Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • How do you know when you have too many bikes?
  • harryjan
    Free Member

1. Dawes Galaxy (circa 1978) for commuting/round town
    2. Spec Rockhopper HT (Replaced by the Ghost)
    3. Ghost 2978 FS 29er (Rapid!)

Keep meaning to sell the rockhopper (unused since last October), and with an Alps trip this summer and numerous Wales Trails trips planned I’m tempted to replace it with a 160mm front n’ back FS trail bike.

Although that would lead me into thinking of replacing the Ghost with a lighter 29er HT. *sigh*

NormalMan

I have 4 (ish) but still don’t get the question!

@ JoeG – where is that t-shirt from? I have certain friends that I need to wear that in front of!!

rocketman
    Free Member

For me the sacrificial bike is the one coated in last summer’s dust & dirt that ends up behind the others in the shed.

If I haven’t used it for a year I probably won’t use it again

Am down to three now with a big question mark over one of them

tomhoward

Normal Man, I got mine from amazon. It’s ace 🙂

tonyg2003

Current in low double figures, excluding MrsG’s two and MiniG’s 2. Garage is still not quite full but even I am having justifying any more 🙂 I need the space for a fun car!

Northwind

I just measure the dust, there’s an awful lot on top of my xc bike just now so it’s getting sold.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

When you time delivery for the days the Mrs is not home then try and conceal them somewhere where they won’t get clocked. 😉

MoreCashThanDash

I have a wife to tell me when I have too many bikes. Apparently 3 is the maximum acceptable number. The occassional appearance of a fourth prompts discussion about divorce.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like building and fiddling with bikes so don’t think that you can have too many.

Although I only have 3.5… bike bouncy bike that gets used for most rides, hardtail play/fun bike for short rides (this is currently getting used a fair amount), road bike (this got used the most last year I reckon) and a half built singlespeed to use a retro Cannondale that I have.

I don’t think I need anymore, but do often get tempted by old bikes that I could never afford when I first started riding even though I know that I’ll most likely not like it or use it!

mikertroid
    Free Member

There is a simple way to work out the bikes you actually need as a minimum:

Bikes needed = n + 1 where n = number of bikes owned.

As said, it’s a minimum. I’ve got five but can see two more coming before long.

NormalMan

Thanks tomhoward 🙂

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

When your wife leaves beacause of them. Then there are too many 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

@ JoeG – where is that t-shirt from? I have certain friends that I need to wear that in front of!!

I dunno – I just got the pic from google images. Looks like its from ebay, though. Anyhow, easy to find for sale online.

v12jat
    Free Member

this is a good thread! Its making me feel better about the 7 i have!

Tried so hard to keep to a 4 bike policy. it lasted for a bit too! But last year went a bit crazy and bought 2x new cx bikes, and a TT bike too (this has only done 20 miles since september last year – good investment!)

Currently got:
    26″ Hardtail
    29″ Hardtail
    TT Bike
    2x Cross bikes
    Old Cross Bike – now winter road bike
    Carbon road bike

I just love building and messing with them though, and still find myself looking at frames etc on ebay.. luckily my wife is very understanding and supportive of my addiction. although every time a package arrives at the house i do feel a but like i’m pushing my luck!

Still have a hankering after another Pace RC200 retro build….

shotsaway
    Free Member

I hadn’t ridden at all for the last 3 month, due to the weather and DIY after moving house. Last week I decided it was time to get out on the bike.

1) Tuesday – all went well
    2) Thursday – rear calliper seized on my FS after 5 miles ( I’ll fix it over the weekend!)
    3) Saturday – front puncture on my tubeless HT (the sealant had dried up – I’ll fix it over the weekend!)
    4) Sunday – walked to the pub and no maintenance carried out
    5) Monday – snapped a spoke on my road bike

So I’ve decided that 3 isn’t enough as all 3 were working last Monday but by this Monday they are all out of use. I’ll be busy this weekend.

I sold my kona Cindercone, Alan

I have two issues here….

You don’t call an old Kona Alan.

You don’t sell an old Kona.

Retire it to pub duties, use it to practice wheelies….

Just

DON’T

SELL

THE

OLD

KONA

or call it Alan

darkslider
    Free Member

I think 5 is about right.

A full on downhill bike (I started downhilling before I really took an interest in any other discipline and still love it)
    A 6″ travel trail bike
    A lightweight XC hardtail, this also gets used for the odd cross race.
    A hardcore singlespeed park/dirt jump hardtail
    And a road bike.

If I was really pushing the boat out I could perhaps make room for a winter trainer roadie and a dedicated cross bike, but I’m not into either discipline enough. A lightweight hardtail 29er would fit in there too, but I know really it would replace the 26″ bike which I want to keep out of sentimental value so I probably won’t get one for a while.

danielgroves
    Free Member

As of right now, I only have one. A rigid, single speed, 29er.

