiancee.

It took years of guilt and self-loathing before it dawned on me that I wouldn’t have left her in the first place if staying with her was the right thing to do. Now I’m very happily married with two brilliant kids and it turns out twatfink did me a favour by coming along and stopping me marrying someone who I really shouldn’t have married.

To summarise, she’s your ex for a reason, you’re feeling a bit lonely, stop bl88dy thinking about her, crack one off and go for a ride 😀

Esme
    Free Member

Rone wrote “and then bury”
    Bit extreme, that 😯

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

As my dear old gran used to say,
    “To get over someone,
    get under someone!”

qwerty
    Free Member

I don’t let go, I store them:

[/url]Grave by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

prettygreenparrot

Don’t look them up.

In a recent session I ran on social network use someone expressed surprise that if you browsed LinkedIn whilst logged in that folks could get the summary ‘weird old ex browsed your profile’ (I paraphrase). A few ‘stalking’ jibes ensued from other participants.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Tell them EVERYTHING you need to, as soon as you can, or suck it up.

I never said that I hope she dies a vestibule of visceral despair, pissing tears of burning regret having lived a life of sycophantic whoring and father **** fantasy.

I never got a chance. Now she writes for a national paper and I regret saying “Yeah you take care too”.

Edit: 7 years ago, happily settled now.

Cougar

This too will pass.

My exes are all either estranged now or good friends. It’s all too easy to look back with rose-tinted glasses but you split up for a reason.

Are you mourning the loss of a love or the loss of a friend? The latter was always more difficult for me I think, I’ve never had any real desire to go backwards with relationships and I haven’t the remotest romantic interest in exes, but losing touch with someone who you spent a lot of time talking to and knows you really well is pretty tough. After six years maybe that’s something you could salvage, you’ve had a clean break, time to be friends?

DezB
    Free Member

I have the same problem as the OP. Nagging desire to contact ex(s) even though in a happy relationship. Its caused me BIG trouble before, so I’ve learnt from that and the email address will remain unused! Otherwise I’m a complete idiot. (And not just a bit of one).
    There is nothing positive to be gained from it, that is for certain.

allthegear
    Free Member

Bridges are best…

Rachel

molgrips
    Free Member

Three of mine (there weren’t many more) are my friends on FB and I interact with them to varying degrees. They friended me so I guess I’m just a damn nice guy..

Despite this, having been told by her public profile that she’s now engaged – I’m actually feelling physically sick at the thought of it.

This, however, has also happened to me (not with one of the ones on FB). It was only a few years after the breakup and I did feel pretty bad about it. However it didn’t last. Life goes on and so do we.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think it’s always interesting to look up ex’s to see what there are up to and to stay friends if possible.

Life moves on though, and so should you (meant in a nice way)

welshfarmer

Haha, must be something in the air 🙂 I looked one of mine up last night after 27 years. Found her married with kids and living in Chile. Has a profile but not posted for a couple of years so I think I am safe.

duncancallum

I had a w$&k over an ex once. She’s a heavy sleeper and I Still had a key…

Sorry.

On a serious note you split for a reason. Life can be a bitch.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The only Ex. I stress about, I found her number in my 2004 iPod last month.

She was really shocked to get a call!

Married though, which kinda cheered me up. Got the shakes calling…just like old times [we had a wild time of it].

nickc

Do not measure your self worth based on what she’s doing well after you split up. Remember you rejected her, yes? She wasn’t good enough then, and she’s not good enough now.

You are, in effect, judging every gorgeous intelligent fun, sexy woman you’ve not met by her standards

Daft eh?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OP, does she have a sister?

franksinatra

I am 36 years old and split up with my first proper girlfriend when I was 18. I have been with my wife since I was 19, we have a brililant relationship and have been very happily married for 12 years and have three kids.

I haven’t seen my ex for 18 years but still have a thing for her.

No logic behind that.

mark90
    Free Member

My only significant long term relationship ex got married then upped sticks to France to live the ‘good life’ on a small holding. Not spoken to her since she left the country. Found out recently she has a two year old child. She was very much a career girl when we were together. Don’t want to go back there, but do still feel like I lost a good friend.

nick1962
    Free Member

Facebook link please,let us judge!

MoreCashThanDash

Loads of unresolved issues with my first proper ex girl-friend. We split up when I was 19 after 2-3 years. I’m 46 this year, happily married with two kids.

So is she, as far as I’m aware, though hers must be grown up now.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Do You Know Why?

Don’t Be that Way. Pick Yourself Up, Dry Your Eyes.
    No One Ever Tells You: The Saddest Thing of All….
    Out of Nowhere, The End of a Love Affair [is sometimes] Necessity

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Frank_Sinatra]Don’t Blame Me[/url]

franksinatra

Do You Know Why?

Yes I do. It is because she was a filthy little minx who enjoyed spending a disproportionate amount of time doing indescribable things in bed…….

spacemonkey

I still have a thing for my last serious ex. Only rational reason I’ve come up with is that she offered security in areas that I don’t think I have in current relationship. The downside is that she was a bit batsh1t mental at times. She went off travelling and voluntarily kept in touch with me. No bridges burned whatsoever. I’d meet up with her tomorrow if she happened to be passing. Nothing would come of it though.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve solved this problem by only ever having one partner my whole life. 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘How do you 'let go' of ex's?’ is closed to new replies.