Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • how do you get used to being punched in the face?
  • sc-xc

I have been kickboxing for about 2 1/2 years, and we are now training with full contact sparring. Do you get used to being lamped round the face and head, hit so hard that you can't stand up? 😐

CaptJon
    Free Member

Don't worry, eventually you'll have so few brain cells you'll not feel it. Try speeding up the process by banging your head against a wall or hit yourself with a rolling pin while watching TV.

Smee
    Free Member

You could try not getting hit.

iDave
    Free Member

try being better and hitting them very hard before they hit you

soobalias
    Free Member

roll with it.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Christ if you are only getting into full contact after that amount of time, they must be a bit slow in the club. Full contact usually starts after a couple of months. The pain of being twatted in the face, ear, lip, ribs, thigh or bollocks never goes away. The only time you don't really notice it is when you are winning a fight.
    Good luck.

sc-xc

we have just changed instructors, the old was was only semi…there's a big difference!

I am fine sparring against people at a similar level, it's the 2nd/3rd dans that are doing me 🙁

skidartist
    Free Member

I'm reminded of that clip Dennis Norden used to show of a bare knuckle boxer who had just won an all day elimination tournament.

Interviewer "What kind of state are you in after twelve consecutive knockout bouts?"
    Boxer "What state? erm, Idaho."

matt_bl
    Free Member

It's things like this that make me realise everyone is different.

I can't imagine getting used to being punched in the face, but I'm quite happy to get kicked up in the air for 90 minutes playing football.

Matt

sc-xc

You're right – after seeing some lads playing football I wouldn't have the bollox to get on the pitch, it's brutal. At least with kickboxing I expect to have to fight.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I would follow the training of these guys clicky

samuri
    Free Member

I packed in kickboxing when I realised half the blokes there weren't sure what day it was. I did a fair bit and then started competitions. Got the crap beaten out of me about 5 times by ruthless thugs with nothing to lose. Left. There are better martial arts out there, kickboxing is a silly one.

aracer
    Free Member

Why on earth would you want to get used to being punched in the face?

user-removed
    Free Member

Learn to block properly if you haven't already – tires out the opposition. Failing that, move to Aberdeen Circa 1990 – 95 (you'll need your time machine) and go out on a Saturday night. The AFCSC will pretty soon get you used to taking a cheekbone fracturing beating every week.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Well, I guess you will get used to it. Nerves will deaden, pain threshold will increase. I've never experienced "pain" as such when sparring with boxing gloves (12oz), more of a dull thudding combined with dizziness. Getting hit with 4oz gloves stings a lot, bare knuckles even more so. Adrenaline plays a big big factor though, when your blood is up you won't feel any pain. You may get knocked out but pain will be the last thing on your mind. If you can try easing into it – ask your sparring partner to start off and 60% intensity and gradually ramp it up.

Even if it continues to hurt so what. It lets you know you are alive right?

Pigface
    Free Member

You just go through it, I can only remember feeling pain while sparring once (boxing) got a really solid jab that nearly snapped my neck :-)right on the nose. That made me squeak. In a bout the adrenaline was flowing so much you didnt feel anything. Afterwards was a different matter. The boys who could get that kind of intensity into sparring were a bit scarey.

barca
    Free Member

"It lets you know you are alive"

I use breathing and conscious thought for that.

G
    Free Member

The fact that you need to ask, kind of implies that you need to quit…

Try this as a concept…. Pain = Gods way of telling you somethings wrong

Keva
    Free Member

I don't think you ever get used to it, that's why people do it whilst fighting. You can get hardened to it but it's still crap when it happens – no one like being clumped, it kind of squashes your ego like a gnat and makes you feel instantly defeated.
    The positive side of continually being hit by someone who is quicker and faster than you is that you will learn to defend yourself better, which is of course what you are trying to achieve – I presume.

Kev

coffeeking
    Free Member

I loved kickboxing (when I was there, dreaded going to it), I got used to being punched in the face fairly early on and then chose that over blocking as I could continue to fight while being punched. Doesnt go well with marks/competitions though, and eventually I started whiting out, decided to call it a day.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Have you no worries about long term damage? If not, you must be nuts!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

When I wasn't old enough to drink, myself and a couple of schoolie mates used to drink in bunch of pubs in a rough area where we usually got served. One night, in one of what I thought was one of the less rough pubs, we heard some noise coming from the function suite at the back of the boozer. One of us went to have a look and returned with the news that Thursday night was "Punch In The Pus" night,and this being Thursday, the competion was under way. It went like this – the contenders would step up to the 4'x4' dance floor and a coin would be tossed. The winner went first and punched the other anywhere in the facial area (known in East Scotland as The Pus, hence the term Punch In The Pus). If the loser of the coin toss didn't fall down, it was his shot (very few women involved so it was HIS shot), and so on until one of them fell down. And very entertainig it was too.

Anyway, some years later and I was working in bar when a relief manager was brought in because the usual manager was away on holiday. He brought his sidekick, Gus. Gus it turned out was the Undisputed Punch In The Pus Champion. All I can say, is you might get used to being hit, but I'd struggle to get used to looking like that.

shoefiti
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

Yikes!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

My reply to the original post would be 'more punching in the face' unfortunately.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Have you no worries about long term damage? If not, you must be nuts!

Talking to me or the OP? Me? Yes, that's why I stopped going. Doesnt seem to have affected me in any way. <tick> <tick>

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Replace you face with a cast iron mask.

Just try to stop the kids sticking fridge magents on your head, it won't do wonders for psyching the opposition out if you've got the alphabet liberally spread over your bonce.

mark_b
    Free Member

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘how do you get used to being punched in the face?’ is closed to new replies.