On the radar:
    Trail Bike (HT)
    Trail Bike (FS)
    Ti 1*10 Rigid 29er
    CX Bike

rocketman
    Free Member

A full on downhill bike

Full on is a bit of an overstatement but otherwise yup

A 6″ travel trail bike

Yup (5″)

A lightweight XC hardtail

Yup – its days are numbered

A hardcore singlespeed park/dirt jump hardtail

Yup that’s outside under a cover unused since last year

And a road bike.

Yup that’s currently in the loft

xiphon
    Free Member

I have 4 bikes, which all get ridden equally (if they aren’t in pieces, obviously)

DH (224) <- awaiting a rear wheel rebuild
    XC (Dialled PA)
    Road (Canondale CAAD-8)
    BMX (Dialled MX20)

@JoeG – that T-shirt is ace. Now I have one in the post, thanks to eBay. Cheers!

soulboy
    Free Member

n+1 is a good measure. You could use d-1 as the ideal number, where d is the number of bikes that leads to divorce. If you have d bikes, then you have too many… possibly!

instanthit
    Free Member

I have 6, house rules state i am only supposed to have 4 at any one time, but LBS was sellling very cheap dodgy land rover thing which is ideal for commute/pub/leave anywhere and CX bike (planet X XXL) that has snuck in last week.
    Singlespeed 29, ride loads.
    Cotic Soul, doesn’t get much use, 65 miles last year, so might have to go.
    Kinises Gran Fondo, winter bike, turbo.
    S works Tarmac, for all big road rides, alpine trips and sunny days.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I have 5 bikes on total, though one is for sale.

Cotic soul – probably most used.
    Liteville 301 – new, loving it
    Salsa vaya – touring bike, only ever did one big trip and never ended up using it. Soon to change though as I’m planning on using it as a baby transport machine.
    Brompton – Used as a runabout around town and doubles as gf’s bike.

Yeti 575 – for sale

Personally I think having 5 bikes is scandalous and provokes horrible feelings of guilt. Reading other contributions here makes me feel slightly better.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Personally I think having 5 bikes is scandalous and provokes horrible feelings of guilt. Reading other contributions here makes me feel slightly better.

So I feel better already about my 4 (the tandem doesn’t count as technically I only own the front end of that, despite “owning” the cleaning and maintenance of both ends)

My wife reluctantly accepts the number I have now, but any more would not go down too well. So it is satisfying to know that I have passed one of the STW benchmarks on the ideal number, but clearly I need to use my favourite bike a lot more.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t have too many bikes (7), I just don’t have enough sheds to keep them in.
    The less I ride, the more bikes I have.

Northwind

One thing I’ve learned is that there’s more than one threshold. Like, 4 mountain bikes wasn’t too many, til 2 of them were titanium, and at that point people started taking the piss. I reckon the same’s going to happen when I end up with 2 versions of the same bike, that’ll be officially worse than 2 different bikes. Fat bikes might be another. It’s like drum solos.

Oh and one singlespeed is too many of course 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I got sick of reminiscing about old bikes and how I missed them once I’d sold them. so I decided never to sell them.
    I don’t care if they don’t get used. Why do you HAVE to sell something just because it’s not being used? Especially something as wonderful as a bicycle.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Oh and one singlespeed is too many of course

👿

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

3 = too many

You need one you love and one you’ll happily drop in a beer garden / attach a child seat to etc

andyv
    Free Member

I have five.

Full suss Giant Trance X for proper biking fun.
    Hub geared Gary Fisher Sawyer for winter/trekking/kids/do anything (either rigid or with rebas depending on mood swings)
    Rigid On-One Lurcher Single speed
    Ridley Boreas Road bike, means to an end for fixed length clean training rides.
    A ebay supplied pink Raleigh Shopper bike that I did the SPAM winter challenge on, kept for the next event that I can slipstream lycra clad XC weanies on ;D (if only for the hilarious 30yds until I get dropped)

Tbh I have no need for the Lurcher beyond that it feels good to have and I built it, worth keeping for that alone. The pink shopper really should go!

Last week I needed a fat/no-fat bike. But now decided I don’t, or maybe I’ll see something at the Frome Bike Jumble that takes my fancy.

So all that blather probably indicates that I have no idea how to know when I have too many bikes.

Andy

epicyclo

I have a serious case of N + ?, so I have started on my N – 1 process on eBay.

If any of you lads need help with your N + 1, I can help. 🙂

There’s a few highly collectable items heading out the door eg

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Untitled by Bruce Ritchie, on Flickr

It’s not tidy or owt but it’s mine!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘How do you know when you have too many bikes?’ is closed to new replies.